• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Privacy in the shower

Jawad

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2023
Hello all,

I am leaving to Spain tomorrow; however, I come from a culture where privacy in the bathroom is highly appreciated and therefore would like to know whether the same traditions apply in Spain or I should not be surprised seeing groups of naked men sharing the showers such as other cultures.

Thank you for your help and Buen Camino to all current pilgrims

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hello all,

I am leaving to Spain tomorrow; however, I come from a culture where privacy in the bathroom is highly appreciated and therefore would like to know whether the same traditions apply in Spain or I should not be surprised seeing groups of naked men sharing the showers such as other cultures.

Culturally it will be a little different; and there is a wide range within even Western Europe.

I was at an all male boarding school, played rugby and spent some time in the army. I probably spent an unusual amount of time stark bollock naked, (but not so much as the Royal Marines of my acquaintance), and it doesn’t concern me. Nor my Scandinavian friends and those for whom the sauna is a routine social event.

In an albergue there a certain amount of necessity for shared bathroom facilities - but privacy is respected so far as is possible. You will certainly not be the only one feeling a little apprehensive..

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Well, most communal bathrooms are gender specific. Some are both genders. If concerned - do your research before selecting albergues. That said - I have not been to an albergue that does NOT have individual shower stalls. You can have privacy in the shower stalls. You can easily shower and dress in the shower stalls (although some are more cramped than others and your clean clothes may get a little wet).

That said - there may be people who don't seek privacy as they are dressing/undressing. I didn't see any total nudity myself, but it could occur. I did see lots of people in their undergarments at various times in the room and/or in the bathroom. It doesn't bother me, I just focus my attention elsewhere.

Most albergue showers these days have privacy screens or curtains but there are still a few places where you may find open communal showers and other naked men.
There seem to be more "gang showers" for guys than for girls. Nonetheless, the ladies' shower in Ponte de Lima muni albergue was very definitely a "communal" experience! Haven't had that since junior high school.
Putting my dry clothes on the windowsill and going to the spigot to get clean. And I was told by other ladies that I was lucky, it had been full of our sisters before I wandered in.
So you never really know. As my mom said about life in the service, "it all goes for twenty." IOW if you find that the shower is a group experience, you can hope it's empty when you use it.
I have only seen that one as a group shower for ladies but my DH said to me that there are more of those for fellows.
You will survive.
BC

The municipal in O Cebreiro is one where the showers are a communal thing, at least for women…so I’m assuming the same goes for men.
It was the last time I was there. Doesn't bother me in the slightest either.

The op could always carry a pestemal and use that, but the best thing is to understand that the vast majority of normal people don't care at all.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The op could always carry a pestemal and use that, but the best thing is to understand that the vast majority of normal people don't care at all.
The op said they come from a country where privacy in the bathroom is highly appreciated, and they were wondering what the bathroom situation was like in Spain. With all due respect, they weren’t asking for possible solutions, which may or may not work in their situation. And I’m struggling with how exactly to phrase this, but who are the ‘normal’ people?

The op said they come from a country where privacy in the bathroom is highly appreciated, and they were wondering what the bathroom situation was like in Spain. With all due respect, they weren’t asking for possible solutions, which may or may not work in their situation. And I’m struggling with how exactly to phrase this, but who are the ‘normal’ people?
Ahh, I don't mean to offend in any way at all. I also think potential solutions are exactly what the OP would like in this case. A modest covering in the case of a pestemal is exactly the way forward in terms of hiding what's 'down there'.
Sorry you take offense at the word 'normal'. I mean it as a pilgrim who is in the showers and just interested in doing their own perfectly normal thing (showering) rather than a pervert who may be thinking / doing...well... .

