Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Primitivo in May or September?

Time of past OR future Camino
Levant from Avila 2013
Us two old codgers are thinking of starting our Camino Primitivo in May or September next year, depending on the state of our individual health. (One fractured pelvis/new hip, one fractured skull) Could you nice people please comment on the best time to walk, health excepted, in the light of :
o Number of Pilgrims
o Weather
o Albergue opening times
Many thanks in advance

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We have only been in May and found the weather good for walking and the albergues etc open but not overcrowded.
Our only time in N. Spain in September was a holiday many years ago and for us it was too hot on many days for walking.

My husband and myself are planning to walk this May. The scenery will be enhanced by spring flowers (I hope). We live in Spain and so we have the luxury of weather watching and packing our bags, jumping in the car and heading north as soon as a stable spell is forecast.

I agree that September can be hotter but because it's the north of Spain it shouldn't be too hot. I still prefer to try for May though.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I started May 1st two years ago. Weather ideal and no problem with accommodation BUT people were reporting problems with accommodation before the end of May. May 1st a major public holiday in Spain which had its own complications. I loved the route.

We went in May 2018 and it was a little too warm for us towards the end (started May 14th. I would go again and start in late April or May 2nd.

Alaskadiver
Many Thanks, the "party" view consolidating is just that, to start after the 1 May holiday. Just need to be in Lugo on the days when the roman stuff is open, and from Friol to Sobrado de Monxes when the Santa Maria de Bovedo Roman Ruins are open (Closed Sun, Mon Holidays I'm told)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
May looks to be good for 2018. The rains of Mar/apr should be dried out for you.
Both your choices are good tho. Pick what’s best for you
Annie

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Bob. I am also planning to do the Camino Primitivo next year starting either end of April or end of September and wanted to asked exactly the same questions you asked. I hope you get more response to this thread, especially regarding the albergues and peregrinos at those times of a year.

Hi Bob. I am also planning to do the Camino Primitivo next year starting either end of April or end of September and wanted to asked exactly the same questions you asked. I hope you get more response to this thread, especially regarding the albergues and peregrinos at those times of a year.
Walked Primitivo in 17,started on August 31. It only rained one day,but had rained the while week before,so maybe I was lucky. Good hiking weather,but was cold many nights in my silk liner. I would take a sleeping bag,and say that this should be the 1st item on anyone's list.

Walked Primitivo in 17,started on August 31. It only rained one day,but had rained the while week before,so maybe I was lucky. Good hiking weather,but was cold many nights in my silk liner. I would take a sleeping bag,and say that this should be the 1st item on anyone's list.
Thanks Beeman. I will be walking, starting on 7 September. I will have my sleeping bag with me.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone recommend a good snack to buy for the hospitalès route Nothing major just something to keep me going Many thanks

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.