Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Primitivo questions

JoroAtanasof

Time of past OR future Camino
one too many
Hi guys ,
1. Is it ok to bring sleeping bag like this https://www.decathlon.co.uk/sleep-bag-trek-500-15-blue-id_8576293.html
or i can bring something much lighter like liner bag ( i am asking because where i came from ( Balkans ) it is cold in the mountains even in the mid summer ) ?
2.I am thinking mid August 2020 ( i really apreciate if all "stay home " folks skip this post ..... ) what was the weather like whe you walked Primitivo ?
3.Is it doable for 10 days if so can you give me example of the stages ?
4.Huge Altra shoes fan here :) so do i need something serious with goretex or even boots for mid August ?

Last edited:
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hallo JoroAtanasof,

when we were on the Camino Primitivo in June we had very nice temperatures, about 24°C, but also a whole day of heavy rain. Because of the short distance to the Atlantic Ocean and the altitude the weather can change very fast.

I used a rather thin sleeping bag myself, but there were blankets in almost every Albergue. I wonder if this is also the case at the moment because of the Corona situation?

I would take the light sleeping bag and have some extra clothes in my backpack to put on at night or on a cold day. Double benefit.

For the shoes I would bet on Goretex, because even if you have nice weather, the paths can be very 😩, very 😰, very 🥵 muddy due to rain during the last days. And I used sticks, otherwise I would probably still be stuck in the mud somewhere today.

Here are our stages. Some days were pretty tough, but the vacation was limited.

BC
Michael

OviedoSan Juan de Villapanada##29,7
San Juan de VillapanadaBodenaya26,3
BodenayaCampiello25,3
CampielloBerducedo##27,8
BerducedoCastro24,6
CastroPadron20,8
PadronCastroverde##30,9
CastroverdeLugo21,8
LugoAs Seixas32,4
As SeixasArzua##28,6
ArzuaLavacolla31
LavacollaSantiago de Compostela10,6

1. I went in July 2019 and took a sleeping bag and was glad I had it.
2. Temperatures in July ranged from a low of 9 C to a high of 28 C.
3. I did it in 11 days but 10 days is doable. Gronze can help you setup the stages.
4. No, you don't need goretex or boots.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
If you can do it in 10 days depends on how far you want to walk each day. I like long hiking days and took 8 to complete the Primitivo. I walked in early Oct 19 and only used a liner and no bag. I always walk in Meindl hiking shoes.

If you can do it in 10 days depends on how far you want to walk each day. I like long hiking days and took 8 to complete the Primitivo. I walked in early Oct 19 and only used a liner and no bag. I always walk in Meindl hiking shoes.

Thanks Mike ,
I have 14 days total but last 3 caminos i end up in Finisterre by walking ... That is the reason why i will try to finish it in 10 days ;)
One thing i learned is that all plans go to hell when start walking 😂 at least in my experience .

I did the Primitivo last spring, 2019. Number of days is really dependent on how hard you want to push. I personally needed 12/13 days. Remember that 25 kms on the Primitivo are generally much harder than on almost all days of the Francès. I think it will rain and you got to be prepared. I opted for waterproof HOKAs and was glad I did. Lot´s of muddy moments even when it wasńt raining. Didńt carry a sleeping bag. Just a silk liner and that worked fine. Blankets were available, but that may have changed in the pandemic.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi guys ,

4.Huge Altra shoes fan here :) so do i need something serious with goretex or even boots for mid August ?
My wife and I did it in May of 2016 - some wet days. We both had Altras and they were fine. On the times they got wet, they dried quickly.

Thanks Mike ,
I have 14 days total but last 3 caminos i end up in Finisterre by walking ... That is the reason why i will try to finish it in 10 days ;)
One thing i learned is that all plans go to hell when start walking 😂 at least in my experience .
👍

I started the Primitivo the last week of Sept 2019 and took 12 days. I was lucky and didn’t encounter any rain to speak of, though some sections were quite muddy. I wore light weight hiking shoes which dry quickly.

I took a sleeping bag liner and most albergues had blankets if I needed one, though that may not be an option these days.

My stages were:
Oviedo-Grado
Grado-Salas
Salas-Tieno
Tieno-Borres
Borres-Berducedo (Hospitales route)
Berducedo-Grandas de Salime
Grandas de Salime-O Pinieral
O Pinieral-Castroverde
Castroverde-Lugo
Lugo-As Seixas
As Seixas-Salceda
Salceda-Santiago de Compostela

If the weather is good, I recommend the Hospitales route, the views are worth it!! I had a short hike the day before, a sort of rest day, and so glad I did.

Last edited:
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
My wife and I did it in May of 2016 - some wet days. We both had Altras and they were fine. On the times they got wet, they dried quickly.
I also walked the Primitivo in May 2016. We had "some" rain, but it wasn't all too often...I stiill enjoyed plenty of sunshine and loved it all! Trail runners were fine and yes, they do dry quickly.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
2.I am thinking mid August 2020 ( i really apreciate if all "stay home " folks skip this post ..... ) what was the weather like whe you walked Primitivo ?

Did you end up walking the Primitivo this year?

I walked in late May and early June of 2018. It rained quite a bit, was often foggy and rarely sunny. But despite the weather, I enjoyed it a lot. Here are my Camino Primitivo Highlights.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back