• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Primitivo Weather... what was yours like?

LesBrass

Likes Walking
Time of past OR future Camino
yes...
The Primitivo is on my wish list and I can't do it this year so I'm thinking ahead ;)

I'm curious... what was the weather like when you walked it... does April always bring showers? Was it glorious in June? Is the autumn colour the best? I know the weather is changeable and unpredictable but I'm trying to judge the best time of year to walk this magnificent trail.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We have walked in mid-May and found the weather good. Too early in the year there can still be snow at high altitudes, too late and it gets too hot....
Also in May everything is still fresh and there are spring flowers etc to enjoy.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I walked in mid May 2017 and the weather was perfect - for me! Quite variable, with a couple of hot days, a wet day, several overcast days and the rest were mixed sunshine and cloud. Never had any problem with accommodation, but then I tend to stop early to mid afternoon. Several places were full by late afternoon.

Mid April in both 2016 and 2017. Weather excellent. No snow and in fact good tanning. A bit of rain as showers on a couple of days. Last year walked near the dam a day after the fires and the surrounding forest was still smoldering. The day b4 we watched helicopters dropping water from the Hospital route so you can tell it was dry. Primitivo gets more popular every year so April helps avoid bed rush too.

@dgallen that has surprised me so much! I wish I had read that a couple of days ago. Everything I've read up to now has suggested that April has a high chance of being very muddy... I don't mind rain but I hate mud :rolleyes: I have a couple of weeks free this April and was really thinking of the Primitivo but the chance of mud put me off. (and this year the weather has been so unusual everywhere)

I totally appreciate that weather is so unpredictable but your reply is food for thought... although May does sounds wonderful and if I'm planning ahead then maybe May would be better... I do love spring flowers.

Oops forgot about last year while walking through the Cantabrian Mountain pass into Galicia we encountered a 2 hr mini snow blizzard. I was wearing my poncho over my shorts... 4km later it was sunny and dry and I was back to a t-shirt. Also that time of spring the wild horses on the Hospital route are giving birth to their foals. We timed it right and watched a birth 20 feet in front of us. Amazing. Make you visit David and his albergue at Bodenaya. He's on Facebook and might be able to tell of the conditions is you message him

I turned on to the Primitivo from the Norte and started from Oviedo on May 10th, 2016. I had mostly great weather with comfortable temps. Just a few days of drizzle and fog, but lots of sun overall. I loved it!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I was in June. Some good days, some cloud, one day heavy rain, warmer after Hospitales. But if you want to avoid mud, look to stay on the road before Tineo - the track gets very muddy (i think with cattle). Love David's albergue at Bodenaya - it really cemented the spirit of the camino, and formed 15 strangers into a solid group - we're all still in touch today.

We started off from Oviedo in week of August 20, 2017 and had lovely weather. I found Oviedo 'unfriendly' and had a hard time getting directions from the local people. Maybe I have a scary face. After Oviedo, it was fine. Lugo is spectacular and worth the trip.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I walked Primitivo mid-late June 2012 and it was very hot. No rain until in Galicia.

Airfare booked and landing in Madrid on Sept.11th and then bus or train to Oviedo. First day of walking will be Sept.13th. Hoping for more dry than wet weather
Previous Camino's have always been early April, so this will be a change. Surprisingly in our 4 April Camino's we encountered very little rain over the years.

I will hit the Primitivo from the Norte around June 14th. Hope to see other Pilgrims. I wear a fluorescent orange baseball cap with a Buen Camino badge on it.
Say hello!
I will look our for you, although if all goes to plan I may be a few days ahead of you. Buen Camino

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I was in June. Some good days, some cloud, one day heavy rain, warmer after Hospitales. But if you want to avoid mud, look to stay on the road before Tineo - the track gets very muddy (i think with cattle). Love David's albergue at Bodenaya - it really cemented the spirit of the camino, and formed 15 strangers into a solid group - we're all still in touch today.
Knee deep mud and water in 2010 and we climbed the bank into the field at that point. The road option (straight on instead of right turn at the cemetery) would have been much better and also shorter at just over 3kms into Tineo. We should have listened to the lady who called out of her bedroom window -"El Camino es feo".

Well... see what you've gone and done! I may have to change my plans now :eek: Thank you all for your replies!

