Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Primitivo - General Comments

markss

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances from SJPP (3/10 & 10/10); Primitivo (6/12)
After having twice exprerienced walking the Camino Frances Route, during the first half of June, 2012 I walked the Primitivo. A few general miscellaneous comments and comparisons follow to add to other comments on the forum.

The route itself is indeed beautiful. While it is more mountainous than the Frances, I did not find any particular part of it any more difficult. The challenge comes in that it is day after day of hills with no easier day's respite. If I were to recommend between the two routes to a first time Camino traveler I would suggest the Frances. This for the diversity of terrain as well as of the people. If you've already done the Frances, the Primitivo is definately worth the experience. (Subject to qualifications described below.)

On the subject of the people, at the time of my travel they were overwhelmingly Spanish. There was also less of an age diversity than on the Frances Route as most tended to be in the 40-55 year old catagory. In general almost all spoke exclusively Spanish. Yes it is Spain and that is the language, but one not fluent in speaking it can feel very isolated both along the route and in the albergues. Although personally fluent in Spanish and accompanied by friends from Spain, I noticed the few non Spanish pilgrims seeming to find it difficult to fully engage in conversation and often not included in general socialization in albergues. On the French route it is much easier to interact with others to whatever level one desires. The Primitivo will not provide the same international diversity that the Frances provides.

In early June there were few people walking the route. As a consequence finding space in albergues was never a problem. In fact there were very few fellow pilgrims encountered during each day's walk. Apparently this is not the case in July and August. That said, I would caution that only the hardiest of adventurers take this route from about mid October through mid April. The trails are mountainous, muddy and I would imagine snow and other weather conditions could be a bit difficult and perhaps hazardous in colder months.

A personal issue with me is an irrational fear of walking along side steep drop offs. This, despite what others have said, is a major concern along the Primitivo. There are numerous areas with long stretches of steep drop offs. People who don't share this fear may not even be mindful of the matter. Those that do would take note and may have problems. Frankly I don't know how I made it without such panic kicking in. Once that occurs there is no way to moderate it. However, unfortuantely for this reason I would never walk this route again. Similar conditions did not exist on the Frances Route.

My preference on the Frances was to walk without assistance of walking poles or stick. Due to the extensively hilly terrain and mud I would recommend walking poles on the Primitivo.

The subject of albergues seems to be well covered in other posts. I only add that the one in Grandas de Salime that others described in dreadful terms has now been replaced with a nice new albergue.

Buen Primitivo!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Mark,

Thank you for this really informative and helpful post.

I too am afraid of falling down heights and was scared at times between Tiacastela and Samos.
The more we know about something the better decision we can all make.

Lydia

I think that the most difficult stretch is the last part coming off of Buspol. At the left turn marked to Grandas 7.00 it should be possible to go straight ahead on the cyclists route. Longer maybe but if you turn left there is a steep drop at your side for much of the last part down.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks for this post: I will start in Bayonne in early September and will walk the Camino del Norte and then the Primitivo. It seems I have still a few weeks to improve my knowledge of Spanish before I hit the camino :eek:

A personal issue with me is an irrational fear of walking along side steep drop offs. This, despite what others have said, is a major concern along the Primitivo. There are numerous areas with long stretches of steep drop offs. People who don't share this fear may not even be mindful of the matter. Those that do would take note and may have problems. Frankly I don't know how I made it without such panic kicking in. Once that occurs there is no way to moderate it. However, unfortuantely for this reason I would never walk this route again. Similar conditions did not exist on the Frances Route.

Hi markss
Thanks for the thoughtful post!
I am one of those who does not really notice a drop alongside the trail! For those who do, it may be helpful if you could list the difficult stretches. Having walked the Primitivo twice (2009 and 2012) I am aware that there are alternatives in some places. It would be a pity for someone to avoid the route altogether if they could get round the problem areas.
As far as the scenery goes it is well worth the effort!

Blessings
Tio Tel

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
TerryB said:
I am one of those who does not really notice a drop alongside the trail! For those who do, it may be helpful if you could list the difficult stretches. Having walked the Primitivo twice (2009 and 2012) I am aware that there are alternatives in some places. It would be a pity for someone to avoid the route altogether if they could get round the problem areas.
As far as the scenery goes it is well worth the effort!

