Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Primitivo started 1/5/2015 Oviedo

OzAnnie

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Oct/Nov 2022_Mozarabe from Almeria
Still going
Today is 9/5/15 and having rest day inLugo to have a good look around

My feet are feeling it and it is not the easiest walk. Though this will depend on distance per day and fitness /capability etc

I have developed a cold and sore throat so the 30k etapa into Lugo yesterday probably effected me more than others. Another good reason for a rest

So far day 1. To Cabrunanes because didn't follow sign off hway to left Togo to Villapanadas. Cabrunanes is on carretera and 2 of us had whole alburgue Food in nearby restaurante Bar Ana was unbelievable. Mama 84 was cooking. Yum Place wasn't noted in app Camino places so couldn't add a recommendation
Day 2 to Bodenaya
Superb. Private alburgue- donativo
David is a beautiful man. This was everyone's favourite. Quiet music playing
David cooks dinner / discussion on time for breakfast in morning. David wakes peregrinos with music at agreed time. Prepares bfast. In our case we had had 2 days rain and he did laundry and was dry folded in morning.
Evening was 6 peregrinos , David and 2 amigos visiting from Grado. (Note. Grado is nice. Many many bars.

Day 3. To Borres
Stayed in alburgue. Last bunk ! Top !
Then completo. Arriving tired is not best. You have to go to bar 1st for sello

Back to bar later to eat. Was very muddy. So less mud to la cena by joint up onto the rd

Here in the morning I had a major panic. Thought I'd lost my money belt as being on top bunk I had stuffed it is my sleeping bag safety cover and forgot

Day4
Spoiled my day over hospitales route but found it when I pulled my sleeping gear out that evening
Hospitales route. Lovely but long and tough and poured 2nd half of day. So sidestepping rocks mud etc coming down to Berducedo
. Views spectacular. Ran into Ozzie from Tasnania inBerducedo who had come the other way
From Pola de Allende
He said it was a beautiful place too
I stayed in private alburgue as municipal was full. The private filled also
The Tasmanian had a room in the bar that we ate in that evening. He was happy. So think to ask about possibility of rooms
Day 5. Castro
Sandra speaks excellent English
She advised to walk highway for short while leaving Castro to just afterPenafuente as between Grandas and Castro everyone had no choice but to walk thru ankle deep water and major mud. Should have stuck to highway
Food good and price of dinner has been
Ist my 9 euros
The Castro alburgue was 15 euros and included breakfast but not until 8am.
She could prepare for u if you wAnted to leave earlier
Day 6 Fonsegrada. Alburgue
Compjeto. Stayed at pension manola
Very good, New alburgue entering tow but thee is quite a steep arrival to Fonsegrada so walked into town.
The other pension mentioned in northern Camino guide also does camas for 10 euro in small dorm including sheets and towels. Someone who stayed told me this. As well as the private rooms
Other hotels there too with pilgrim taking private rooms
Day 7
Cadavo Baleira
Alburgue completo. Stayed in hotel Moneda. Good. They do dinner for 9.also but walked about and found restaurant eligio. Enjoyed dinner there and they have rooms for 20 euros single. Not in my guide
Day 8. 30 Ks to lugo. Guide says downhill all the way,so I guess the inclines !!!!!were down???
I was under par so felt this walk

Stayed at hotel Metropol. Single 32
No accomm avail much today

Day 8. Rest day. Walked around checking for accomm as football on and all Lugo booked.
So have a smelly private room in Hostsl Buenos Aires. (Just outside City wall) better than sharing and passing on bug to anyone tho

Pension San roque is completo,also pension Alba, also hotel Espana.

I am told alburgue for peregrinos is good but would not open until 1pm
So would be no problem if you go there

Annie

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks for the update. Is this a holiday tome in Spain that all the albergues are full? Hope the rest of your walk is dryer! Liz
Liz
I believe accommodation today in Lugo was due to football and Saturday. No one had problems at the alburgue de peregrinos. I simply didn't want to pick up more possible infection or give mine to others .

Ps weather today in Lugo was magic. T shirt temperature all day. Well rested.
Annie

Annie, thank you for sharing this. I will be on route in 10 days and have planned different stages, shorter stages, than most guides, so I am hoping the albergues will not be as full. Goes to show you how quickly things change and how beloved this Camino is. Extra cash it is for private pensiones I take it! And mud gear as well. Annie, I have a question - what time were you getting in to the albergues? I will be uber slow with my plantar fasciitis, so if I get the feeling I will not get a bed where I am planning to stay I may shorten etapas.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Annie, thank you for sharing this. I will be on route in 10 days and have planned different stages, shorter stages, than most guides, so I am hoping the albergues will not be as full. Goes to show you how quickly things change and how beloved this Camino is. Extra cash it is for private pensiones I take it! And mud gear as well. Annie, I have a question - what time were you getting in to the albergues? I will be uber slow with my plantar fasciitis, so if I get the feeling I will not get a bed where I am planning to stay I may shorten etapas.
Anemone del Camino
Before I came down with this bug. I was finding most of the days hard going. But I am 66 and carrying a bit of weight on me as well as about 9.5kg mochilla when a tiny few snacks and water added
Thus is more than the magic 10% they speak of . I weighed about 68 when I left home

So to answer your question , I was leaving around 7.40 or 8.15 depending on desayuno time and getting to my destination sinetimes at 4.30 and sometimes 5.30 I am not quick and stages are long. I've learnt to accept 'Camino clean' when it rained and rained for days.
Last 3 days have been dream days, even a little too hot from midday.

