• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Choosing between Primitivo and Sanabrés for my upcoming Camino trip

Jan Jones

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2018, Norte, 2019, Camino Primitivo 2023
I’ve just spent the last three months planning to walk the Salvador and then the Primitivo in May . Having read endless divergent discussions about the relative difficulties I have been fairly comfortable with doing this. I will use private room accommodation and so can plan shorter days etc. I walked the Norte in 2019 and loved it. I will be 70 this year and I am pretty fit with no joint issues. However, a couple of blogs I’ve read recently have challenged my confidence.
For me a beautiful walk is fairly solitary, woodland, countryside, birds, views etc . - doesn’t have to be in the mountains because I’ve been lucky to do that in other places in the past, but they are special.
I’ve been looking at the Sanabrés on Gronze and wondering if it might be a gentler alternative. For those who have done both any comments?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
They are both wonderful Caminos, you can hopefully walk the other in a future year .
I would say Salvador/Primitivo is slightly more challenging and maybe do it first while you are younger.
I was 71 and managed well in 2019.
I walked the Sanabrese in 2022 after my VDLP with no problems at 75
I love both of these Caminos and hope to repeat them for the third time before I am 80.
Your confidence will appear the day you start :)

I’m 59. Walked the Sanabres in 2018, Salvador + Primitivo (+ Invierno) in 2022.
I totally agree with the previous post by Camino07.

So that makes two. But the other way round seems doable too.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Jan, I ve'been wondering whether I should answer or not, but here I am. I walked both of them. Or even all three of them. Primitivo, San Salvador, and Sanabres.
In my personal difficulty scale, they are comparable. Every time I read opinions about a specific stage or camino here, on the forum, I get an impression that it is much more difficult than I find in reality. So it is better to search for the elevation profiles and required distances, and try to fit it to your capabilities.
As for the rest. All of them are fantastic and have some specific beautiful moments. Hospitales with wild horses on Primitivo for example. The main drawback of Primitivo are the last 3 days, when Frances connects with Primitivo and it is a real shock.

But for me, Sanabres wins.

You have everything there. Long, flat stretches with an infinite horizon, green mountains, flowers, animals, beautiful old towns, gorgeous little villages, some history. And you can easily feel part of the nature, of the experience. Either alone or with someone. There are no crowds, but just enough people to become friends. No problem with accommodation whatsoever. This was my 10th camino, or so, and I found it the best as an overall experience. You can look up my daily videos on YouTube, so that might give you the taste of what to expect. Whether that camino talks to you. I always choose the next one by my gut feeling. Buen Camino.
(Not sure if it allowed to put the link to YT here, but you can easily find it searching for my name on YT.)

Last edited:
I walked all three, it is difficult for me to compare. Intuitively I would go for the combination of the Salvador and the Primitive. My judgement is perhaps influencedby the fact that two times I had to break off my Camino Sanabres in A Hudson's. I walked the whole route but only in stages. I liked it.
Like Ana Dat said the last days of the Primitive are a shock. If I wereto do it again, I would catch a bus in Melide

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
They are both wonderful Caminos, you can hopefully walk the other in a future year .
I would say Salvador/Primitivo is slightly more challenging and maybe do it first while you are younger.
I was 71 and managed well in 2019.
I walked the Sanabrese in 2022 after my VDLP with no problems at 75
I love both of these Caminos and hope to repeat them for the third time before I am 80.
Your confidence will appear the day you start :)
Hello Camino 07 , I’m in Perth too.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
That’s exactly what I will be doing this year. Seville, Astorga, Leon, Orvieto and Santiago. I am 67 in pretty good shape. Made 750 km last year. Start on March 31st. Can’t wait. Buen Camino

(Not sure if it allowed to put the link to YT here, but you can easily find it searching for my name on YT.)
Thank you Anna, I’m glad you chose to answer. I watched them all this evening- it does look lovely and like a very happy walk. I’m thinking perhaps I’ll stick with the original plan for 2023 and plan for an earlier start on the Sanabrés next year.

I have walked the southern Sanabre...starting in Chaves Portugal as it was easy to get to from Porto. (there is a northern and southern route that connect before Ourense)Super quiet the first five days...didn't see another pilgrim. Beautiful route. Some accommodation challenges as there are no albergue along the whole route but other options are available. Merges with the Invierno for the last couple of days. I am doing the Invierno this coming spring. The Salvador/Primitivo is for 2024 and I like your idea of busing from at Lugo.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I like your idea of busing from at Lugo.
I had walked a large portion of the Norte before turning on to the Primitivo at Oviedo, so for me stopping in Lugo was perfect. We stayed an extra day, walking the lovely walls around the historical area, etc. I'd read that after Lugo the terrain became flatter, so we chose to bus on to Santiago for two days, then spent two days each in Muxia and Finesterre, walking between them. It was the perfect combination before heading home.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

I have been reading 2 different reports (on FB and instagram) about (an) agressive dog(s) just after Oseira. I'll post them here: In the group of @geraldkelly on FB (4 days ago): Hello lovely Via...
Hi all! Once again I am heading back to Spain; this time to walk much of the Sanabres with my son; starting in Rionegro del Puente after a few sightseeing days first in Salamanca and Zamora...
After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...
For anyone around Sevilla, next Saturday marks the end of the annual week long fiesta. I have just had a conversation, as I do weekly (to help her with English), with a friend who is from there...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back