Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Primitivo in April?

jennysa

Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2011,2012 2013,2014, 2015 Aragones 2012, 2017 2018 Via Francigena 2016,2017 Primitivo 2018,2019
I have trawled through the posts but cant find anything about the weather in April. Is it OK to walk in April or is snow likely?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I walked in early May and there was no snow. Rain is likely. It was hot in early May, that’s why this year we’re doing the Invierno route in mid April. Cut down on the heat. There’s always a chance for a freak snowfall but in April, statistically, you’re looking at about a 25% chance of some sort of precipitation. A dusting of snow is nothing. Just prepare for whatever your comfort level is.
I hike in real snow and in the single digits and below zero temps in the same amount of layers most people on this forum wear when it’s a warm 60 degrees :). So you have to know your comfort level and remember that you will be carrying a pack and walking up steep hillsides. It’s okay to feel a little cool starting out. I think some inexperienced hikers think they need to feel perfectly comfortable or be sweating when they walk.

Here’s a link to historical data and averages. Just search for the different towns along the way:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/primitivo-in-april.59678/

And I just saw you are from South Africa....So you’ll probably freeze :) LOL

Is it OK to walk in April or is snow likely?

Hi Jenny, I did the Primitivo from 13 April last year, and the weather was great. It was a perfect cool, sunny day to take the Hospitales route, which had a small amount of snow still on the path at the top, but easy to cross.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello to all,
I'm also interesting in the weather in the end of April + the start of May for my the first camino (Camino Primitivo). So thanks a lot for all your tips.

Many thanks.
And what does it mean "perfect temps"? Are there necessary some warm gloves, warm cap, scarf...?
Maybe yes for Primitivo situated between 600 - 1000 m of altitude.

I have trawled through the posts but cant find anything about the weather in April. Is it OK to walk in April or is snow likely?

Jennysa:

I walked in April. The weather was fine. There was some snow but there were also 25C days and mud.

The weather is unpredictable. Pick a time that suits your schedule. Bring rain gear and adjust to whatever weather you have.

Ultreya,
Joe

I do not understand this general question about weather. No one can predict the weather. The professionals, people who get paid to do this, have a tough time doing it more than 48 hours out.

Last year or the year before are not good indicators of this years weather during same period.

I remember walking the Norte, beginning April 1st. A member who lives in Bilbao told me I would very likely have a lot of rain. The first 21 days, I had sun and 20C. Not a drop. I hit Galacia and it rained the next 7 days.

I suggest to all, "Do not worry about the weather". Bring rain gear and wear when required.

Ultreya,
Joe

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Many thanks.
And what does it mean "perfect temps"? Are there necessary some warm gloves, warm cap, scarf...?
Maybe yes for Primitivo situated between 600 - 1000 m of altitude.
For me it means perfect temps for walking, not too cold, not too hot, but everyone's different. I always bring gloves, hat, and buff. They don't have to be heavy. Sometimes I've used them in the morning, but never needed them throughout the day.

I do not understand this general question about weather. No one can predict the weather. The professionals, people who get paid to do this, have a tough time doing it more than 48 hours out.

Last year or the year before are not good indicators of this years weather during same period.

I remember walking the Norte, beginning April 1st. A member who lives in Bilbao told me I would very likely have a lot of rain. The first 21 days, I had sun and 20C. Not a drop. I hit Galacia and it rained the next 7 days.

I suggest to all, "Do not worry about the weather". Bring rain gear and wear when required.

Ultreya,
Joe

Yes nobody can predict weather. But scientifically calculated weather averages is a good way to gauge what can be expected. This is the information that people are looking for. What can be expected.

Yes nobody can predict weather. But scientifically calculated weather averages is a good way to gauge what can be expected. This is the information that people are looking for. What can be expected.

Alaskadiver:

You can get all the information, from every source possible on weather for an area. It is all basically useless for a two week Primitivo walk in the Spring. It might rain, snow, be sunny, cloudy, dry or muddy. More than likely it will be all of the above.

Therefore, be prepared for all of the above and adjust as each day presents itself.

A Camino is a week to two months walk through a variety of topography not a vacation in a particular place in Spain.

Ultreya,
Joe

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Alaskadiver:

You can get all the information, from every source possible on weather for an area. It is all basically useless for a two week Primitivo walk in the Spring. It might rain, snow, be sunny, cloudy, dry or muddy. More than likely it will be all of the above.

