• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Private Accommodation you would not miss

GuyA

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi,

Similar to a great posting on Albergues one should not miss I would be interested in hearing about private accommodation i.e. hotels, B&B type that you thought was great...and why.

Thanks for sharing

Guy

This thread is copied from the original in Miscellaneous Topics covering all routes which is still there.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hotel Hostal dos Reis Catolicos

Great breakfast buffet, and central to Santiago.

The rooms upstairs at La Taberna, Castrojeriz. We stayed there twice. The second time they came out and hugged us goodbye.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hostal El Peregrino in El Burgo Ranero. Family run establishment, also a very nice restaurant. Paid 20 € for my own spotless clean bedroom with private toilet and shower. They have four computers for public access. Was there on a sunday and loved the atmosphere : men playing cards, people chatting and children playing.
http://www.infohostal.com/guia/leon/el- ... grino.html

Hotel as Artes
Traversia de Dos Puertas 2,
15707 Santiago de Compostela.

About 100M from the Cathedral. The staff are wonderful, the breakfasts sumptuous, and the rooms luxurious. A wonderful treat after a long camino!

I'll second the Hotel as Artes in Compostela! I've there twice and found the atmosphere much nicer than the overated, to me anyway, Hostel dos Reis Catolicos Parador.

One Parador I feel should not be missed is the Hostal San Marcos in Leon. This is a much nicer set-up than the Santiago de Compostela Parador, staff are far more informative and caring and, even if your room is in the newish annex out the back, you still have the run of the hotel itself including the cloisters. To anyone who might stay there, make your way to the library on the first floor of the cloister and find the little glass door that opens on to the church next door. Step through it and you'll find yourself on a tiny balcony overlooking the body of the church.

I also liked the Meson el Cid in Burgos. This hotel is opposite the west door of Burgos Cathedral, so rooms at the front have a spectacular view day or night. Rooms at the back are quieter and look towards the Meseta.

Trudy

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
In Fromista facing the church at 2 plaza San Martin, the Pension Marisa is a simple oasis. Very clean with good food it is where the city workers eat at mid-day. Main meal, breakfast and a heated private room for 30 euros. The toilet/shower is on the landing. Tel. 979 81 00 23. Have stayed there 5 times during 6 Caminos and it was always a pleasure. The three women who run it are a delight.

I've stayed at Meson el Cid in Burgos & recommend it. Not cheap, but worth it. I also recommend the Hotel Portales in Logrono, right outside the wall leading from the old part of town, directly on the Camino. Again, not cheap, but has (or had when I was there) free internet & computers in the lobby for guest use.

A cheaper option in Leon than the San Marcos is the Hostal Albany. It's more like a hotel than a hostal, since you have your own room & bath. TV too, but only Spanish channels.

Kelly

I've taken private accommodation of the cheap sort along most of the Way from Le Puy. Most of it was good, though probably more affordable because of the time of year. (I'm a cool season walker.)

Some places stand out, largely because of the hosts or staff.

The best room and facilities would have to be that new hotel at Roncesvalles.

Pension Usoa at Zubiri has a high rep among pilgrims, and deserves it.

The Hotel Villa de Cacabelos advertises heavily for pilgrim business. There's no catch: Margarita and staff are charming, the prices are a nice surprise considering it's such a new and well appointed hotel.

The Hostal Burbia in Villafranca is a family business of the best kind. (Overall, I felt that people in the Bierzo region were a stand-out, proud and conscientious.)

The Hotel Xaneiro in Melide was plain, cheap but staffed by very considerate owners.

The Hotel Avenida in Santiago is old and plain, but fanatically cleaned and maintained. Big difference in the off-season price,

Further back in France, The Tour des Chapelains B&B at Saint-Chely is almost a must.

