• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Primitivo or continue on the Norte?

trecile

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés, Norte, Salvador, Primitivo, Portuguese
Pros and cons please.
I'll be in Llanes tomorrow and have to make a decision soon!
Thanks

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Trecile!
I have not walked these routes, so not qualified to give an opinion. However you seem to be in an awesome position, as any choice you make will be amazing :)

Primitivo seems to have become very popular, and a lot of people in the Norte are changing routes there, from what we read in the forum.

May I also say you are the author of one of my favourite phrases in this forum?
"My first Camino I was totally out of my comfort zone. About halfway through my second Camino last year I realized that the Camino is my comfort zone. "

It is brilliant. Buen Camino!

I turned on to the Primitivo and loved it. Both routes are wonderful, but after all the ocean views and touristy towns, I was really ready for a change and to experience more of the backward areas of rural stone villages with the blue slate roofs, more chapels, and more mountain areas with views.
You will not regret it if you make the decision to mix it up!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I continued on the Norte with the plan to walk the Primitivo as a separate camino at a later date. I was sure I would not return just to walk the last part of the Norte. I did return a year or so later with my grandsons and walked the Primitivo.
I went to Porto after arriving Santiago and then walked back to Santiago on the Portuguese route.
The two shorter caminos back to back made it more like a longer distance.
I was glad I saved the Primitivo as a separate trip. The last part of the Norte is very enjoyable and unique. One good aspect is that most people seem to turn off on the Primitivo and the crowds are greatly thinned.

I have thought about walking the Madrid route to Sahagan, then walk the short distance to Leon, turn on to the San Salvador walking to Oviedo, and finally complete the remainder of the Norte from there...It's another option of "mix and match" that should work quite well.

Hi Trecile!
I have not walked these routes, so not qualified to give an opinion. However you seem to be in an awesome position, as any choice you make will be amazing :)

Primitivo seems to have become very popular, and a lot of people in the Norte are changing routes there, from what we read in the forum.

May I also say you are the author of one of my favourite phrases in this forum?
"My first Camino I was totally out of my comfort zone. About halfway through my second Camino last year I realized that the Camino is my comfort zone. "

It is brilliant. Buen Camino!
Wow, thanks so much for the compliments!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
That's a very happy dilemma, @trecile! I like @VNwalking's suggestion to just make a spontaneous choice at the moment you have to 'turn left'. Perhaps toss a coin? We did that on the Primitivo when deciding whether to follow the green arrows for the Camino Verde - we tossed a coin.

A more logical criterion might be whether you fancy moving from the coast to the mountains. If the mountains are calling you, or if you want to meet a bunch of new pilgrims setting off in Oviedo, head for the Primitivo. It's wonderful, but every route has its magic.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I stayed on the Norte. It was great because most people turned off onto the Primitivo. The Primitivo is more mountainous and it didn’t seem like a good choice in November. Later I walked the Madrid / Salvador / Primitivo combination, so I was happy with my choice of staying on the Norte earlier. When you get to the split your camino companions might be a deciding factor for you. I stayed in touch with those in my “camino family” who turned off onto the Primitivo, and we had a great reunion in Santiago!
Jill

I walked both routes, two years I did the Primitivo, this year I did the norte. (Only to the convention in Sobrado) In itself I think the Primitivo was more beautifully and a little bit harder. If you are not planning to return for an other Camino I would opt for the Primitivo. If you will return I would consider to stay on the Norte. The Primitivo can very easily and logically be combined with the very beautiful Camino Salvador from Leon to Oviedo

Hi, trecile,
Grayland’s and Antonious’ attitude was mine as well. I figured I would never go back to walk the Norte from Villaviciosa. And I also knew that you could easily add four or five days on to the Primitivo and start in León. The Salvador is a real beauty. (Or thinking even longer, the Madrid to Sahagún, then the Francés for a few days to León and off you go — that is a very nice combo many of us have done, in case you are thinking the Primitivo would be “too short.”)

The Norte gets a bit quieter after the turn-off, which could also be a good thing. And if you have the time, you could consider what I did last year. Walk Villaviciosa to Oviedo (which allows for a visit to Valdediós, a pre-Romanesque church that is jaw-dropping— the detour is well marked). Then from Oviedo, take a day to get back up to Avilés. That route is very pleasant. This is a great way to avoid all of the really awful industrial part between Gijón and Avilés. But it would add a day. And one last thing, there are some really wonderful albergues on the Norte west of Avilés. O Xistral after Abadín, Casa Carmina near the turnoff to Cudillero, and then the place Luka spent some time last year whose name I forget but which looked pretty incredible. And there are some very nice coastal alternatives as well. :)

But I love the Primitivo as well, so it is a very hard choice. Buen camino, Laurie

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Good sound advice from Antonius - I have done both and stayed on the Norte and then came back to do the Primitivo. If you are not coming back then go the Primitivo route as it is more beautiful.

Like others, I suspect there's no bad choice. I cut down to the Primitivo in May. Unlike some other comments, we seemed to be about the only ones who did; all the folks (and there weren't all that many) we met on the Primitivo started in Oviedo.

It was a very nice change of pace from the Norte. The road less traveled. Had a memorable weather day on the Hospitales route: rain, sleet, hail, snow, and 50 mph gusts. Lovely! Agree with Laurie about the church at Valdedios--stayed at the rustic albergue there.

Some very nice albergues along the Primitivo as well. Let us know your decision!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I continued on the Norte with the plan to walk the Primitivo as a separate camino at a later date. I was sure I would not return just to walk the last part of the Norte. I did return a year or so later with my grandsons and walked the Primitivo.
I went to Porto after arriving Santiago and then walked back to Santiago on the Portuguese route.
The two shorter caminos back to back made it more like a longer distance.
I was glad I saved the Primitivo as a separate trip. The last part of the Norte is very enjoyable and unique. One good aspect is that most people seem to turn off on the Primitivo and the crowds are greatly thinned.

I reasoned the same way, continued on the Norte and walked the Primitivo two years later. Loved both!

Buen camino whichever way you decide!

It seems like most of the other pilgrims currently walking with me plan to do the Primitivo. Since I prefer a less solitary Camino I may do the same.

I have heard from friends with business on the Primitivo that this year the numbers are decisively breaking all records . But then the Norte numbers were recently reported as being up by almost a third as well!
https://www.lavozdegalicia.es/notic...ana-33-peregrinos-ano/0003_201807X18C3991.htm

Luckily there are still a lot of quiet caminos out there for those who want to get away from the crowds.

In SDC now Laurie , many kids finishing , large groups of schoolies.

I think these WERE quieter Caminos ( Norte, Primitivo , Portuguese) are now getting very popular.
The other night there were 40 plus sleeping in various accommodation in Lires.
The Muxia - Finistere is getting popular but at a leisurely pace.
The Parador in Muxia might soon fix that.

Primitivo is beautiful Trecile.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The Parador in Muxia might soon fix that.

Sorry to derail, but what did you say?! I had no idea, but took a little google visit and learned that yes indeed there will be a Muxia parador. I took a screen shot of the posted location, which is not really in town. It's up over the beach that you pass by (or walk on) when you go between Finisterre and Muxia.

Some of the articles I've read suggest that the reasoning had something to do with some kind of "compensation" or "reparation" for the Prestige disaster years ago.

The construction had been stopped from Oct. 2015 till Feb. 2017, but looks like they are forging ahead now. So much for Muxia as an out of the way sleepy charmer.

Screenshot 2018-07-19 14.45.19.png

Sorry to derail, but what did you say?! I had no idea, but took a little google visit and learned that yes indeed there will be a Muxia parador. I took a screen shot of the posted location, which is not really in town. It's up over the beach that you pass by (or walk on) when you go between Finisterre and Muxia.

Some of the articles I've read suggest that the reasoning had something to do with some kind of "compensation" or "reparation" for the Prestige disaster years ago.

The construction had been stopped from Oct. 2015 till Feb. 2017, but looks like they are forging ahead now. So much for Muxia as an out of the way sleepy charmer.

View attachment 44648
It's 2 km out of Muxia on the path
A bit of construction around the new roads .
Will be finished in 18 months.
Muxia is a beautiful place to finish , hardly any tourists and a great respectfull vibe.
Laurie the man who built the Dumbria albergue , for pilgrims walking unassisted only.......and no bookings , does come from the area and is the richest man in Spain.
If I was young I know which town I would invest in if involving pilgrims
Bella Muxia is a prime example ......Muxia first ....successful now has opened one in Finisterre.

Last edited:
It seems like most of the other pilgrims currently walking with me plan to do the Primitivo. Since I prefer a less solitary Camino I may do the same.
This was our thinking too.
Just finished the del Norte 2 weeks ago and thoroughly enjoyed the last 188km from Ribadeo to Santiago.
A great decision
The Primitivo will always be there
Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Pros and cons please.
I'll be in Llanes tomorrow and have to make a decision soon!
Thanks
I stayed on Norte and loved it. I would definitely recommend continuing along the coast and heading inland at Ribadeo.

I too thought about full Norte or Primitivo when planning my September Camino. I planned to walk the Norte so for me turning off and doing the Primitivo wasn't going to suffice as having walked the Norte. I also want to do the Primitivo someday but then will have to decide where to start my Primitivo, should be an easy question after I completed my Norte. However, as many others have said, there really isn't a bad choice whichever decision you make.

I have thought about walking the Madrid route to Sahagan, then walk the short distance to Leon, turn on to the San Salvador walking to Oviedo, and finally complete the remainder of the Norte from there...It's another option of "mix and match" that should work quite well.
That sounds great. I was planning on doing the San Salvador and then Primitivo this Sept but have a hamstring injury. So now I am thinking of just doing the Primitvo and will probably have to start in October. Hope the weather will be OK

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi pilgrims , last year i had some spare days and i walked from Irun to Santander , so my plan for this year was to start in Bilbao and walk to Santiago in 24 days . It turned out that i can...
Hi, ive been training for my CDN in two weeks time and thought i'd get some UK coastline under my belt (Scarborough to Robin hoods Bay). I have to say i was just not prepared for the amount for...
hello We plan to walk from Irún to San Sebastián first day in Mid May and looking for feedback on how long it takes. Think we are up to it but will be our first day. Thanks for your thoughts and...
Please, am I mad to contemplate the following combo: Norte: Biarritz-Bayonne-Irun-Santander (via Bayonne to get my legs going) Santander - train to Leon San Salvador - Leon to Oviedo Primitivo -...
I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
What is the most beautiful seven day section on the Camino del Norte? I have a good friend who cannot come with me for the entire walk. She is only available for a week. I start from Irun. She...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back