Therefore, be prepared for all of the above and adjust as each day presents itself.

A Camino is a week to two months walk through a variety of topography not a vacation in a particular place in Spain.

Ultreya,
Joe
It is possible to look at weather averages for all the areas along the Primitivo. I know, because I've actually walked the Primitivo and used the weather data. I knew that I didn't need snow gear based on the information. Actually I wouldn't need it even in Spain's version of winter, but that's another subject.

I agree you should be prepared, especially if you feel snow will be a problem for you. No need to come across so aggressive. Relax :) People just want information and telling them to just ignore historical data and pack their closet isn't really helpful either.

You'll get a better idea the closer you get to April. But looking at weather patterns this winter, I'll take a guess you'll be fine. Just take layers and some rain gear and keep an eye on the weather.

It is possible to look at weather averages for all the areas along the Primitivo. I know, because I've actually walked the Primitivo and used the weather data. I knew that I didn't need snow gear based on the information. Actually I wouldn't need it even in Spain's version of winter, but that's another subject.

I agree you should be prepared, especially if you feel snow will be a problem for you. No need to come across so aggressive. Relax :) People just want information and telling them to just ignore historical data and pack their closet isn't really helpful either.

1. Nowhere in my note did I tell people to ignore historical data. I am just saying it is of no real value, imo.

2. Aggressive is not in my DNA.

3. Nowhere in my post did I suggest anyone pack their closet.

I believe that weather is something people worry to much about. It is unpredictable. Therefore, not worth wasting any gray cells.

That said, everyone has a different approach and comfort zone in preparing for their Camino. Weather, imo, is an area that the data is of little value.

The original post is about an April CP walk. I have walked this route during that time frame.

I encountered snow, rain, sunshine, clouds, warm, cold, muddy track and dry (factual data). I am not sure how that helps anyone.

Ultreya,
Joe

The weather is so variable year to year it is hard to say. This past year had a wet spring and the summer was wet as well.
I walked it in mid -September and had perfect weather, not a drop of rain.
On a few day, we could see where the trail must have been under water earlier, but was only a few muddy patches we could easily walk around.
As a general rule, April will tend to be wetter than the fall.
The Primitivo has been my favorite Camino by far as compared to the Frances or Portuguese walks I have done previously, so don't hesitate to go.

Hi Jenny
I walked this route early may2015
A few rainy bits . Copped rain on top of Hospitales route and mist up top spoiled an occasional view, but generally good walking conditions.
I was on the Salvador in later April ., similar weather. More likely snow still about there (there was in 2015) but passable. It’s great walking in cooler temps and your water bottle keeps nice and cold for drinking. !

Buen camino
Annie

Walked the Primitvo last Oct so I really have no experience on April but I would say to expect muddy walking conditions. That's all I got other than to say I had the best of times.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I’m planning on doing the Primitivo starting out March 6th barring any extreme weather. I planned some alternates like Portuguese coastal or the del Norte if bad weather doesn’t look good. Being from New England I’m used to cold weather but if no ones out there I won’t take chances. I wouldn’t want to be a problem for locals. My question is has anyone done Primitivo in early March? Also will I see any other pilgrims out there?

I'm going to make the Camino Primitivo starting in Oviedo, and we will start 14th of April.

Some good advice in there, still deciding on a start date, enjoyed my sunny days on the Frances last August. I'm sure August would work on the Primitivo, fancied May, but May appears to be a wetter month in Gallicia, so looking at end May early June, then onto Muxia.
Bill

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My first walking day out of Oviedo will be Easter Sunday, 21st April. I'm wondering whether I should be carrying my sandals?

My first walking day out of Oviedo will be Easter Sunday, 21st April. I'm wondering whether I should be carrying my sandals?
I would say wear your hiking shoes, it doesn't take too long (~30 min, depending on start point) to be out of town and on to the trail.

I would say wear your hiking shoes, it doesn't take too long (~30 min, depending on start point) to be out of town and on to the trail.
Thanks, my sandals saved my CF, particularly when it was hot, but I am not sure the 600g are justfied on the Primitivo in April.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi, I too am thinking about the primitivo in April 2019... I will be walking solo...while I don’t mind walking alone some of the time I’m not sure I want to be ‘isolated’. Any indications as to how many people will be on the primitivo in mid April would be gratefully received! (Thinking about starting from Oviedo about the 9/10 April) Many thanks is advance, buen camino.

