Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Primitivo ... wondering if we walk to Sobrado de Monxes

KerryW

KerryW
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2016
Via Podiensis 2017
Norte/Prim 2019
Hi everyone My husband and I begin to walk the Norte/Primitivo route in late May and would love some advice. We've already walked the Frances, and walked through the stages which are shared with the Primitivo camino, and as we have found our most impacting experiences whilst staying at the monasteries/in communal settings, are feeling like we will miss something if we miss Sobrado de Monxes. We're wondering if anyone has advice as to where we best leave the Primitivo to track up to SdM, whether you'd advise this, or ... Thank you!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I agree, well worth while. And the monastery is spectacular.

I am walking this mixed Camino in early May. Starting at Oviedo, after Lugo, I plan to turn RIGHT, onto the Ruta Verde, the Green Route.

It connects Lugo on the Primitivo with Sobrado dos Monxes on the Norte, via Friol. From Friol, one heads on the end of the Norte, joining the end of the Frances at Lavacolla.

Based on my research I am planning two weeks from Oviedo to Santiago.

Last edited:
I am walking this mixed Camino in early May. Starting at Oviedo, after Lugo, I plan to turn left, onto the Rita Verde, the Green Route.

It connects Lugo on the Primitivo with Sobrado dos Monxes on the Norte, via Friol. From Friol, one heads on the end of the Norte, joining the end of the Frances at Lavacolla.

Thanks so much! Do you have your fav stops planned for that O to S route?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I walked the Verde two springs ago. We lost the trail on the way to Friol, ended up hoofing it alongside a busy two-lane road, but we survived. Otherwise it was a wonder!
I recommend writing ahead to the porter at Sobraado and booking a room in their hospederia. It´s clean and quiet, and you are very near the chapel where the brothers sing the hours. Just try not to arrive during their siesta, or you´ll just have to wait outside.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I am walking this mixed Camino in early May. Starting at Oviedo, after Lugo, I plan to turn RIGHT, onto the Ruta Verde, the Green Route.

Are you walking before or after your volunteer stint in Santiago? I leave from Oviedo like on the 7th after my two weeks in Santiago.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Chris: I am doing it so I can report back to everyone here. My interest has been exploring alternatives to joining the throngs on the Camino Frances, especially after Sarria. This will become more of an imperative for the coming 2021 Holy Year and beyond.

As a general statement, many of us Camino veterans prize the solitude, peace and tranquility that comes with lower pilgrim volumes. My efforts are trying to support that.

The “Camino Mixto” as I call it, is a viable alternative route to follow the first Camino path, the Primitivo, then cut over to the end of the Norte, and finish the last day or two (only) on the Frances. We will see what happens.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yes. I do not plan to leave destruction and devastation in my wake, so you will be safe... I will try to keep pillaging and looting to a minimum... LOL...

Actually the only things I ever take are memories and photos. I have to send my wife 'fresh' flowers from Spain every day while on Camino.

I text them to her so she wakes up to fresh flowers each day. The six-hour time variance helps in that regard. I am usually done walking for the day when she gets up.

It is part of the price I pay for being 'allowed' to do Camino... a more than fair exchange I would say...

Hi Kerry / hi all,

Walked the Camino Verde (from Lugo, via Friol to Sobrado dos Monxes) June 2018. I can recommend it. However, when it's wet and muddy you might want to take the regular Primitivo to Melide.

See my contributions regarding the Camino Verde:
Here and here

Just not to get lost I looked at the route once or twice only:
See wikiloc routes Camino Verde here

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I walked the Verde two springs ago. We lost the trail on the way to Friol, ended up hoofing it alongside a busy two-lane road, but we survived. Otherwise it was a wonder!
I recommend writing ahead to the porter at Sobraado and booking a room in their hospederia. It´s clean and quiet, and you are very near the chapel where the brothers sing the hours. Just try not to arrive during their siesta, or you´ll just have to wait outside.
Thank you so much. This is very helpful! Added to the planner!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Do you have any information for the part from Sobrado to Lavacolla?, we want to do that part early May.

I am leaving Oviedo on May 11 and interested in Ruta Verde - is it waymarked as all caminos?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Yes. I do not plan to leave destruction and devastation in my wake, so you will be safe... I will try to keep pillaging and looting to a minimum... LOL...

Actually the only things I ever take are memories and photos. I have to send my wife 'fresh' flowers from Spain every day while on Camino.

I text them to her so she wakes up to fresh flowers each day. The six-hour time variance helps in that regard. I am usually done walking for the day when she gets up.

It is part of the price I pay for being 'allowed' to do Camino... a more than fair exchange I would say...
Whew, Tom, my jaw nearly dropped when you mentioned sending your spouse fresh flowers every day from Spain! I was glad to read further and that they were sent virtually! I was ready to bestow upon you "best in show" for "man of the year", but now it's still up for grabs! 😂

Tincatinker is correct, but...

South of Sobrado the route splits into three separate routes, all eventually wind up on the Camino France, but before Santiago. IMHO, the Wise PIlgrim Guides (del Norte Route) has the best description of these segments.