Blessings
Tio Tel

One of many specific sections that comes to mind is a latter stage where there is a long descent toward a lake, followed by a bridge crossing at the damn, then ascention back up the mountain on the roadway. There are many more along this route; far too many areas to find alternatives. Anyone who might have had the slightest unease on the Frances Route while crossing from SJPP to Roncesvalles or with the climb up to O'Cebriero (neither of which bothered me) will not like the Primitivo. The drop offs on the Primitivo are far more in number and severity. The pity would be for one to attempt this route only to become panic stricken. When filled with terror one does not see the beauty of the surroundings, they feel terrorfied!

There is no actual danger, it is all perception that is admittedly irrational. I'll mention that It is not the same as a fear of heights. As an analogy: some have a fear of flying. They might avoid it altogether or at best travel with a great deal of discomfort. Why take this route on the Camino only to be uneasy, not only while crossing areas that may bother you, but also uneasy with the contemplation of what may follow. That does not make for an optimum Camino experience.

Again for most people, those without this concern, the Primitivo is a beautiful route well worth taking. It is for those few who share this crazy phobia that I express caution and recommend they might consider another Camino route. I do not want to overemphasize this to the point of discouraging anyone by leaving an impression that they would be walking on the edge of a cliff - that is not the case. The point is that the drop offs are far more severe than anything on the Frances.

Although I really enjoyed the Primitivo Route and was able to suppress my fear; perhaps because of the comfort of walking with companions, perhaps to hide any fear from them, I would not test fate and do it again!

I am one of those who does not really notice a drop alongside the trail! For those who do, it may be helpful if you could list the difficult stretches.

Hello again markss,
I asked the question because we will be sending a list of "updates" to the Confraternity here in the U.K. for inclusion in a new edition of the Camino Primitivo Guide and it is always helpful to have another point of view. The descent from Buspol to the dam is the one mentioned above by Tia Valeria. In 2009 the weather was so bad that I walked the road from Berducedo to Grandas This year we walked over the top via la Mesa and Buspol. We made a note that the track was rough and steep and there is the alternative of the 'cyclists route', following the road to the dam.
If any other sections come to mind, feel free to send a PM or post on here.
No phobia is 'crazy'! The slightest roll on a ferry crossing and you will find me in my bunk with my head under the sheets. Some 'crazy' people seem to enjoy it!!!

Blessings
Tio Tel

I completed the Primitive Way after Easter 2012. My boyfriend and I walked together choosing a very robust, quiet time of year for a reason, we set off from Oviedo on March 29th 2012. We encountered snow, sleet and mist & rain, it was the most amazing route for it's sheer beauty, yes you do need to be fitter and tougher - it does not possess the 'social aspect' of the french way.

Some days you walk 30km to get to an alberque and finding somewhere in the cold in march to have a hot drink often meant walking further with very little time for the back pack to come off due to the cold conditions. Would I change a single part of it? Never. The experience was worth it.

At one point I was walking with all the clothing I had brought (a little too light having done parts of the french way in better climates!). I took some amazing photos, saw wild boar, mistletoe growing on wild holly in dazzling mountaineous remote areas, spied buzzards, kestrels, heard cuckoos and for the sheer majesty of the landscape I would recommend this route for anyone who prefers the 'road less travelled'.

I returned closer to myself, to God and to the pilgrim I still love. Well, I still love you.

B

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Nice to know that the dreadful albergue in Grandas has been replaced. I really love the place (except the albergue).

It is a beautiful mountain trail. I do recall some steep areas but without strong winds, nothing to worry about. Here's my definitive shot of the Camino Primitivo to share.

Image113.jpg

Re: Primitivo - General Comments to Evan's post

Ha your photo epitimises the Primtive Way, I can go one better, one of the very tiny grassy paths between two fields in Austurias came to a field with a mere barb of wire separating my boyfriend and I from a very alrge, very robust and very protective Bull! small calf in close proximity so we got the full ground stimping, mud scraping and bellowing aspect of Senor Torro.

I was ready to jump into another field regardless of getting torn on barbed wire luckily I spied more bulls in that field also. we got past safely but it was very adrenaline pumping stuff! Boy did we laugh afterwards (within safe distance!) : )

These would probably have been horned cows with calves, protecting their young. 'The female of the species is more deadly than the male'.
You are OK if you do not get between mother and calf, or look threatening. We passed this one on the road with a crash barrier between us.

