Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Primitivo Weather Concerns

SoLive

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances/Salvador/Primitivo (2018)
Hi everyone! Today I made it to Oviedo after completing the San Salvador (Amazing.......Grace!)
Walking from Mieres into Oviedo was magical!
The temperature however dropped tremendously & I’m wondering if I should expect lower temps on the Primitivo &/or if I’ll be alright just layering the clothing I’ve had since I began on the CF on Sept 28th?! I haven’t heard any current descriptions of the Primitivo weather other than what I find for Oviedo forecast info online & the pilgrims office says they aren’t sure of the Primitivo weather either.
Just curious while I still have tonight to shop for something before starting off tomorrow! Thanks in advance!!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Ohhh! By the way! It was raining off & on ALL DAY today so I’m not afraid of the elements I just want to be prepared for them, cause everyone’s freezing in Oviedo tonight! Lol!

TV news told a moment ago, there was snowing a lot today on the mountains on Primitivo route. Hope it’s not lasting long, I’ m lucky to be in Santiago tomorrow

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Wow! I hope it doesn’t! Thank you so much! And CONGRATULATIONS!!!
Buen Camino!

I don't believe anywhere on Primitivo is as high as on the Salvador. But the weather in Europe is getting suddenly very cold today. Check Accuweather. If you are really concerned, ask the local police.

Ohhh! By the way! It was raining off & on ALL DAY today so I’m not afraid of the elements I just want to be prepared for them, cause everyone’s freezing in Oviedo tonight! Lol!
Aemet gives snow at 700Mrs tonight. Rises to 1100 then 1300 Tuesday, Wednesday and higher after that. Temperature between 1and 6C then rising. Keep warm ☺
Buen Camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I don't believe anywhere on Primitivo is as high as on the Salvador. But the weather in Europe is getting suddenly very cold today. Check Accuweather. If you are really concerned, ask the local police.

Thank you so much!

Aemet gives snow at 700Mrs tonight. Rises to 1100 then 1300 Tuesday, Wednesday and higher after that. Temperature between 1and 6C then rising. Keep warm ☺
Buen Camino

OH WOW! THANK YOU!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Advice given to us - if the weather is bad after Borres then go by Pola De Allande and not Hospitales.
If it is bad over Puerto de Palo and to Grandas then walk the road both to and after Berducedo. It has snow poles, at the pass, which are a great help in fog as well as snow. Even a light covering can hide the markers on the paths.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi everyone! Today I made it to Oviedo after completing the San Salvador (Amazing.......Grace!)
Walking from Mieres into Oviedo was magical!
The temperature however dropped tremendously & I’m wondering if I should expect lower temps on the Primitivo &/or if I’ll be alright just layering the clothing I’ve had since I began on the CF on Sept 28th?! I haven’t heard any current descriptions of the Primitivo weather other than what I find for Oviedo forecast info online & the pilgrims office says they aren’t sure of the Primitivo weather either.
Just curious while I still have tonight to shop for something before starting off tomorrow! Thanks in advance!!

Be careful and don't walk alone , its misty in certain places in the middle of summer.

We had a beautiful day in early May 2016 walking the Hospitales route. But a pilgrim friend following us walked the route just one day after we did, had so much fog that he could not even see the path markers (approx. 1 ft. high) at the top. He became rather disoriented and almost lost his way.
I'd be very cautious this time of year and heed the advice of wherever you are staying the night prior about which route to take when heading out the next morning.

Soooo..... I did ask the locals & although they thought the Hospitales Route might be ‘doable’ the next day, some of us were advised to ‘wait til you get there tomorrow & judge for yourselves’! Well..... the walk to the ‘split point’ was so much better & the snow had cleared even more from what I could ‘see’ so I chose to take the Hospitales Route.......
Started out one way & ended up ANOTHER! However MAGICAL it turned out, had I known better I don’t think I’d have chosen it on this day! Mind you, the unexpected snow has downed trees EVERYWHERE in Spain & we have to maneuver DAILY around uprooted, fallen trees! All this being said, this journey is continuing to present me & fill me with much more than I could have EVER imagined! Just unimaginable Grace!

Attachments

• 3F18F138-A840-4340-80A5-7982283763CC.jpeg
    3F18F138-A840-4340-80A5-7982283763CC.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 20
  • F771A235-FD8B-46D9-89B5-C5604E781AF7.jpeg
    F771A235-FD8B-46D9-89B5-C5604E781AF7.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 20
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Soooo..... I did ask the locals & although they thought the Hospitales Route might be ‘doable’ the next day, some of us were advised to ‘wait til you get there tomorrow & judge for yourselves’! Well..... the walk to the ‘split point’ was so much better & the snow had cleared even more from what I could ‘see’ so I chose to take the Hospitales Route.......
Started out one way & ended up ANOTHER! However MAGICAL it turned out, had I known better I don’t think I’d have chosen it on this day! Mind you, the unexpected snow has downed trees EVERYWHERE in Spain & we have to maneuver DAILY around uprooted, fallen trees! All this being said, this journey is continuing to present me & fill me with much more than I could have EVER imagined! Just unimaginable Grace!

OHHHH!!! By the way, I took this route on Thursday, Nov. 1, 2018! I am currently in O’Cadavo, Baleira! The temperature is 49 & it’s raining! We still have to negotiate the trees but the Camino is still a wonder!

Reading with interest thanks for the updates @ so live So 49*F is like about 10* C that’s not too terrible , is there much wind chill factor? How are you coping with the rain ? Using ponchos? Stay warm, Stay safe and thanks really appreciate this info. I’m a week behind you d.v.

Reading with interest thanks for the updates @ so live So 49*F is like about 10* C that’s not too terrible , is there much wind chill factor? How are you coping with the rain ? Using ponchos? Stay warm, Stay safe and thanks really appreciate this info. I’m a week behind you d.v.

Thank you, The Little Flower.
The daytime temperatures have been extremely manageable with layering (& unlayering as needed) & the only time I was even aware of windchill was at the peak of the Hospitales Route. Otherwise I don’t recall it being extremely heavy. Perhaps ‘breezy’ at times of rain. I am wearing a rain jacket, rain pants, gaiters & pack cover & some are wearing ponchos.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

I was just there in mid Sept. and I remember seeing measurement poles for snow. In CO we have them here in the higher elevations. But there were also signs with snowflakes on them adding snow falls in that area. So yeah, you could encounter snow.

I suggest investing in an umbrella and it's great to keep the precip. off of you directly.

I had excellent weather but I had a Mary Poppins type umbrella which was great for the light rain, sun, and as a walking pole. I loved it.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Reading with interest thanks for the updates @ so live So 49*F is like about 10* C that’s not too terrible , is there much Videoder Tubemate Snaptube wind chill factor? How are you coping with the rain ? Using ponchos? Stay warm, Stay safe and thanks really appreciate this info. I’m a week behind you d.v.
Arrived from both Primitivo and Norte a few days ago. There were not any working to be seen on Primitivo, but Works of driving crush were going on on Norte after Vilalba, in Guitiriz county.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...
I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...
https://www.alojamientoloshospitales.com/albergue I found a link to this place in an old thread, but can't find it on WisePilgrim, the Gronze map or if I search by address. Can someone tell me...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.