One route goes to Lavacolla (this was to be my choice), the others intersect with the Frances farther west, like around Arzua. For reference, the 'traditional' Primitivo joins the Frances at Melide.

I have not walked this route, but my research indicates that the final leg from Boimil is on secondary or tertiary local roads. They may not be marked with green arrows, but will certainly have road signs. At this point, you can use Google Maps for finding your way to the intersection with the Camino Frances...

Hope this helps.

Chris:

Thanks for the kind words. No, I have been in the habit of taking lots of flower photos everytime I walk a Camino. In April and May, there is no shortage of flowers on display.

Then using the six-hour time difference, I compose a 'good morning' text message and send along one photo from the previous 24-hours. Evidently, they make an impression, several have been printed on linen and framed in our home.

I use my iPhone Xr camera... Nothing fancy. But, I do try to compose the shots.

Not walking this year, it will be a challenge to find suitable photo subjects... Oh well, adapt and overcome...

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Chris:

Thanks for the kind words. No, I have been in the habit of taking lots of flower photos everytime I walk a Camino. In April and May, there is no shortage of flowers on display.

Then using the six-hour time difference, I compose a 'good morning' text message and send along one photo from the previous 24-hours. Evidently, they make an impression, several have been printed on linen and framed in our home.

I use my iPhone Xr camera... Nothing fancy. But, I do try to compose the shots.

Not walking this year, it will be a challenge to find suitable photo subjects... Oh well, adapt and overcome...
I'm going to have to show this post of yours to my hubby!😉

But WHAT does a woman send her husband? Surely NOT flowers every day...

There MUST be an answer but I am not sure I want to go there... ;)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
What is almost certain when doing the Camiño Verde is that a wolf is not far from you. But it is very difficult seeing one of them and are not dangerous for people.

Wolves killed a cow in Friol this week.

Wolves killed a cow in Friol this week.

On the Sanabrés, I was taking a “rest stop” behind a bush when my two French companions saw a wolf standing there, kind of majestically yet disdainfully looking at them and then walked way. So I blame my failure to see a wolf on my aging bladder.

And for those who are interested in wolves, though this is not on the Primitivo, I would highly recommend a 1/2 km hike up from the medical center in Lubián (Sanabrés) to see the wolf trap. (Cortello do lobo, I think is the Galego version). A stone circle with the walls slanting inward. They put a baby sacrificial lamb in the middle and when the wolf leapt over to eat it, it found that the angle of the stone wall prohibited its exit.

@Pelegrin, maybe you have more accurate information than what I just wrote but that is what I remember.
Buen camino, Laurie

On the Sanabrés, I was taking a “rest stop” behind a bush when my two French companions saw a wolf standing there, kind of majestically yet disdainfully looking at them and then walked way. So I blame my failure to see a wolf on my aging bladder.

And for those who are interested in wolves, though this is not on the Primitivo, I would highly recommend a 1/2 km hike up from the medical center in Lubián (Sanabrés) to see the wolf trap. (Cortello do lobo, I think is the Galego version). A stone circle with the walls slanting inward. They put a baby sacrificial lamb in the middle and when the wolf leapt over to eat it, it found that the angle of the stone wall prohibited its exit.

@Pelegrin, maybe you have more accurate information than what I just wrote but that is what I remember.
Buen camino, Laurie

Laurie, I don't have more information about the Cortello dos Lobos in Lubian that in Galego means Little Stable for Wolves.
About Friol, there is a theory about the origin of this toponomy that could have Germanic origin Friol(fe) with olfe (wolves) like other toponomy in Galicia, Asturias and Portugal:
Frexulfe, Friolfe, Fresulfe.

€83,-
As Poul Erik stated you have some camino markings in that area.
Try to follow the green arrows unless you see only yellow ones. The yellow arrows should follow more roads.
I found enough green arrows, so I skipped them.

If you look at the starting point on google streetview you will see the stone and the arrows pointing in different directions.

Accomodation is only in Friol (Casa Benigno). I'm not sure which day they closed, but they had a closing day some years ago. Even arriving here uninformed is not a total disaster. You can still go back to Lugo by bus. If you need that bus has also a few stops near the camino route, e.g. on the LU232 near the church Santa Maria Alta.
The second day involves more road walking.
After Sobrado I'd recommend a short day to Boimorto (Albergue, mostly on tarmac) and a long final leg to the Francés on one of the ways that skip Arzúa. Twin Pines (already on the detour) I only know by name. The new alternative looks like 28km road walking to Lavacolla, while the French way features that compacted earth surface that we know too well.
I did my own walk from Boimorto to the Francés avoiding Arzúa and enjoying some agricultural tracks before entering the CF. Especially if you prebook in a smaller village you can enjoy the quieter afternoon hours on the Francés and walk as far as you can get. Sure you will see more people at night, but the big crowd will be in Arzúa, Pedrouso or Santiago.

pretty sure there are a couple of (semi-ruined) wolf traps along the Vadiniense, in Portillo de la Reina, or Espejos? I know there's a really cool old fulling mill that sometimes still operates up there.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back