My feet are crying by the end of day as 2klms on sign always feels like 3 MILES,

I think the busy 'thing ' is really a fluke thing
I had a rest day yesterday in Lugo and saw a lot of peregrinos. I expected to see many. But 2 of my amigos finished in Lugo and a group of 4 friendly espanoles also finished in Lugo

There was plenty of room in Lugo alburgue yesterday even though all the private accommodation (or a lot of it) was booked out for football match (gijon vs lugo)

Maybe a pile of pilgrims had a rest day ?!!
Regarding completo? Earlier( before lugo) the fast people completed the alburgue . You could score accomm in Hostsl, pension , hotel types

I was happy using municipal but
Alburgue in lugo - I needed (being sick). To get some space from Camino

Buen Camino
It is a beauty. Weather should be fantastic when you go. I doubt the mud will be a mess when you leave as you have a relaxed what to do lust !!!

I think it may tone down a little anemone depending on the day. Batches of people / decisions made when to start etc

I think I'm too tired to make sense right now. I'll close this one.

Annie

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
okay now. Some updates
As I was a little sick I sent peregrina2ooo (Laurie ) a pm as the contact number for accomm in 0'candido was coming up 'no existe'

My version of. Nthrn caminos is the one before current and has many nonexistent numbers
- O Candido. At San roman needs updating to
693 063 146 In the end I was there too early because there was no rain or hard yakka

I cancelled my booking and scored a room in casa Rural da Ponte. Hospitalero (manuel)
Helpful. Place is lovely but single is euro 35 plus dinner 15.15 euro plus tea and wine. Total for booking equals 54 euro.
La cena at casa rural did not give choice for dinner. (Doesn't worry me) as all the food is great

Desayuno is at 8am. I may try to join the guys at alburgue 2oo mts away. As that alburgue has desayuno at 7.30am
Sunday today and all places noted to have a bar were closed. This made the day faster as no places to stop and tarry.

Hope this is of use
I'll re read tomorrow to check that my writing makes sense. Too tired now.
Annie.

Did I answer Q about Primitivo busy?
I guess not really today but days up to Lugo were.

It's fab weather now. I think you'll have a beauty if you starting from now

Annie

Last edited:
Annie, I am 44 but carry extra weight and as I am short my steps are short. I have been told I walk the Camino like a Geisha ;0) And isn't funny how the last 2km in the day take as long to walk as the first 8?

I leave in 8 days and cannot wait. Just finished participating in the live webminar on the Salas-Tineo section and it really has be ready to head out. Last question: sleeping bag or liner according to what you are seeing at the moment? Buen Camino!

Thanks for the news, Annie, I'm so glad to hear you are doing well. I once had breakfast in the Casa da Ponte (when I slept in San Roman) and once had dinner there when I stayed in the Ferreira albergue in the days before the current owners who make a great paella, or so I've been told. The people are very nice and can use the business, so I think it's great that we can help them out a bit with their retirement. I remember the man telling me that he was involuntarily "pre-retired" from the Spanish telephone company (a concept I've only come across in Spain but it may exist elsewhere) and was having a hard time.

It seems like you just started, yet here you are ready to join the Frances tomorrow. Yikes! Buen camino, Laurie

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Annie, I am 44 but carry extra weight and as I am short my steps are short. I have been told I walk the Camino like a Geisha ;0) And isn't funny how the last 2km in the day take as long to walk as the first 8?

I leave in 8 days and cannot wait. Just finished participating in the live webminar on the Salas-Tineo section and it really has be ready to head out. Last question: sleeping bag or liner according to what you are seeing at the moment? Buen Camino!
Anemone
I like to take a sleeping bag mysekf and cannot judge what it is like now in the high country you encounter first. However, I am now in Melide and everyone is in T shirts and it's starting to heat up a lot in the afternoon.

I didn't see one alburgue that didn't have blankets in my travels.
Sorry , although I wasn't staying in this alburgue it did have a sign saying 'there are no blankets in this alburgue. It was the municipal at Cadavo Beliero

Annie

Thanks for the news, Annie, I'm so glad to hear you are doing well. I once had breakfast in the Casa da Ponte (when I slept in San Roman) and once had dinner there when I stayed in the Ferreira albergue in the days before the current owners who make a great paella, or so I've been told. The people are very nice and can use the business, so I think it's great that we can help them out a bit with their retirement. I remember the man telling me that he was involuntarily "pre-retired" from the Spanish telephone company (a concept I've only come across in Spain but it may exist elsewhere) and was having a hard time.

It seems like you just started, yet here you are ready to join the Frances tomorrow. Yikes! Buen camino, Laurie
Laurie
There were a number if peregrinos who stopped to rest at Ferriera but were continuing to A Saixes. Having stayed at the casa rural at Ferreira and visiting the nearby private albergue and also doing a 100 meters to visit the bano at alburgue A Saixes. I would not hesitate to recommend the private alburgue at Ferreira for a stop. Wifi /nice set up and I had desayuno there this morning. A great choice of toast, coffee tea. Cereal yoghurt jam eyc. Cakes and biscuits. Isabella was happy to allow others to stop for the breakfast even if, like me,we hadn't slept there.
Annie

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back