Attachments

• cow and calf.jpg
    cow and calf.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 2,837
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Like these two 'ladies' seen late one afternoon being led through the cente of Arzua :)

We loved the wildlife on the Primitivo itself; wild horses near Puerta de Palo, deer etc...
Our awareness of wild ponies on Dartmoor and warnings given is that they can be a bite at one end and a kick at the other. Nice to photograph, not to touch.

Attachments

• cows Arzua.jpg
    cows Arzua.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 2,718
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
oh I am so thankful and relieved someone who shares my terror of steep drop-offs has documented and posted this. My husband has been pushing for the Primitivo over options, for our first Camino. And I searched through the Primitivo posts looking for this specific info - because there's nothing worse than to find yourself in this predicament in the middle of a hike, with no return. It happened to me in Zion National Park (Utah) a couple of years ago. People who do not share this terror must think it very strange. Tia, it would be great to include info about steep drop offs in future revisions, and yes, suggested detours if there are some.

Hi, just returned from Primitivo.
I'd like to encourage those who have read in the Forum that Primitivo is doable in not less than 11 days. I and my colleague Latvian priest Andris started on the 12th of May from Oviedo and did it in 8 days!
We started walking early (around 7 a.m.) every day and walked 10-12 hours per day. As a result at the end we even were able to attend the next Sunday's Pilgrims Mass (to be absolutely precise we started with the Pilgrims Office and were in the Cathedral for the Consecration part of the Holy Mass..).

1. 12/05/2013 Oviedo - Cornellana - 35 kms
2. 13/05/2013 Cornellana - Campiello - 43 kms
3. 14/05/2013 Campiello - La Messa (through Pola de Allande) - 37 kms
4. 15/05/2013 La Messa - Padron - 41 kms
5. 16/05/2013 Padron - Lugo - 54 kms
6. 17/05/2013 Lugo - As Seixas (using Via Romana) - 32 kms
7. 18/05/2013 As Seixas - Brea (Meson San Miguel) - 44 kms
8. 19/05/2013 Brea - Santiago de Compostela - 26 kms.

Distances between stays were measured using my HTC phone's Endomondo application and do not match perfectly those I found at Gronze.com site.

Juris (from Latvia)

Hi,

Mark said: On the subject of the people, at the time of my travel they were overwhelmingly Spanish. There was also less of an age diversity than on the Frances Route as most tended to be in the 40-55 year old category.....

Is that true? Because we are both under 30 and our Spanish arent so good... only the basic..

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi,

.... they were overwhelmingly Spanish. There was also less of an age diversity than on the Frances Route as most tended to be in the 40-55 year old category.....

Is that true? Because we are both under 30 and our Spanish arent so good... only the basic..

Of the 6 people I became close to on the Primitivo, 3 were under 30, 2 were under 40, and one was old like me. Nationalities -- two Canadians, one US, one Salvador, two Spain

Of course, everyone's experience will vary, but my point is just that you never know who you will find on the Camino. This Camino is very popular with Spaniards, especially in August. Buen camino, Laurie

Yes exactly , u can meet anyone , any range of age, any nationality, i should know that from the Frances... i just read it and commented on it..

But one of the best parts of the camino are the vary people you meet along the way so the worst thing is to be too quite and not meet people i guess... :)

Of the 6 people I became close to on the Primitivo, 3 were under 30, 2 were under 40, and one was old like me. Nationalities -- two Canadians, one US, one Salvador, two Spain

Of course, everyone's experience will vary, but my point is just that you never know who you will find on the Camino. This Camino is very popular with Spaniards, especially in August. Buen camino, Laurie
Well, we are a real mixture of a family. I am English, husband Adriaan is Dutch, both children born in Italy and prefer speaking Italian to English. All 5 grandchildren born in Costa Rica, where we live. With the 3 eldest grandchildren, who now live in Lugano ( Switzerland) we speak in Italian and with the two youngest ones, we speak in Spanish. Both Adriaan and I speak 6 languages, ( he better than me), so we really don't have a problem of communicating with people. Oh, yes, we are "old" - over 70. Starting the Primitivo on 19th September. Anne

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Anna - you are truly blessed in many ways - to have a close, loving family, to be a linguist, and to have the health and strength to walk the camino: so many people of our age simply can't do it.
I offer up a prayer of thanks on each walk I take - long or short.
Blessings - and buen camino in September.

