Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Tips for Finding Housing on the Primitivo in May 2022

teejtc

Time of past OR future Camino
Summer 2020
Greetings!

I just confirmed my flights! If all goes well, I'll be walking the Primitivo in May.

I'm currently planning on nights in Grado, Bodenaya, Borres, Berducedo, Fonsagrada, O Cadavo (Baleira), Lugo, Ferreira, Melide, and Santa Irene...

I know everything is unusual these days, but in your opinion can we (there are two of us) rely on finding housing when we arrive in these towns? Are there specific ones I should reserve in advance? All of them? None of them? Suggestions for a first timer?!

Thanks!

Grace and peace,
Tim

A selection of Camino Jewellery
It is dificult to say what the coming year will bring us exactly. It also depends on the maximum percentage of beds albergues can use. Last year beginning of august, there max capacity was only 30%, which made a huge shortage of beds.
As a hospitalero on the Primitivo I expect that it is possible to walk without reservations in april.
In may it can be more busy, but for sure no complete full albergues everywhere. I would make a reservation for the first 1-2 nights and then see what happens. Quick enough you will know it any albergue is full and you need to reserve.
But for the most, don't worry. You will be somewhere between fine and great!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Greetings!

I just confirmed my flights! If all goes well, I'll be walking the Primitivo in May.

I'm currently planning on nights in Grado, Bodenaya, Borres, Berducedo, Fonsagrada, O Cadavo (Baleira), Lugo, Ferreira, Melide, and Santa Irene...

I know everything is unusual these days, but in your opinion can we (there are two of us) rely on finding housing when we arrive in these towns? Are there specific ones I should reserve in advance? All of them? None of them? Suggestions for a first timer?!

Thanks!

Grace and peace,
Tim
I too have just confirmed my flights and hope to start out from Oviedo on 20th May. Have booked accommodation at both ends so far but may look at booking ahead for Bodenaya because it seems to be very popular. May run into you along the way.
Buen camino
Robyn

Greetings!

Thanks!

Grace and peace,
Tim
Don't plan, just walk, you will find places in those months

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi, great to see some threads of people about to walk the Primitivo. I myself might do it in September, so I have some time to follow your threads now and read the reports . I am especially curious as in how accommodation has developed during/after Corona ... and how the numbers of pilgrims might develop this year :)
Cheers,
Alex
Greetings!

Thanks!

Grace and peace,
Tim

Greetings!

Thanks!

Grace and peace,
Tim
I wish you well on the Primitivo!
A few things:
- given the uncertainty these days, you will save yourself some possible grief by reserving accommodations well ahead of time (Bodenaya does not take reservations, normally)
- if you have the time, you might consider doing the Salvador as a 5-day preface to the Primitivo
- when in Lugo, you will find one of the best affordable meals on the Primitivo right here

Greetings!

Thanks!

Grace and peace,
Tim
I walked in October 2021 and there were no real issues, with the exception of limiting numbers in Albergues. Bodenaya, the best Albergue on this Camino, was limiting Pilgrims to 6 or 7. Recommend you call day before if you want to stay there.

Otherwise, I had no issues finding space. That said, who knows what Covid situation might be or how many walkers if restrictions ease.

This is a great camino to walk.

Ultra,
Joe

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I too have just confirmed my flights and hope to start out from Oviedo on 20th May. Have booked accommodation at both ends so far but may look at booking ahead for Bodenaya because it seems to be very popular. May run into you along the way.
Buen camino
Robyn
Bodenaya was only taking reservations the day before in October 2021. They were also limited to occupation by no more than 6 or 7.

It is dificult to say what the coming year will bring us exactly. It also depends on the maximum percentage of beds albergues can use. Last year beginning of august, there max capacity was only 30%, which made a huge shortage of beds.
As a hospitalero on the Primitivo I expect that it is possible to walk without reservations in april.
In may it can be more busy, but for sure no complete full albergues everywhere. I would make a reservation for the first 1-2 nights and then see what happens. Quick enough you will know it any albergue is full and you need to reserve.
But for the most, don't worry. You will be somewhere between fine and great!
Can you walk the primitivo in early April? Snow not a problem?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Can you walk the primitivo in early April? Snow not a problem?
Yes you can for sure. On some rare years there might be snow on the hospitales route, but we had already some rare years behind us. ;-) The weather can be anything between bad and beautiful.
Just know that in 2022, the week from the 10th of april on it will be semana santa. Many people in Spain will have a week off, relativily more people will be on the camino.

I have been planning to walk the Primitivo for a few years but as I got older I didn't think I could manage the long distances anymore. I put together a small group of like-minded pilgrims and my good friend Jenny will lead us as she has walked it twice. We will walk Oviedo to Lugo in 16 days from 11 May to 27 May, doing 15km per day. To cater for 6 or 7 people we won't be staying in albergues but have pre-booked accommodation, many for 2 nights. Taxi Camino will pick us up from the path on 8 of these days and take us backwards, or forwards to booked accommodation. Having had Covid 3 months ago, I still have lingering fatigue and I'm only just building up stamina to do some training. I can't wait to be back on the Camino and hope to meet some of you on the way!

€46,-
I'm following your message!I'm leaving from Orviedo on April 2nd and don't intend to plan anything. Hope this works on the primitivo! Anyway Buen Camino! Btw, I use the Spanish site www.gronze.com for finding Albergues. I think there is always a solution and for me the fun is in the unknown situations.
I'm starting the Primitivo March 28th. and not making reservations either. What is your timetable to get to SDC? How are you planning on the Weather? Maybe I'll run into you on the trail

I have been planning to walk the Primitivo for a few years but as I got older I didn't think I could manage the long distances anymore. I put together a small group of like-minded pilgrims and my good friend Jenny will lead us as she has walked it twice. We will walk Oviedo to Lugo in 16 days from 11 May to 27 May, doing 15km per day. To cater for 6 or 7 people we won't be staying in albergues but have pre-booked accommodation, many for 2 nights. Taxi Camino will pick us up from the path on 8 of these days and take us backwards, or forwards to booked accommodation. Having had Covid 3 months ago, I still have lingering fatigue and I'm only just building up stamina to do some training. I can't wait to be back on the Camino and hope to meet some of you on the way!
With you in spirit! Buen Camino

I walked in October 2021 and there were no real issues, with the exception of limiting numbers in Albergues. Bodenaya, the best Albergue on this Camino, was limiting Pilgrims to 6 or 7. Recommend you call day before if you want to stay there.

Otherwise, I had no issues finding space. That said, who knows what Covid situation might be or how many walkers if restrictions ease.

This is a great camino to walk.

Ultra,
Joe
Hey Joe we were also there in Oct last year. Hope we met!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Following. If all goes well, we'll be leaving Oviedo on May 9. In past Caminos we've avoided booking ahead, but there are three of us traveling together this time, so we'll be using Gronze to book where we can.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'm following your message!I'm leaving from Orviedo on April 2nd and don't intend to plan anything. Hope this works on the primitivo! Anyway Buen Camino! Btw, I use the Spanish site www.gronze.com for finding Albergues. I think there is always a solution and for me the fun is in the unknown situations.
Hey! I am leaving a week or so after you - do you have any weather related concerns?

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone recommend a good snack to buy for the hospitalès route Nothing major just something to keep me going Many thanks

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back