Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Primitivo Pilgrim numbers are up on 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoughnutANZ

Ka whati te tai ka kai te tōreapango
Time of past OR future Camino
2019, 2023, 2024, 2025, 2026, 2027 & 2028.
The graph below shows numbers of Compostelas issued by month for Pilgrims on the Camino Primitivo (as defined by the Pilgrim Office) are continuing to increase.

Keep in mind that the data is by month of arrival in Santiago de Compostela.

There have been quite significant increases of numbers in both May and July this year and with the historical trend being that August is the busiest month on the Primitivo it will be interesting to see the August numbers as they come in this year.

Prim16.jpeg

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The graph below shows numbers of Compostelas issued by month for Pilgrims on the Camino Primitivo (as defined by the Pilgrim Office) are continuing to increase.

There have been quite significant increases of numbers in both May and July this year and with the historical trend being that August is the busiest month on the Primitivo it will be interesting to see the August numbers as they come in this year.

View attachment 130774
Nice chart @DoughnutANZ… check this web out based on the same source. I’m also monitoring the daily arrivals but no origin or Camino is provided.

Buen Camino!

Nice chart @DoughnutANZ… check this web out based on the same source. I’m also monitoring the daily arrivals but no origin or Camino is provided.

Buen Camino!
A great site!

The current graphs are preliminary as I am working through data issues that you have also noted.

The intention is to use the data, along with other data, to build an interactive web page that can be queried to see how busy a particular town might be, based on historical data. We may also do some forward predictions.

One of the drivers is that most people only seem to be able to think of the Camino Frances as a single unit, rather than an 800klm journey. They get confused and struggle to understand that it can be busy in Roncesvalles at the same time that it is not at all busy in Lugo while also being very busy in Sarria.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Soon we'll be able to see real-time information boards such as those that exist on some busy highways (X days to Santiago via Pueblo A) or for parking garages (Y beds in Pueblo B). o_O

But the data analysis is fascinating!

Soon we'll be able to see real-time information boards such as those that exist on some busy highways (X days to Santiago via Pueblo A) or for parking garages (Y beds in Pueblo B). o_O

But the data analysis is fascinating!
A version of this is my goal. The full version isn't possible, though, without also knowing how many beds are available.

The other thing that I can't do at the moment is tell how many Pilgrims stay in a city/village, just a good estimate of how many pass through that place.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
A great site!

The current graphs are preliminary as I am working through data issues that you have also noted.

The intention is to use the data, along with other data, to build an interactive web page that can be queried to see how busy a particular town might be, based on historical data. We may also do some forward predictions.

One of the drivers is that most people only seem to be able to think of the Camino Frances as a single unit, rather than an 800klm journey. They get confused and struggle to understand that it can be busy in Roncesvalles at the same time that it is not at all busy in Lugo while also being very busy in Sarria.
Wow… I’ll love to see it!
From my initial analysis, there are too many aggregated data and too few variables so I’m afraid you need to make a lot of assumptions :) let me know if i can help in any way.

OK, as long as it is an app on our little phones, and not big overhead road signs! 😂
It will be an interactive web page and so it could be displayed on a phone, a computer or a giant street sign (if someone so desires) but I won't be erecting any street signs anytime soon 😸

Wow… I’ll love to see it!
From my initial analysis, there are too many aggregated data and too few variables so I’m afraid you need to make a lot of assumptions :) let me know if i can help in any way.
Yes, it won't be simple and at best it will estimate the number of pilgrims passing through a city/village vs the number who will stop for the night there.

First I need to get familiar with the data that I have and then look at how to recombine it and supplement it with data from other sources.

These initial graphs are me just having a little play to see how the data stacks up and if anyone is interested.

Thanks for the offer of help, perhaps PM me with your technical background. ❤️

PS. This work is done using R and RStudio and we envisage doing the final app/page using Shiny.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Very interesting ... I am really curious how August will develop and how it will be the second half of September, when I am on the road. :cool:

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Updates, please?
This thread was posted in 2022. As you may be aware from his other posts, DoughtnutANZ is actually on a camino right now so not able to post this kind of info (which takes a lot of work to put together). I will leave it up for reference´ sake. If anyone has updated stats, please feel free to post them on a new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone recommend a good snack to buy for the hospitalès route Nothing major just something to keep me going Many thanks

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back