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Jawad
From my experience on a few Camino Frances trips, open showering areas in the male bathrooms are rare.
I doubt there are any in the many private albergues. In nearly all municipal and parroquial albergues you will have a private cubicle as well. Perhaps the most likely open shower areas are in the larger Xunta-run albergues in Galicia. From my camino last October I can confirm as truenothpilgrim mentions above, the Xunta municipal in O Cebreiro is an open shower area. Also the Xunta municipal in Arzua.
However, the big and recently modernised Xunta albergue at Arco/O Pedrouzo does have separate private showering cubicles. And I recall the one in Sarria had cubicles too.
While there may perhaps be more open shower areas in Xunta albergues, there are also a wider range of alternative albergues to stay at. For instance in Triacastela you have nice private albergues like Berce do Camino charging just 10eur.
Buen camino, tom

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I would say that Spain generally leans towards to the more private side of the spectrum as compared to our neighbors to the north. There are a few situations in the albergues mentioned above where showering is more open, but I cannot think of a single private albergue that did not have private stalls for showering.

To dissect your question a bit more:
1. You are almost always going to find a way to be discreet with your own nudity.
2. You will be powerless to control the way that others handle their own. By this I mean that it is inevitable that another pilgrim will in a public space (outside of the shower stall or even in the dormitory) in a state of undress.

These culture collisions, like the snoring, is included in the price of admission.

Most albergue showers these days have privacy screens or curtains but there are still a few places where you may find open communal showers and other naked men.
There are a few and far between albergues where I have stayed where not only are the showers open to all to view but they shared the same space as the urinals and these shower room were co-ed.

Ahh, I don't mean to offend in any way at all. I also think potential solutions are exactly what the OP would like in this case. A modest covering in the case of a pestemal is exactly the way forward in terms of hiding what's 'down there'.
Sorry you take offense at the word 'normal'. I mean it as a pilgrim who is in the showers and just interested in doing their own perfectly normal thing (showering) rather than a pervert who may be thinking / doing...well... .
I have read your response and … well, yes, I have read it.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I can only write about my experience in June of 2022. I mostly stayed in albergues but also a few pensions, an abb and one hotel. I never saw group showers. I recall being in spaces similar to a stall with a locked door. One place I stayed had a Ladies large shower/bathroom with a lock. I arrived around noon and used it very quickly (showered and dressed but did the sorting/hair/repacking outside the bathroom) in case someone was coming in behind me but as it turned out, I was the only female there that night.

Hello all,

In 2019 I stayed in a small albergue in Atapuerca (don't remember the name) where men and women shared the same shower room. There were stalls with curtains but the entire area was quite small. I managed to shower and dress behind the curtain but my clothes got a little wet. However, in the small common space outside the curtain there were both men and women walking around naked. The door to the room was at one end and the space was small enough that if you were at the end away from the door you were going to have a close encounter with someone unclothed as you exited. I chalked it up to just another unique Camino experience.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The albergue in Requejada has ONE shower stall with four shower heads.

This is a picture from Gronze. This ONE stall for men and women is behind the toilets and the sink. You can see the small opening to the left of the sink.

requejada-clara-3.jpg

When I stayed there in 2018 there were only 5 of us spending the night - 3 women and one man. We took turns with the shower. 😉

All human bodies look more or less alike. Averting one's eye is the cultural norm, at least in all of Europe that I have visited over the decades.

As others have said already, custody of one's eyes is a personal and cultural responsibility. Conduct yourself in a demure manner - not flaunting what you have or do not have - and you will be fine. A glance is one thing. A studied stare or glare is another.

I rather doubt that other pilgrims go on Camino to see naked bodies. In any event, one look at my rotund corpus, and folks would die of laughter, or otherwise.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Last edited:
Hello all,

I am a middle aged male and not worried about privacy ,however I have never seen a naked male or female on my dozen Caminos. On rare occasions I have seen a woman in a bra , but never heard a comment or gesture. I did witness a humorous situation or two with my teenage daughter and my son on different walks . But best told over a beer.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hello all,

I would say 99% of bath is divided into women / men. Showers are always with privacy cabins. Only mirrors and tooth brushing is communial .
Buen Camino

The municipal in O Cebreiro is one where the showers are a communal thing, at least for women…so I’m assuming the same goes for men.
Yes, the same for men but it was the only communal shower that I came across on my Camino.

