• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Private accommodation in O Cebreiro?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Annie,

Be sure to check out the comments on O Cebreiro spots in these two earlier Forum threads on accommodation and hostels-hotels.

Adjacent to the church the original pilgrim refuge which was later called the San Giraldo de Aurillac is now the Hotel Cebreiro. This is run by the family of the late Don Elias Valina Sampedro, the local priest who mid twentieth century renovated the idea of the Camino and painted the first yellow arrows which we pilgrims now follow. He is buried in the church cemetery. The Valina family also run a separate bar/restaurant near the church and serve a very good menu de dia. Above that bar are additional guest rooms with baths. ...On an earlier camino I was VERY ill when staggering up to O Cebreiro and into their bar. Luckily a room was available and I happily spent two nights in clean, cozy HEATED comfort. What bliss!

Margaret

We too stayed in that hotel on our last camino. Very nice. My favourite though is Venta Celta. They have a restaurant but the rooms are in a separate house, right opposite the road with the view on the mountains. We pilgrims had the whole house, with a lovely sitting room, very pleasant.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
We too stayed in that hotel on our last camino. Very nice. My favourite though is Venta Celta. They have a restaurant but the rooms are in a separate house, right opposite the road with the view on the mountains. We pilgrims had the whole house, with a lovely sitting room, very pleasant.

I've also stayed at both the hotel next to the church and the Venta Celta, but it was years ago. At that time, anyway, the Venta Celta also had rooms above the restaurant, so there may be a larger number of rooms (Annie, are you looking for your group?). The rooms at the hotel are fine, but the walls are very thin and you can hear everything going on in all directions (at least that was the case at the time).

The last time I was at the Venta Celta was probably 2005, and at that time they had what I thought was a fabulous meal set-up, I still remember the details -- caldo gallego, followed by tortilla espanola and a huge wonderful salad, topped off with a dessert of queijo O Cebreiro with local honey. It was heaven. I'm hoping that they still do something like that, because it was simple, homemade with high quality ingredients and nourishing. But it's been a long time, and I know things change. Laurie

We stayed at the Casa Carolo last September . It was a very nice place especially considering the 30k we put in that day. It has a bar and restaurant with a separate building with private lodging. The pilgrim meal is served upstairs in their restaurant and it was very good.

Jack

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Oh you star, peregrina2000! And I just wanted to say, yes, I remember I had the BEST caldo gallego in their restaurant , the meal was wonderful , I nearly mentioned it but then again, I thought maybe it was just me :) try and book early Annie santiago, this year it was full. (Mind you it was in August!).

[
The last time I was at the Venta Celta was probably 2005, and at that time they had what I thought was a fabulous meal set-up, I still remember the details -- caldo gallego, followed by tortilla espanola and a huge wonderful salad, topped off with a dessert of queijo O Cebreiro with local honey. It was heaven. I'm hoping that they still do something like that, because it was simple, homemade with high quality ingredients and nourishing. But it's been a long time, and I know things change. Laurie[/quote]

You were lucky to find a good caldo gallego in a restaurant, what's not easy.
As I consider you high standard travellers, I dare to correct that particular mistake.
Queijo is portuguese. The gallego word for cheese is queixo. These words have also different pronounciations. The "j" in queijo sounds more or less like "G"" in Geography, whereas the "x" in queixo sounds exactly the same as "SH" in Shirt.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Oh be like that then! I speak Castellano spanish fluently (or used to) but struggle in Galicia (and other places) lol! I have never managed to pronounce the x correctly so thank you! :)

You were lucky to find a good caldo gallego in a restaurant, what's not easy.
As I consider you high standard travellers, I dare to correct that particular mistake.
Queijo is portuguese. The gallego word for cheese is queixo. These words have also different pronounciations. The "j" in queijo sounds more or less like "G"" in Geography, whereas the "x" in queixo sounds exactly the same as "SH" in Shirt.

Depends on where you are I guess.
My family is Portuguese and we pronounce queijo more like "kay'-zhu"
The "zhu" doesn't sound anything like "geography" but is much softer.
Here is a link where you can listen to the pronunciation both from Portugal and Brazil.
http://www.forvo.com/word/pão_de_queijo/

This link allows you to hear the word in Portuguese and in Galicia, but spelled queixo in both places:

http://www.forvo.com/search/queixo/gl/

I've noticed a HUGE similarity in both the food and the language between Portugal and Galicia. We call the Caldo Verde "querves" which is the word for "kale." It almost sounds like "kwayvsh" and can be 1 or 2 syllables, depending on locality. It is basically the same yummy soup though it can sometimes be made vegetarian or be made with different types of meat.

Last edited:
Domigee

The sound "SH" doesn't exist in Spanish. As an anecdote it is funny to hear the pronunciation of the CC.OO leader Ignacio F. TOXO (who is from Ferrol) on the media here in Madrid. Most times you can hear TOSO, TOKSO, TOCHO or even TOJO and a few times the correct pronunciation TOSHO.

Annisantiago:

Yes, I said more or less Geography. I couldn´t find the right sound as you did. In food i agree that we have a lot of similarities, but cod is much less important in Galicia.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Highly second the O'Cebreiro Hotel next to the church.

Yes, I said more or less Geography. I couldn´t find the right sound as you did. In food i agree that we have a lot of similarities, but cod is much less important in Galicia.

That's true!
We have 365 ways to cook bacalau!
Poached, stewed, fried, baked or grilled, I can eat it all day!
:p:)

Funny story about cod. On my Camino in 2012, I went to an open market in a village and surprise of all surprises, there was a stall selling salted cod. I picked up a few pieces and handed them to the vendor. He shook his head vigorously, and said, "No! No! NO GOOD eating!" I replied, "Yes! Yes! I want it!" He said, "No good to eat, salty!" I laughed and said in my poor Spanish, "Yes! Salty, and I know how to cook it!" He continued to argue quite vigorously, but I stood my ground.

Finally, he gave up and sold me the cod.

When I got to the albergue, I put it in a bowl to soak for a few hours, changing the water maybe twice. Then I poached it. I cooked it up that night with a sauce made of fresh tomatoes, onions, and garlic. The pilgrims were all salivating and saying 'Oh! That smells so good!" I shared what I could and wished I'd bought more.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back