• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Primitivo or stay with the Norte?

Jim O'Keeffe

Time of past OR future Camino
Aug-Sept 2016, Camino Del Norte
Hi All! I will be doing my 1st Camino starting in Irun on 24th Aug this year. Having chosen the Norte as a way less travelled, my question is whether to stay with the northern route all the way or branch onto the Primitivo from Oviedo? As I'm a little time poor I will probably cycle to Oviedo then walk the remainder to SDC. I understand the Primitivo is hilly and physically challenging so it may be a shock to the system getting off the bike to go on foot! Any advice or considerations would be greatly appreciated! Regards Jim

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hallo
Hi All! I will be doing my 1st Camino starting in Irun on 24th Aug this year. Having chosen the Norte to enjoy more solitude, my question is whether to stay with the northern route all the way or branch onto the Primitivo from Oviedo? As I'm a little time poor I will probably cycle to Oviedo and walk the rest. Any advice or considerations would be greatly appreciated! Regards Jim[/QUOTE
Hallo!!! Well I walked the north last June and I had the same dilemma.....while walking for many days by the sea I chose to do the primitivo and I didn't regret It....difficult way...a lot of climbing .....but the views are incredible....it's worth it but it's up to you how you want to walk your way!!!
Whatever you choose I hope you have a great walk!!!!
Buen camino!!!!
If you need more information for the north or primitivo just ask :) glad to help you!

Hi Jim!

Nice to see you in the forum! I walked the Primitivo last year after finishing the San Salvador. It is more challenging than the Frances but I found it ok - it's a beautiful camino.

Buen camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Jim!

Nice to see you in the forum! I walked the Primitivo last year after finishing the San Salvador. It is more challenging than the Frances but I found it ok - it's a beautiful camino.

Buen camino
Hi Norelle, thanks for that. You should come up for a visit in the holidays so I can pick yur brain! Regards Jim

Hi, Jim,
Welcome to the forum,
There are several threads on exactly this topic, but I just can't find them right now. I have walked both, but when I started in Irun, I decided to stay on the Norte. My reasoning was that if I switched over to the primitivo in Oviedo, I was much less likely to come back and walk "half the Norte" than I would be to come back and walk "all the Primitivo." I know that may sound silly, since the designations are all artificial, but that was my thinking. The Norte after Villaviciosa (which is where you turn south for Oviedo and the Primitivo) is quite nice, and I really loved the Galicia part of the Norte. But I also love the Primitivo too. I hope to be on it for the third time this summer, so that must mean something!

Most people continuing on the Norte do not "dip down" to Oviedo. They stay along the coast. I did it because my walking partner had never been in Oviedo and it is such a lovely city. We had some glorious rest days there, it was wonderful. The way from Villaviciosa to Oviedo is fine, but the way back from Oviedo north to rejoin the Norte in Avilés was a true horror along the highway because we couldn't find the arrows and no one knew anything about the camino, but that was years ago. I am hoping that that part has been greatly improved by now, but that stretch from Oviedo to Avilés is unlikely to have much/any other pilgrim traffic.

I think your idea about holding off is a good one, especially if you are walking alone and are likely to be part of a group by the time that decision has to be made. There is no bad decision here, so I would just go with the flow and see what your "camino family" is thinking when the time comes. Buen camino, Laurie

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Peregrina, I'm waking the Norte this April and had the same dilemma I felt kind the same way, you just tipped the scale :) The Norte All the way!

zzotte

By the time i reached the splitting point along the Norte, i had enough of the ocean (some 20 days) and wanted some mountains so it was easy decision to turn towards the Primitivo. About one third of us did that. I don't know whether rest of the Norte route is any better than the first three weeks. Either way, you will enjoy it.

Hi Jim!

Buen camino
So Norelle, did you do the San Salvador and Primitive straight after each other or have a break? Where did you start and how long did it take to do both? I'm still considering all options...

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We stayed on the Norte and did not regret it. It's a beautiful camino, and I particularly enjoyed the walk south through Galicia. We did not walk to Oviedo (as Laurie did) but we took a couple of days off and went back and forth by train, rejoining the Norte where we had left off.

Hi Jim,
Last year I started in Leon and walked the San Salvador to Oviedo. Then I started the Primitivo the next day.
I wish I had spent another day in Oviedo. If your time is too short for the full Norte/Primitivo - I (and others!) can highly recommend this combination.
I'm planning on walking the Norte in September and will probably stay on that way but pop down to Oviedo for a day.

We stayed on the Norte and did not regret it. It's a beautiful camino, and I particularly enjoyed the walk south through Galicia. We did not walk to Oviedo (as Laurie did) but we took a couple of days off and went back and forth by train, rejoining the Norte where we had left off.
Thanks for the feedback Kanga, I'm still undecided but as all roads lead to SDC I'll just go with the flow when the time comes :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back