Hi, I too am thinking about the primitivo in April 2019... I will be walking solo...while I don’t mind walking alone some of the time I’m not sure I want to be ‘isolated’. Any indications as to how many people will be on the primitivo in mid April would be gratefully received! (Thinking about starting from Oviedo about the 9/10 April) Many thanks is advance, buen camino.
Hi, HE-J,
Well, according to the pilgrim office statistics, in 2018, more than 800 people getting compostelas started in Oviedo. That is around 25 people per day. You won't be crowded, but you certainly won't be alone!

Starting there on April 30th

Hi, HE-J,
Well, according to the pilgrim office statistics, in 2018, more than 800 people getting compostelas started in Oviedo. That is around 25 people per day. You won't be crowded, but you certainly won't be alone!
Thanks Peregrina2000... 25 people per day arriving in Santiago sounds reasonable ...but 800 per year works out at an average of 15 per week...although I imagine that people aren’t walking all year round! ...can you post the link showing 25 people per day? Thanks in advance x

Thanks Peregrina2000... 25 people per day arriving in Santiago sounds reasonable ...but 800 per year works out at an average of 15 per week...although I imagine that people aren’t walking all year round! ...can you post the link showing 25 people per day? Thanks in advance x
Sorry, I wasn’t clear, I was quoting the statistics for the month of April, 2018.

Only about half started in Oviedo though, so there will be fewer than that at the beginning.

In 2018, 15,000 people reported Primitivo when they got their compostela. And that number is definitely way deflated because a lot ofthe people walking theh Primitivo start in Irún on the Norte and drop down, but will probably be recorded as Norte pilgrims.

😂 thanks peregrina2000! That makes a lot more sense. Link to the stats much appreciated thank you for that 🙏

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Not quite start of April, but I plan to set out from Oviedo 30th March following on from San Salvador Route (out from Leon around 24th or 25th March). I share the view of an earlier contributor on this thread - if the weather is really "extreme" (snow/ice) or just plain awful around that time, I'll take a view and be flexible and head off for Porto or some other more favourable start point.

Inspired by Jozero's Winter Camino blog last year, I walked and greatly enjoyed a "Winter Camino" last year partly in heavy snow and ice, but thankfully and intentionally never alone in those specific conditions on the more isolated and higher stretches. Advice from locals etc. is always welcome and recommended. Whatever you do, enjoy it and stay safe.

Finally booked my flights, arrive in Santander from Edinburgh on the 10th April, so will probably start on the 12th April, from Oviedo, all being well. Seems more real now that my flights are booked.
Booked the wrong night at Santander, joys of being too tired on line, will book the right night another time.

Not quite start of April, but I plan to set out from Oviedo 30th March following on from San Salvador Route (out from Leon around 24th or 25th March). I share the view of an earlier contributor on this thread - if the weather is really "extreme" (snow/ice) or just plain awful around that time, I'll take a view and be flexible and head off for Porto or some other more favourable start point.

Inspired by Jozero's Winter Camino blog last year, I walked and greatly enjoyed a "Winter Camino" last year partly in heavy snow and ice, but thankfully and intentionally never alone in those specific conditions on the more isolated and higher stretches. Advice from locals etc. is always welcome and recommended. Whatever you do, enjoy it and stay safe.

Chris:

The San Salvador will be the more questionable of the two routes. Weather can be very unpredictable and I encountered some challenging moments on the Salvador in April. That said, it could be sunny and dry. I am also not sure if the traffic has picked up on this route (Salvador). I saw no one over my journey.

Attachments

• 341.JPG
    341.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 7
  • 351.JPG
    351.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 7
  • 354.JPG
    354.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 6
  • 360.JPG
    360.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 7
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks jpflavin1 for your comments and images. Funnily enough, you have confirmed my thoughts as I have only just recently decided to drop San Salvador this time round and after SdC move on to Oviedo on March 25th to start the Primitivo the following day. Thanks again though ~ helpful insight given that makes me feel my decision was the right one! 👍 Chris

And Joe's information is helpful to others who may be considering this route. I am considering the possibility of doing it for next year.

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone recommend a good snack to buy for the hospitalès route Nothing major just something to keep me going Many thanks

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.