A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Primitivo in Spring, 2020?

2020 Camino Guides

Wovoka

Camino(s) past & future
April, 2015
Am considering doing the Primitivo this coming Spring, and suspect my girlfriend is not up to it. Hoped to go the beginning of June with a small group led by an experienced guide (he said Don't go alone, you might get lost!), but enough hikers are backing out that it looks increasingly like a non-happening. Would be nice to have company though. PM me if interested...

Rick M

Camino(s) past & future
April ('16,'18, '19, '20)
led by an experienced guide (he said Don't go alone, you might get lost!)
Witness the awesome power of a sales pitch. This is, of course, complete nonsense. The Caminos are well marked, well supported, and well traveled. Nobody needs a guide to walk Camino, just a modicum of common sense and a will to embrace the unfamiliar. Enough rant.......

There is no chance that you will be alone on the Primitivo in June. There will be other pilgrims from all over the world joining you. Show up and go.

Buen Camino

calmeg

As mentioned by Rick M the route is well marked and there is no worry about getting lost. Having said that we did miss a few arrows and had to backtrack, mainly because we were chatting and not paying attention. There will be others on this route in June, so go ahead and enjoy what we think is our favourite camino!

MikeJS

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Francis (2011), Norte (12), VdlP (16). Sureste/Invierno (17). Olvidado/San Salvador/Primitivo (19)
Virtually impossible to get lost on the Primitivo as it is extremely well marked. However, if you are concerned get the wikiloc app and download a track for the Primitivo. The app will then beep if you get more than about 200m from the route!

Wovoka

Camino(s) past & future
April, 2015
Si, si, entiendo. Thanx for having my back, but I guess I gave the wrong impression. Am well aware that I'd be fine, even if every other Peregrino magically vanished on the Primitivo. Garry's just a bit over-protective & that's why I'd had second thoughts about going with him in the first place - but have never done the distance in a group before, and thought it would be an interesting change...

Man in Black

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2017)
Camino Finisterre (2017)
Chemin St Jacques (2018)
Rota Vicentina (2019)
We are debating on either taking the Primitivo or the Norte this but would like the route with less road walking. What has been your experience on either one as we would prefer to have dirt underfoot and not asphalt.

Attachments

Stripey Socks

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances '13, Via de la Plata '14, Portuguese '16, Via Francigena - Italy '18, Madrid Combo'20
I plan to set out from Oviedo on 31 May. Perhaps I will see you on the path. Buen camino, Mel

jsalt

Jill
Camino(s) past & future
Portugués, Francés, Le Puy, Rota Vicentina, Soulac, Norte, Madrid, Salvador, Primitivo, Aragonés
Would be nice to have company though. PM me if interested...
Just go. You know you can 😊. I started alone in April, and it was busy – many of the albergues I stayed in were full. I spent time with many camino buddies – yeah, that “camino family” thing – it became one of my favourite caminos for the people I met along the way.

peregrina2000

Staff member
We are debating on either taking the Primitivo or the Norte this but would like the route with less road walking. What has been your experience on either one as we would prefer to have dirt underfoot and not asphalt.
There is a LOT of asphalt walking on the Norte. It almost did me in one year. I wanted to walk it again and got a lot of good advice about taking coastal alternatives. The Camino del Norte frequently goes alongside a road about a km or two from the coast, where there are well-maintained walking trails.

The Primitivo has its share of road walking as well, but lots of lovely trails, at least while you are in Asturias. Once you get into Galicia you will see that virtually every km is a path of crushed rock.

OzAnnie

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
'Portuguese,Frances,Norte,Salvador/primitivo,Le puy, Inglés, CDM, Invierno, Fin/Mux, VDLP spring19
Si, si, entiendo. Thanx for having my back, but I guess I gave the wrong impression. Am well aware that I'd be fine, even if every other Peregrino magically vanished on the Primitivo. Garry's just a bit over-protective & that's why I'd had second thoughts about going with him in the first place - but have never done the distance in a group before, and thought it would be an interesting change...
Going alone in June ‘ you’ll soon be part of a group ‘ unless you say you want to walk alone.
Don’t underestimate your girlfriend.. she would handle it too as long as she can walk. You’ll see many older people walking caminos alone and with lots of confidence.
Just keep your confidence that it will be okay. It sure will.
Buen camino
Annie

zanndat

Camino(s) past & future
Porto - Santiago de compostella
Camino Primitivo (Planned)
I will go in mid June. Alone. I think that camino is not for group walking and you should not pay for this walking to some agencies. In the world are lot of hiking routs where is good to be in group. But I feel that camnio routes are the best where you can be alone, If you want to communicate or go with someone, then you can meet other pilgrims. This is great way to know a lot of people from all over the world. And this road is well marked. So you will not be lost. And if you will, you will find the right way. That is life :)
Buen camino!

cbacino

Camino(s) past & future
Camino del Norte - Primitivo (2018)
Via Francigena (2017)
Appalachian Trail (2016)
Am considering doing the Primitivo this coming Spring, and suspect my girlfriend is not up to it. Hoped to go the beginning of June with a small group led by an experienced guide (he said Don't go alone, you might get lost!), but enough hikers are backing out that it looks increasingly like a non-happening. Would be nice to have company though. PM me if interested...
I did Norte-Primitivo last year. Left Irùn abt mid-June and avoided most of the rain. You don’t need a guide; just put a mapping app on your phone and download KMLs for the route. You’ll never walk 50 meters out of your way.

Camino(s) past & future
Virtually impossible to get lost on the Primitivo as it is extremely well marked. However, if you are concerned get the wikiloc app and download a track for the Primitivo. The app will then beep if you get more than about 200m from the route!
Mike I looked at the Wikiloc apps- did you purchase the premium, or use wikiloc outdoor navigation which is free? it did not have the primitivo on there

MikeJS

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Francis (2011), Norte (12), VdlP (16). Sureste/Invierno (17). Olvidado/San Salvador/Primitivo (19)
I bought the 3m (I think) option is was around £4.

An Tincéir

Camino(s) past & future
Portuguese (2009) Norte (2016) Norte/Primitivo (2018)
Unless you are an experienced HOT weather hiker I suggest you don't start in June, unless it is unavoidable. Much of the Primitivo is quite exposed and (IMO) strenuous. Either shoulder season would be preferable.
Buen Camino.

zanndat

Camino(s) past & future
Porto - Santiago de compostella
Camino Primitivo (Planned)
Unless you are an experienced HOT weather hiker I suggest you don't start in June, unless it is unavoidable. Much of the Primitivo is quite exposed and (IMO) strenuous. Either shoulder season would be preferable.
Buen Camino.
Is it really hot in June? I am planning from mid June-End of June.
Really I don`t like when it is really hot.

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 9 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 49 4.1%
  • April

Votes: 178 15.0%
  • May

Votes: 291 24.5%
  • June

Votes: 85 7.2%
  • July

Votes: 23 1.9%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.3%
  • September

Votes: 339 28.6%
  • October

Votes: 146 12.3%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.4%
  • December

Votes: 6 0.5%
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock