Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Primitivo or Frances in March/April 2016

Adrian Chaffey

Time of past OR future Camino
First: Camino Frances: July/Aug 95 StJean to Burgos, then March/April 96 Burgos to SdC.
Second (uncompleted): Camino Aragones: Aug/Sept 04 Somport to Burgos.

Third Leon to SdC on Camino Frances March/April 16.
I'm coming back to walk the camino again and I'm rather in two minds whether to go for the Frances (again) or to try the Primitivo. We will have just over 2 weeks and will be starting on Maundy Thursday or Good Friday - from either Oviedo or Leon.

I'm really attracted to the Primitivo, but my 14 year old daughter is coming with me this time, and I'm wondering whether for her the Frances will offer a richer experience.

My own camino experience is rather old, and I'm not really sure what to expect anymore. I'm a bit concerned, on the one hand, that the Frances might be rather busy, and conversely that there might be very few people on the Primitivo, particularly early in the year and perhaps none that are more my daughter's generation than mine.

I'm kind of mindful that when I began my first camino in 1995 there were 1/10 of the pilgrims today, and yet in the first week in August it still felt quite busy at times, and also that returning in 2004, having walked the Aragones, after Punta la Reina it seemed all a bit hectic.

But then I also remember that when I had returned to complete my first camino in the spring of the following year, until I fell in with 3 Gallegos after Astorga, I was very often the only person in the albergues. It was great, but probably not what we're looking for this time.

I guess looking back the times which probably meant most to me were those when the numbers of fellow pilgrims were fairly small, and when as a consequence you didn't get to choose your companions and ages and nationalities really mixed.

I'm hoping my daughter can have to have something of that experience, and I'm kind of leaning to the Frances, figuring that it won't be that busy in March /April.

But any thoughts?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
There are more pilgrims now, but they are now also more places to stay, so I wouldn't be worried about that aspect. Have you asked your daughter what she wants from the Camino? SY

If you were walking in late rather than early spring I would have suggested the Primitivo for its beauty and less touristy athmosphere. But at that time of the year, with the snow melt (mud), colder temps and a teen I lean towards the Frances. One thing is adult introspection when walking in less then optimal conditions, the other is hoping a teen will do it with a smile on ;).

I don't think one Camino or the other will make a difference when it comes to finding other teens. They are hardly seen even in higher temps on the Frances. University students yes, highschool not very coomon, unless walking as part of a school trip. As for the density of travellers, higher than a week before or so because of Easter, but still can't imagine there will be lots of traffic. Stats on www.peregrinossantiago.es may help.

On the upside of the dates you have chosen to walk are all the Easter festivities, and noone does them like the Spaniards. What a rich cultural experience for your daugther to experience these. And the Frances will give you much more of this. Churches are quite a rarity on the Primitivo in comparison with the Frances.

I think your hunch is a good one, and if you daughter likes her first experience because of the higher density, more frequent cafe con leches, cities to visit and Easter celebrations she may ask you to do another next year!

Last edited by a moderator:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
That early in the year........................ Frances
If it was uni holidays for Spain ...................... Primitivo
Buen Camino

Hi,

I walked the Camino Frances in April 2o13 for a week as far as Logrono. I returned the following year in late March and completed it over 20 day arriving on the Good Friday in Santiago.

Based on my experience it wasn't busy on either occasion. In fact there was just a nice number of people on it at any one time.

You've indicated that you will be starting which ever Camino you choose after Easter, which falls very early in 2016. As a result there will be far less Spanish people on it as they have a custom of walking a stretch of the Camino on Easter week.
Leon is a nice city and stage of the CF to start from.

I will be walking the Camino Primitivo starting in mid-April. Hope all the snows will have melted by then. Winter has been so mild in Europe so far so perhaps we will have a late Spring.

Thank you to everyone above for their comments, experience and suggestions.

My daughter and I have been discussing things (she's a bit shy about coming on here) and Frances it is.

Both of us really looking forward to it.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone recommend a good snack to buy for the hospitalès route Nothing major just something to keep me going Many thanks

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.