After reading the report from @dgallen and digging some more I'm tempted to switch! I am due to arrive in Burgos on the 16th and start walking the CF on the 17th. I'm possibly meeting a friend at Leon... hence the decision to walk the CF again... but... but... but... I think I want to walk the Primitivo. :oops:

What's a bit of rain and mud between friends?

I'll know more in a week or two about my friends plans... and I'll see what the weather is doing closer to the time. But I could do the Primitivo within my timescales and walk on to Fisterra which would be very nice. I have a room booked in Santiago for the 7th May and my ticket home on the 8th May... I do think it would be a great walk!

p.s. @dgallen - can you send me a link for the Facebook page, I've searched but can't see it (thanks)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Yes, we managed and kept our feet dry in our boots and mud free - the long grass cleaned the previous bit of mud right off. Climbing up the bank and onto the field edge is the only time in my life I have actually 'hugged a tree' and it was warm!! which was a surprise. :)
If the hole had been at the start of the track we would have turned back but it was at the far end.
Another couple who came through the mud-hole were literally mud up to their knees.
I think it has been improved a little now, or follow the road as suggested from Santa Eulalia to Tineo

Walking in 2010 and then 2012 were very different experences. If you look at the Return to the Camino blog (May 2010) around the 13th May you will see how cold and wet it was, resulting in us going back to the coast to walk part of the Norte. This was my introduction to walking the Camino and far from putting me off made me want to walk it even more. Stubborn? contrary?
Walking in 2012 we did have some rain but also warm weather arriving in Santiago on 14th May. It was wonderful.

I'm starting Primitivo on April 27th this year from Oviedo, and weather is my great concern, so I would appreciate your advice! 2 years ago I was on Camino Frances (in April) and the weather was ok, although there was a few rainy and windy days. But the temperature was fine and fleece and soft shell was enough. So I don't know if fleece and soft shell jacket would be enough for Primitivo in May, or maybe I should think about some warmer jacket (hope not :confused:)?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Not having done the primitivo 'yet' June this year I start. Going by my experiences of UK weather in the hills that time of year, I would say something lightweight but waterproof and an extra fleece would do the trick. Don't forget a hat and gloves. Buen Camino!

I'm starting Primitivo on April 27th this year from Oviedo, and weather is my great concern, so I would appreciate your advice! 2 years ago I was on Camino Frances (in April) and the weather was ok, although there was a few rainy and windy days. But the temperature was fine and fleece and soft shell was enough. So I don't know if fleece and soft shell jacket would be enough for Primitivo in May, or maybe I should think about some warmer jacket (hope not :confused:)?
Is the soft shell windproof? We actually carried two fleeces and a poncho for wet weather. Fleeces were 1 medium and 1 light so we could wear one or both but they were not windproof. Our more recent medium fleeces are both windproof and reversible and it is the windproof factor which is most useful.

Is the soft shell windproof? We actually carried two fleeces and a poncho for wet weather. Fleeces were 1 medium and 1 light so we could wear one or both but they were not windproof. Our more recent medium fleeces are both windproof and reversible and it is the windproof factor which is most useful.
Yes, mine soft shell jacket is windproof but not waterproof so I carried (and will carry) a raincoat. Maybe for Primitivo I could also buy a woolen long sleeves T-shirt for cold days...

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thinking back to both 2010 (cold) and 2012 (warmer) I walked in a long sleeve shirt and trousers with both fleeces at the start of the day and my rain pants to keep my legs warm. My poncho would act as a windbreak but I don't remember needing it except on the rainy days in 2012. (In 2010 we were only aiming a short walk and left the Primitivo for the Norte). I carried 2 sets of thin thermal long sleeved vest and longjohns which I wore in the albergues under my normal gear, doubled as pyjamas. I never walked in them as it would have been hard to remove them as the day warmed up.
My reversible windproof fleece dates from 2013 (another cold year) and I had that plus my lightweight fleece. Basically I had 2 full sets of clothes including the fleece plus extra undies and socks and the thermal undies. One set on, one set in pack unless wearing double fleeces

I have never carried a jacket or soft shell or raincoat, being a poncho fan. I feel the cold but my set-up worked well for me. Time was about the same as we reached Santiago on May 14th in 2012.

Hope that helps you
Buen Camino

Well... see what you've gone and done! I may have to change my plans now :eek: Thank you all for your replies!