I actually encountered more total nudity in the common sleeping rooms than in the bathrooms\showers

Agree with all that is said before -
be nice, respectful & polite with your eyes (never mind anything else 🥸)​
If worried about your own exposure - either shower in bathing suit\swim trunks​
Consider private rooms with en-suite (Modesty does come with a price ya know 🥹)​
Say ' the HECK with it' and embrace (ahem) new (double ahem) culture! 🤣
Good luck @Jawad and Buen Shower.....er... Camino!​

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
A good tip is if you find yourself in an open shower or shower cubicle without a door situation is to be aware when other pilgrims routinely take their showers. Normally in the afternoon after check in. So a good time to go for privacy would be dinner time when most people are out, later in the evening or in the morning.

There was one albergue in Galicia on the Sanabres where the showers were in one big open room.

I’d say if you had to ask about this, you’ll need either book private rooms with hopefully private bathrooms (or at least a shared bathroom with a lock) or do a detailed research which hostel has a specific type of bathroom accommodation. Is there such a thing as privacy in hostels? Only hostel (in Arcade on CP) I stayed had a bathroom without any dividers in the shower - military /jail style showers (no dropping of the soap🤣) with a flooded floor. Afterward I only booked private rooms as I realized hostels aren’t my thing.

No need for private rooms just because one wants a little privacy in the bathroom.

"Military/jail - style showers" as you call them, are NOT the norm in Camino albergues. Certainly not on the Francés.

Most of the time you'll have a shower cubicle with a door you can lock from the inside. Sometimes only a shower curtain, but even that is rare.

I've stayed in countless albergues and only one had a mixed bathroom with curtains only / some curtains missing. What happened was that the pilgrims made sure that only men or women were in the shower room at one time, and someone guarded the door.

Totally unnecessary to paint horror scenarios for others!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
"Jail style showers where you better don't drop the soap" does sound like a horror scenario, but maybe that's just me!

To stay on topic - in the opening post it was asked if groups of naked people should be expected in the bathrooms.

From experience of more of a hundred nights in albergues, in my experience, no. Most people will use the cubicles to change into their clothes and not walk around naked, but prefer some privacy (as far as it is possible in an albergue). Some will walk around naked, but it's a minority. And if you prefer to take a shower and change into your clothes without anyone seeing you undressed, that's usually no problem.

Personally, I hang my clean clothes over the cubicle door. So they mostly stay dry, and even if the lock doesn't work people see that the cubicle is occupied.

I agree that if someone needs that much privacy that even using a locked cubicle in shared bathrooms is unbearable, or seeing someone else naked or only half-way dressed is something they want to avoid alltogether, a private room with private bathroom is the solution.

But, no hordes of naked people in the bathroom and no group-showers without private cubicles, usually. Which is what I thought was the question, but maybe I got that wrong (not a native speaker, sorry!).

Last edited:
I think that I am blessed to be as “normal” as it ever gets. And most people are the same. Those who aren’t are abnormal. I hope that helps.

€46,-
Oh for heaven's sake. The OP asks about cultural standards in pilgrim albergues in Spain and within an international pilgrim community. Drop the sexual innuendos. There are cultural environments (countries, communities, families) where everyone runs around naked and there are cultural environments where people keep primary and even secondary sex characteristics hidden from the view of others. This simple fact should hardly be a surprise for anyone. None of this has anything to do with sexual activity or sexual interest - normal or abnormal for that matter. The OP just wants to know how shower rooms are organised or set up and used by pilgrims in Camino albergues.

Oh for heaven's sake. The OP asks about cultural standards in pilgrim albergues in Spain and within an international pilgrim community. Drop the sexual innuendos. There are cultural environments (countries, communities, families) where everyone runs around naked and there are cultural environments where people keep primary and even secondary sex characteristics hidden from the view of others. This simple fact should hardly be a surprise for anyone. None of this has anything to do with sexual activity or sexual interest - normal or abnormal for that matter. The OP just wants to know how shower rooms are organised or set up and used by pilgrims in Camino albergues.
Hi Kathar1na. I’m not sure if you’re responding to me or not. My reference to normal and abnormal contained no (intentional) sexual innuendo. I was making a satirical response to the notion of “normal” - as there is obviously no such thing- and anyone who suggests they are is questionable. If I upset you I’m very sorry.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
In twelve or more months 2015-2019 as hospitalero, we had one complaint about nudity in the bed rooms reported to us. Unknown how many incidents were unreported—I suspect few. We had co-ed bathrooms but all the shower and toilet stalls had doors. Each shower stall included a changing area inside the door so your clothes wouldn't get wet.