Hello,

One last thing to concern me is the weather up in the mountains on September... Based your own experience, will we need to bring winter clothing? how is it during the day ?

I don't mean the rain because i know that it can rain any time of the year ... i mean the temperature.

thnx
Antonis

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi, Antonis,
I think we have to preface every comment about the weather with the caveat that the weather is crazy and there are routinely wide deviations from historical norms so you never know. But I walked the Primitivo once in late Sept/early Oct. and the coldest part was leaving Leon (I also added on the four days of the Salvador from Leon to Oviedo.) Though we did see snow in the mountains once near Tineo, it was at much higher elevations.

I walked with a lightweight fleece and a rain jacket, which is what I also carry when I walk in May/June, and I was fine. I think extreme cold is unlikely at that time of year. But I also always carry a pair of lambswool gloves since my hands get cold quickly and I remember using them quite a bit in the early mornings. Hope the weather is good to you, too. Buen camino, Laurie

I'm reading back through Primitivo threads, trying to find information that will help me to decide whether it really is necessary to carry a sleeping bag in mid to late June. We will definitely have silk liners and will be carrying fleece jackets and thermals (long sleeve tops and long johns). I am very keen to keep weight down (and out bags weigh 1.1kg), but at the same time I hate being cold. If I knew I could find blankets I would leave the sleeping bags in the interests of reducing the weight. But I don't want to be stoopid in the mountains! Please help!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Assuming that you mean long sleeved thermals and the fleeces, as well as the longjohns and silk liner you would probably be OK. I took 2 sets of the thermals (long sleeved top and longjohns) and fleece this year, which is much lighter than having the sleeping bag. In May we used blankets in the mountains, but by our return in late May it was warming up. For you in mid June it should be warm enough. (Note - I hate being cold too)

Last edited:
Hi, Rachel, so you've moved on to sleeping equipment -- does that mean you have made a decision about rain gear? Or just switching conundrums for a while? :)

I always carry a sleeping bag, it weighs less than a kilo and I always use it on a fair number of nights no matter what time of year. But I'm someone who wore lambs wool gloves in the morning for weeks this past May walking from Valencia, so that should tell you I am what the Spaniards call "friolera."

I think the answer depends on which of these two things you would rather say at the end of the Primitivo --

Gee, I wish I had taken a sleeping bag, I was cold a lot!

or -- Gee, I wish I had left that sleeping bag at home, I rarely used it!

(Of course, we'd all like to be able to say, I was so smart and made exactly the right decision and the weather cooperated, but if that's not going to be what happens, which of those two is the next best?)

Buen camino, kiwi-mama, Laurie

Laurie, are you aware of anywhere, especially before Lugo, that has no blankets? We found blankets OK but were using mostly private albergues/'habitaciones'.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am going to have to hope others have better memories than I do. I remember being very cold in Cornellana but have no memory of whether that was with or without a blanket. I vaguely remember there were no blankets in Grandas but I may be wrong about that. I know you won't be cold in the albergue in Berducedo because heat just pours out of different places there. But that's about all I can remember, and I know it's not too helpful. Laurie

It may be that the arrows leading out of Oviedo have been re-marked. There was a discussion years ago here;-
http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/camino-primitivo-may-2009.6274/#post-36898
My problem was finding the right street to take out of the 'Plaza de Liberación'. Again, Laurie may be able to help!
If you visit the Naranco churches you need not go back into the city centre.
http://www.caminodesantiago.me/comm...and-escamplero-for-day-one.19398/#post-150292

Blessings
Tio Tel

I have no memory of the Plaza de la Liberacion. Looking on the map, I can't really identify where it was, though it looks like it's before the crossing of the RR tracks. Is that right?

When I walked the Primitivo in 2012, I had no problem getting out of Oviedo, but I had a problem when I got to that spot where all the new development was supposed to go in but was never built -- roads, curbs, street lights, sidewalks, all the infrastructure is there, but no houses/apts and no arrows! (I believe that area is called La Florida). We had to ask someone, who pointed us on our way to the first little hamlet up the hill with the chapel whose name now also escapes me.