After reading the report from @dgallen and digging some more I'm tempted to switch! I am due to arrive in Burgos on the 16th and start walking the CF on the 17th. I'm possibly meeting a friend at Leon... hence the decision to walk the CF again... but... but... but... I think I want to walk the Primitivo. :oops:

I'll know more in a week or two about my friends plans... and I'll see what the weather is doing closer to the time. But I could do the Primitivo within my timescales and walk on to Fisterra which would be very nice. I have a room booked in Santiago

p.s. @dgallen - can you send me a link for the Facebook page, I've searched but can't see it (thanks)

I'll know more in a week or two about my friends plans... and I'll see what the weather is doing closer to the time. But I could do the Primitivo within my timescales and walk on to Fisterra which would be very nice. I have a room booked in Santiago for the 7th May and my ticket home on the 8th May... I do think it would be a great walk!

I think that's a good plan... and to do the Finisterre and Muxia circuit is the icing on the cake.

David C is https://www.facebook.com/david.carricondosalcedo

Last edited:
I am in Ribadiso now. It hasn’t stopped raining since I began walking. I love it. Cold morning and cool days. The dogs who normally greet pilgrims with a bark and wag of tail won’t move from their dry shelters. They just stare without expression. Probably the way we must look whilst soaked to the bone walking and walking until we find our own dry shelter. I may sound crazy, but I wouldn’t have it any other way. Heavenly.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
We turned on to Primitivo in mid-May 2016. The Norte had been a bit muddy still and I remember the Primitivo a little dryer. We had many days of sun - including our day on Hospitales route - a bit of fog, a bit of gloom but nothing awful ever. Quite tanned from sun and pictures are all in short sleeves. Have fun

I will hit the Primitivo from the Norte around June 14th. Hope to see other Pilgrims. I wear a fluorescent orange baseball cap with a Buen Camino badge on it.
Say hello!
I am starting Norte/Primitivo around June 1st so our paths may cross. I wear a blue Toronto Maple Leaf hat. Hope to see you on the trail. Safe travels and Buen Camino!

I'm 68.Did the Primitivo last September. Gave myself far more time than I needed in order to go at a relaxed pace& did short stages.So was often first at albergues. So, give yourself plenty of time & September shouldnt be a problem. I also bivouaced a few nights, with poncho/tarp, cos its fun-but the possibility I could do this removed all anxiety. Quite a few places allowed this. Wild camping is technicaly illegal, but I was told not too much fuss is made if youre obviously a pilgrim, & use common sense (waste ground, no stoves, polite,etc). I found all the private albergues were spotless, and good value. The municipal ones were better tham I expected & some v. good. Weather in September? Well, its Spain . Start of walk v. hot for me. Pleasant when high up.Never had to put a fleece on during the day , just wore travel shirt & high tech vest , but took one in case & had a merino l/s vest as clean change . Merino socks & Armaskin sock liners =no blisters.Put poncho on against rain ,er, 4 times, thats including a wet morning in Santiago. I didnt stay at Davids place, but met people who thought he was brilliant.Hope this helps.

We started off from Oviedo in week of August 20, 2017 and had lovely weather. I found Oviedo 'unfriendly' and had a hard time getting directions from the local people. Maybe I have a scary face. After Oviedo, it was fine. Lugo is spectacular and worth the trip.
Nice to hear, as I'm starting Primitivo about the same time this year. The route seems spectacular… Don't know about my face, though:)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I did the Primitivo in late Feb 17 and it was a mixed bag of weather, mainly wet though. It's the only time I wished I brought with me gaiters as some stretches where muddy. I did go up Hospitales (990m climb) even though the weather was foal, wind, fog and mist, didn't really see much with the views it offers as a result, a real shame. The chap at Borres, just before Hospitales, had told me that when he did the route the previous March there was snow at Hospitales. It was like being on Brecon Beacons and looked like it as well, even loose cattle walking across my path!
I really enjoyed the Primitivo and intend to do it again in the Holy Year of 2021.

Not having done the primitivo 'yet' June this year I start. Going by my experiences of UK weather in the hills that time of year, I would say something lightweight but waterproof and an extra fleece would do the trick. Don't forget a hat and gloves. Buen Camino!

Hi, I'll be starting around the 18th June; maybe we'll cross paths! :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
What are your favorite restaurants, bars, hotels, inns, etc on the Camino Frances NOT in albergues please? Gracias.
We just returned home from watching our second total solar eclipse here in the U.S. in 7 years. Our next is in 20 years. We have become hooked on the magical, mystical, moving unique experience...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back