Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Primitivo Essentials in August

scubajunky

Hi All,
Just wondering whether Hiking boots and a waterproof coat are essential on this route in August or will it be sweltering hot ?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Not sure anyone can predict the weather, but we wore trail runners and shorts in September 2014.

It will likely be sweltering hot but I always carry rain gear. As for boots, I walked the Primitivo in trail runners (Salomon Ultra Gtx soemthing or other) and did just fine.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We did the Primitivo in May; I agree with Anemone del Camino -- trail runners all the way (with good soles -- grip) and raingear on any hike. Have a great hike! Don't miss the cultural museum in Grandas de Salime if it is open!

You don't need hiking boots.....I think it's safe to say that. And if you take rain gear it will be swelteringly hot; but if you don't it will be pouring rain.....I think it's safe to say that too. I wore gortex lined trail shoes and had rain pants based upon my theory that, if it's raining, it's important to protect your socks and keep them dry. Worked pretty well in some moderate rain.

It's worth remembering that when walking not to compromise of safety. Even if it does not rain a waterproof will add an extra layer of warmth if needed for very little extra weight. I plan on walking in trail shoes and merino socks. Which is a popular combination. Remember that whatever boot / shoe you choose that good foot care is essential.

For anyone who did not know it is possible to buy a pair a pair of 10oz boots.

Inov8 roclite 286 gtx

https://www.inov-8.com/men/roclite-286-gtx.html

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
So is the walk actually in the mountains or on trails / paths ? is ankle protection not required ?

That one of the questions that has plenty of opinions. My answers is no you do not need ankle protection. There is plenty of information that says ankle support can lead to weaker ankles. Most people walk in lightweight trail shoes. But do find what suits you to walk in.

So is the walk actually in the mountains or on trails / paths ? is ankle protection not required ?

For me at 70+ years old, on these stony tracks, I would say "yes". However, it does depend on your level of fitness, age (weaker bone structure) and previous injuries. I do not have a problem with sweaty feet, so light boots work well, but everyone is different! You will have to decide for yourself what is best for you.

DSCF2330.JPG Down from Puerto de Palo

DSCF2352.JPG Down from La Mesa

More photos on our blog here:- http://camino-primitivo-2012.blogspot.co.uk/

Blessings on your planning
Tio Tel

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have a choice between trainers and hiking boots, I can see that ankle support could weaken you but on certain terrain they are essential, but if the Primitivo is the same under foot as any other camino I'm sure running trainers would be fine. I just assumed that as the route was in the mountains that would be a good idea to have ankle support.

Hi, scubajunky. I have walked the Primitivo in both boots and something like this https://www.rei.com/product/846715/salomon-ellipse-gtx-hiking-shoes-womens

Not sure what you call it but it is boot-like in its tread, but low like a trainer. I think I switched out of boots about 8 years ago, and I have never had an ankle problem. Mybe that's because I am quite obsessive about using my hiking poles with every step I take. If I didn't have them being planted into the ground with every foot strike, a lot of my slips would have turned into falls and probably ankle twistings.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.