Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Primitivo in 8 days

jurissuits

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino France (from Sarria) in April/May 2010, Camino Primitivo in May 2013
Hi, just returned from Primitivo.
I'd like to encourage those who have read in the Forum that Primitivo is doable in not less than 11 days. I and my colleague Latvian priest Andris started on the 12th of May from Oviedo and did it in 8 days!
We started walking early (around 7 a.m.) every day and walked 10-12 hours per day. As a result at the end we even were able to attend the next Sunday's Pilgrims Mass (to be absolutely precise we started with the Pilgrims Office and were in the Cathedral for the Consecration part of the Holy Mass..).

1. 12/05/2013 Oviedo - Cornellana - 35 kms
2. 13/05/2013 Cornellana - Campiello - 43 kms
3. 14/05/2013 Campiello - La Messa (through Pola de Allande) - 37 kms
4. 15/05/2013 La Messa - Padron - 41 kms
5. 16/05/2013 Padron - Lugo - 54 kms
6. 17/05/2013 Lugo - As Seixas (using Via Romana) - 32 kms
7. 18/05/2013 As Seixas - Brea (Meson San Miguel) - 44 kms
8. 19/05/2013 Brea - Santiago de Compostela - 26 kms.

Distances between stays were measured using my HTC phone's Endomondo application and do not match perfectly those I found at Gronze.com site.

Juris (from Latvia)

P.S. You can do it!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You guys are machines! I'm planning on taking two weeks+!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am looking at various routes to do during a two to three month period on the caminos during 2014 summer. If I do +- 18km per day will I find an albergue every night on the Primitivo? I will be walking on my own, female of 70y, and want the solitude, but do not want to or even need to make a race of it.

If you check out our blogs you will see that we took a good long time to walk the Primitivo and had no problem with accomodation. We did not use the public albergues last year but a mix of private albergues and hospedajes. Terry took his time too in 2009 when there was less infrastructure and also had no problem using mostly albergues.
We like to take time to look around as we walk and also, for me, a 15km day is about the right distance. As you will see from the blogs Terry walked some longer distances and our longest day together was just over the 20kms which I see as my maximum.
http://camino-primitivo-2012.blogspot.co.uk/ (runs from start to finish)
http://walktocompostela.blogspot.co.uk/ (runs start to finish, then normal 'blogwise')

Buen Camino

jurissuits said:
I'd like to encourage those who have read in the Forum that Primitivo is doable in not less than 11 days. I and my colleague Latvian priest Andris started on the 12th of May from Oviedo and did it in 8 days!

Why? Was somebody chasing you? SY

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
It is known that Apostle St.James was one of the first people who received blessing of the Holy Spirit. It was after the 3rd day on Camino when we realised that it is real to attend the Whit Sunday's Holy Mass directly in the Cathedral where the Tomb of St.James is located. It was so attractive oportunity that we started pushing ourselves forward with every step. And succeeded. Of course it could seem quite a race but it was a race against ourselves...

P.S. Anyway we had only 11 days for walking instead of planned 14, "thanks" to AerLingus flight schedule changes...

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.