The city of Oviedo has banned yellow arrows and has inserted bronze scallop shells into the sidewalks. True, it's much more aesthetically pleasing but its also easier to get lost.

Last edited:
[...]The city of Oviedo has banned yellow arrows and has inserted bronze arrows into the sidewalks. True, it's much more aesthetically pleasing but its also easier to get lost.
Laurie, I'm compelled to buy a compass! :p

i guess we will find our way when we are there... even if we get lost we will ask for directions :)

No worries!

I think you will find that the Primitivo route is generally well known. Asking for directions is always a good idea, though in my experience men are a lot more reluctant to do that than women. ;) Even with no Spanish, all you have to say is "Camino?" and wait for a hand gesture!

I think you will find that the Primitivo route is generally well known. Asking for directions is always a good idea, though in my experience men are a lot more reluctant to do that than women. ;) Even with no Spanish, all you have to say is "Camino?" and wait for a hand gesture!

We'll be there very soon! Plan to start walking Monday or Tuesday from Oveido; we will definitely be asking direcciones!! Burn Camino!!

The Norte and Primitivo take slightly differing routes out of Oviedo. Be sure to name the Camino you intend to take

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The Norte and Primitivo take slightly differing routes out of Oviedo. Be sure to name the Camino you intend to take

Good point, Tia. Make sure that you turn LEFT before the train station, and you will then be on the Primitivo. I don't remember seeing any markings inside Oviedo that made a distinction between Camino Primitivo and Camino del Norte in Oviedo.

Buen camino, GaryandKatie, looks like we have a bunch of forum members starting off on the Primitivo soon. Hope to hear from all of you! Laurie

good info to know Tia about Norte and primitivo option... imagine to take the wrong route because you just said camino! :p

Starting on Monday too ! Can wait! :)

Buen Camino

Buen Camino to you all :D

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm sure we'll see you along the way Antonis... There is a chance we will hang out in Oveido on Monday, sleep in, see the churches (Naranco), enjoy Oveido, and then take off bright and early Tuesday!!! We aren't sure, my wife Katie really wants to start Mon, I'm more inclined for Tuesday but-and I do get her wanting to start right away----after all the planning, dreaming, training, wondering (and wandering), we're both 'rarin' to go.... Our first, of many, I am sure, Camino negotiation! Buen Camino!!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yes we probably see you Gary !
We are starting on Monday for sure! I know Oviedo has many nice places to see but we haven't got so much time!

....I always carry a sleeping bag, it weighs less than a kilo and I always use it on a fair number of nights no matter what time of year. ...
The debate on this subject has come up today whilst packing for next week's start on the Primitivo. My reserve is in the weight and bulk of a sleeping bag. I'll carry one, but if I can find a decent liner in Oviedo, I'll probably swap it with the bag. Albergues have blankets so why not use a liner? o_O

The debate on this subject has come up today whilst packing for next week's start on the Primitivo. My reserve is in the weight and bulk of a sleeping bag. I'll carry one, but if I can find a decent liner in Oviedo, I'll probably swap it with the bag. Albergues have blankets so why not use a liner? o_O
It was cold when I walked the Primitivo and I needed a blanket over my lightweight sleeping bag. I would have needed two blankets if I'd only had a liner.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I agree with you Julie. In Castro I had 2 blankets over my sleeping bag in the albergue. Fortunately we were 2 in a 4 bed room. I had the outer wall which let cold in :eek: so had one blanket doubled over as insulation between me and the wall.

I would go with the sleeping bag and no liner if using albergues. This year we took no bags/liners as we used all private accomodation and will do the same next, but for albergues we would not want to be without the bags (weigh 750gms each)

Buen Camino

Starting the Primitivo on 19th September. Anne

Annakappa...I'm going to be really interest to get you take on this route! We're looking at roughly this time of year to so seeing your starting this week is exciting!! Buen Camino and may the rain clouds stay away!!

Karin, I'll let you know how it goes. We will try and post if we find a wifi facility ( we take a mini IPod - not IPad, but we need wifi!
Weather forcast looks good, at least for the next week. It will certainly be getting fresher at nights. We will see! Anne

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back