I've also slept in 44 hostels or albergues in fourteen countries without seeing a multi-person shower. Of those 44, 21 were on the Camino Francés or Vía de la Plata. One municipal had a distorting/blurring glass door but the rest were completely private.
Somehow, this reply went to a different thread. Copied and pasted here where it was intended.

Hello all,

It depends on what camino you are doing. On the Via de la Plata it varies greatly between albergues. Very few had communal showers, most were single person sized cubicles. The more common issues are a lack of hot water or the wall attachment for the shower head being broken etc.

€46,-
Hello all,

I always had privacy in the shower with a curtain and sometimes a whole door or room to myself! I did not see naked people in the rooms- lots of men in underwear only though just fyi. Also FYI- I saw naked men swim in the river and topless women at the beaches.

I once stayed for a month at a (Saudi) hotel in Riyadh that had a very good (men only) gym, which did have a large communal change room. There was a conspicuous notice in English informing visiting guests that it is culturally inappropriate to be fully naked in the presence of others and to please observe appropriate modesty. It was a polite reminder of something that many of us from other cultures might not be aware of.
So I would say to the OP - in three long Caminos, staying mostly in municipal and Xunta albergues, I don't believe I have ever found myself in a situation where you would not feel comfortable.

When I worked in London during the 1980s one of my British workmates was a rugby player and their team was short of some players one weekend and so he came up to me and said "You are a Kiwi, you must know how to play rugby, we are desperately short of players this weekend, will you come and play with us? It will be fun".

As it happened, I did know how to play rugby and was quite good in my day but I hadn't played for about 13 years.

After thinking about it for a couple of minutes I said yes. On Saturday morning we played. I won't mention the game itself but I had a very interesting experience in the changing rooms after the game.

It seems in Britain at that time (possibly still) that the club changing rooms had this huge concrete bath and all the players from all the games got into the bath together, naked.

When I first saw this I was a little taken aback, not the least because the bath water was a very dirty grey colour.

My workmate noticed my reticence and urged me on. My personal philosophy is to try everything at least once and so I hopped into the bath with everyone else and I am glad to report that nothing bad happened.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I once stayed for a month at a (Saudi) hotel in Riyadh that had a very good (men only) gym, which did have a large communal change room. There was a conspicuous notice in English informing visiting guests that it is culturally inappropriate to be fully naked in the presence of others and to please observe appropriate modesty. It was a polite reminder of something that many of us from other cultures might not be aware of.
So I would say to the OP - in three long Caminos, staying mostly in municipal and Xunta albergues, I don't believe I have ever found myself in a situation where you would not feel comfortable.
Very good point. But clearly you haven't stayed at the Xunta albergue in O Cebreiro. There is always an exception.

Just like I would say that albergues normally provide pillows, but there is a very highly recommended albergue that was the exception to that, too.

Hello all,

I have bee on the Camino more than a dozen times and have never seen ONE naked person in albergue / showers

I have bee on the Camino more than a dozen times and have never seen ONE naked person in albergue / showers
I guess you haven't stayed at the Xunta albergue in O Cebreiro on any of your dozen Caminos. The showers there had nothing to hide the guys who were using it from each other, just one big room with a bunch of nozzles (like high school, back in the day).

Like albergues without pillows, they are rare but they exist.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The weirdest thing I encountered on the Le Puy Camino was having to share a room with a couple in a double bed next to me and I was in a single bed next to them. I was a 66 year old female at the time and was horrified. They appeared to be naked. The gite was full.
I was out of this gite very quickly in the morning!

Culturally it will be a little different; and there is a wide range within even Western Europe.

I was at an all male boarding school, played rugby and spent some time in the army. I probably spent an unusual amount of time stark bollock naked, (but not so much as the Royal Marines of my acquaintance), and it doesn’t concern me. Nor my Scandinavian friends and those for whom the sauna is a routine social event.