Of course, much fine accommodation in albergues and gites (where one can often negotiate an individual room), but those are some of the hotels and pensions I remember fondly. It's a pleasure to be able to send a bit of business in their direction. Good hospitality and service can be found in a five star hotel, or a five euro albergue. It comes down to the people.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If I only could afford to stay at a hotel instead of an albergue for one night, I would choose to stay at the Hotel Akarreta 0,5km after Larresoaña, a nice little rural hotel with good food, instead of a very basic refugio in Larresoaña.
La Posada in Roncesvalles was wonderful after a heavy raining and windy day over the mountain in Sept.-09, but today I would try the new albergue.
Albergue Juvenil in Estella, a bit more expensive than the refugios, but with exellent sexsegregated bathrooms, garden,lots of space in and out. Got my own room with a key every time I have stayed there.
Burgos: Always stay at Hotel España, very central, cheap and clean.
Hornillos: Stayed once at a nice casa rural: De Sol a Sol
Foncebadon: Have never stayed at the albergues here, but three times at Hostal El Convento de Foncebadon, rooms with beautiful views. This is a place that have change a lot since my first walk through when there were nearly only ruins. When I stayed there in June a new refugio in a new built or restored house had opened the day before.
Could have mentioned a lot more, but the one i defenitely would not miss is the Hotel Akkareta.
ranthr

Hotel Casa de beneficiados in Roncesvalles was amazingly comfortable. The room I had was more like a small apartment, absolutely fantastic.

I think private accommodation is a best option to stay during any trip. Its also affordable & convenient. I always book accommodation for trip in advance. Now i am also planning a trip for Columbia this time.

Moderator Note: Links removed as no connection to Camino Frances. Reminder that commercial posting is not allowed under the Terms of Use of the forum.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Private accommodation is unfortunately not affordable for all of us, at least not every night. For me it is an occasional special treat along the Camino.
Sandra :arrow:

I actually find it quite reassuring that it's deemed 'OK' to stay in hotels and B&Bs. I intend to. Albergues are doubtless wonderful in many ways, but this is 2012, not 1012, and I'm expecting my accommodation to be a combination of sleeping out, albergues and B&Bs in roughly equal proportions.

If I'm especially knackered, and could really use a long hot shower and a good nights sleep, then I shall get those things. I can't afford it of course, but the expense will be forgotten this time next year.

On the Caminho Portuguese....between Barcelos and Ponte de Lima is the Casa da Dona Fernanda. It's about 12 KM from the Albergue Casa de Ricoleta. The bunk house is modern, single beds, two well appointed bathroom/showers. Depending on when you arrive, you may get a great lunch, Supper and a fantastic breakfast. All donativo.

The family is fantastic, the food...out of this world and all the homemade vino you can drink, beer too.

Don't miss this jewel on the CP.

Arn

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Arn said:
On the Caminho Portuguese....between Barcelos and Ponte de Lima is the Casa da Dona Fernanda. It's about 12 KM from the Albergue Casa de Ricoleta. The bunk house is modern, single beds, two well appointed bathroom/showers. Depending on when you arrive, you may get a great lunch, Supper and a fantastic breakfast. All donativo.

The family is fantastic, the food...out of this world

Don't miss this jewel on the CP.

Arn

Yes! Privately run but feels very homely.

Arn said:
and all the homemade vino you can drink, beer too

I was just ahead of you, they had aguardente when I was there but Fernanda kept topping up my glass it would have been rude to refuse.

antelope said:
I actually find it quite reassuring that it's deemed 'OK' to stay in hotels and B&Bs.

Perfectly OK in my opinion. The compromise is to share a private room with one or two of the people you've been walking with so you have a bit more privacy than an albergue and don't have to face a scramble for showers etc.

Mike mentioned
[aguardente/quote] at the Casa Fernanda.

Although I didn't have any there...oh, for those not familiar with "aguardente"...it's home brew whisky, er, firewater!

I did have some with JW after I arrived in SDC last October. It wasn't until the next morning that I realized it comes in different colors...for a second there, I thought I was seeing things.

Buen "I really like the pastel green color" Camino

Arn

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Loved Casa Fernanda and the wonderful welcome we received there. Hotel Akaretta was very welcome when we couldn"t get into albergues in Zubiri or Larrasaona. It was extremely relaxing to lay in a bath and look out over the valley. The young couple running the Hotel were helpful and the dinner was delicious.
Sharon

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back