Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Primitivo, first 10 days of April 2023?

david marquez

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino del Norte-Primitivo April-May 2018
I may end up doing the Primitivo from Oviedo to Lugo the first 10 days of April 2023. Anyone here have experience with the Primitivo that early in the season. I did it the last week pf April and beginning of May 2018 and I had horrendous weather on the Hospital route. If I do this I will do the hospital route again.
mostly concerned about Albergues being open along the way..

Last edited by a moderator:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I did it in 2020 and was stopped in Lugo by Covid in Italy. Planning to redo next year starting in March I expect the weather to be a challenge and some Albergues to be closed. I doubt the Hospitales route will be good for either of us. Usually the Samblismo Albergue opens mid April. Buen Camino

Last edited:
Check gronze.com to see if they list opening dates of the albergues on the Primitivo. I know for the Norte I was able to check opening/closing dates of albergues. And on the Frances/Norte/Primitivo they did mark open vs closed albergues pretty accurately, even during 2021/COVID closures.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Still need to study the routes / alternative routes!
Very Best
Capt Bonnie

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'm planning on walking the Salvador and Primitivo in mid May 2023. The hills and weather will be quite challenging.
Did this recently, fantastic route. Hopefully the weather will favour you! I remember May-June this year quite well, 2 long heat waves and the week in between was raining everyday. I think the people walking the Salvador in May this year enjoyed a lot of the sun, as the high altitude took away some of the heat (@jungleboy and @BobY333?).

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I may end up doing the Primitivo from Oviedo to Lugo the first 10 days of April 2023. Anyone here have experience with the Primitivo that early in the season. I did it the last week pf April and beginning of May 2018 and I had horrendous weather on the Hospital route. If I do this I will do the hospital route again.
mostly concerned about Albergues being open along the way..
Easter is April 9th, thus, Holy week is 2-8. You may encounter closures in various places along the way. Of course you may also encounter some festivals or other activities as well. Buen Camino!

My plan is to walk the Primitivo early April. Will probably start the week after Easter.

I am arriving in Oviedo late in the evening on April 12th, where/when can I get my hands on a pilgrim passport?

I would like to get of to an early start the next day, so I would prefer to get this sorted on the 12th.

And, I would be grateful for a recommendation on a cheap, and central, hostel for one night in the same city.

Really looking forward to this, almost five years after I did the Frances.

Thanks!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am arriving in Oviedo late in the evening on April 12th, where/when can I get my hands on a pilgrim passport?

I would like to get of to an early start the next day, so I would prefer to get this sorted on the 12th.

And, I would be grateful for a recommendation on a cheap, and central, hostel for one night in the same city.

Really looking forward to this, almost five years after I did the Frances.

Thanks!
According to Gronze the Albergue de Peregrinos de El Salvador sells credencials for €3. About 800m from the Cathedral. No reservations

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
According to Gronze the Albergue de Peregrinos de El Salvador sells credencials for €3. About 800m from the Cathedral. No reservations
Or buy a credential from this website?

Buen Camino
Lettinggo

I am already sorted, but thanks for the heads up.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Perhaps useful for other peregrinos; I tried to book the albergue in Samblismo on the 15th of April but it is not open yet…

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back