In an albergue there a certain amount of necessity for shared bathroom facilities - but privacy is respected so far as is possible. You will certainly not be the only one feeling a little apprehensive..
I'm one of those Scandinavians, and communal saunas are the most common thing for us.. and importantly, it's a kind of "band of sisters" (or brothers). But, we always have the towel on, and we never focus on the body, just that we are unique creatures with a community. It's relaxing and natural, kind of like the Romans did, I suppose?. But, I admit, I probably couldn't relax with men around. It's just a cultural thing. Whether you're comfortable or not, I can understand it seems strange.

Attachments

• 1685292406656.png
    1685292406656.png
    312 bytes · Views: 24
Last edited:
I guess you haven't stayed at the Xunta albergue in O Cebreiro on any of your dozen Caminos. The showers there had nothing to hide the guys who were using it from each other, just one big room with a bunch of nozzles (like high school, back in the day).

Like albergues without pillows, they are rare but they exist.

I do not mind showering in a same sex communal bathroom like O Cebreiro though I noticed some females being very apprehensive when they entered and saw the open floor.
So I told them that if they waited for a couple of minutes till I got dressed I would leave so the two of them ( good friends ) had the shower to themselves. It is all about getting to feel the finesses of cultural differences and act accordingly.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'm one of those Scandinavians, and communal saunas are the most common thing for us.. and importantly, it's a kind of "band of sisters". But, we always have the towel on, and we never focus on the body, just that we are unique creatures with a community. It's relaxing and natural, kind of like the Romans did, I suppose?. But, I admit, I probably couldn't relax with men around. It's just a cultural thing. Whether you're comfortable or not, I can understand it seems strange.
I wrote "keep the towel on". I visited Finland (homeland of saunas), and they did not use towels at all, just being naturally naked.. it just took a few times, then I got used to that too.. so, culture is different, one can adapt if it feels comfortable :)

Last edited:
I do not mind showering in a same sex communal bathroom like O Cebreiro though I noticed some females being very apprehensive when they entered and saw the open floor.
So I told them that if they waited for a couple of minutes till I got dressed I would leave so the two of them ( good friends ) had the shower to themselves. It is all about getting to feel the finesses of cultural differences and act accordingly.
I'm not saying there is necessarily anything wrong with same sex communal showers. I'm just saying that they exist in some albergues. To more fully answer OP's original question.

I'm not saying there is necessarily anything wrong with same sex communal showers. I'm just saying that they exist in some albergues. To more fully answer OP's original question.

That was not the intention of my post. Merely writing down my personal impressions and the fact I do not mind same sex communal showers.

I would say 99% of bath is divided into women / men. Showers are always with privacy cabins. Only mirrors and tooth brushing is communial .
Buen Camino
I’d say it’s certainly rare to find an albergue where a modest pilgrim would not feel comfortable showering. The vast majority looks something like this one in Najera.

Attachments

• 577EDA96-54CF-4871-8C0B-B8DCF839B0B6.jpeg
    577EDA96-54CF-4871-8C0B-B8DCF839B0B6.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 14
  • F57A3C60-9444-41B8-A00C-703BA2108C81.jpeg
    F57A3C60-9444-41B8-A00C-703BA2108C81.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 12
  • A70F9F43-FE71-43A1-86BF-172672A3EC45.jpeg
    A70F9F43-FE71-43A1-86BF-172672A3EC45.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 14
Zero privacy in the Municipal Albergue in Morille. None of the female pilgrims took a shower.
I’d say it’s certainly rare to find an albergue where a modest pilgrim would not feel comfortable showering. The vast majority looks something like this one in Najera.

I have been on a half dozen Caminos and never really saw a problem . The only times that were questionable was back prior to 2005. A lot has been upgraded since

When we weren't crowded, we would try to assign bunk rooms by gender. Showers had doors and each had two rooms, one for changing and one for washing. But one day someone complained that German males were stripping in the bunk rooms and when confronted about doing so in front of female teenagers, retorted "nothing she hasn't seen before." Manager went up and spoke to them.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back