• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Private Accommodation

Skinnybiker

The Skinny Biker in Spain
Time of past OR future Camino
Norte, Frances, Torres, Portuguese all by bike
In the bicycle touring world there is an organisation called Warmshowers whereby hosts provide free accommodation, a cold beer, a warm shower etc for touring cyclists. So is there an equivalent set-up in the peregrino / long-distance hiking world? Just wondering, that's all. Richard the Skinnybiker.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
In France is the French donativo
Chaîne d'Hospitalité Locale

Those who offer such hospitality do so for the pleasure of meeting/greeting pilgrims as well as helping them find their way. Local tourist offices often have current lists of Chaine members.

In the years I walked my husband and I ran a b&b/pilgrim house in our farmhouse along the Marne river as part of the local Chaine. My first pilgrim shell hung at the door marking it as a pilgrim place.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Low cost albergues in the Camino fulfill that need.
Even the lowest cost albergues do not offer free accommmodation, cold beer and warm showers.

I imagine @Skinnybiker is inquiring about a cycling-centric network completely apart from the pilgrim one. Such a thing does exist but I imagine that in any camino adjacent area the offerings will be slim due to overuse.

Not aware of a similar association in Spain, but I cycled the Frances in 2015 and had no trouble getting accommodation even in donativo albegues. I would usually ride 35-45 km per day (about two stages) so most hospitaleros would recognise that I was a genuine pilgrim. Most establishments also provide secure off - street parking for the bike.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Gracias a todos, discounting the Couch surfing website there seems to be nothing else equivalent to Warmshowers. However I am appreciating more and more the services provided by the albergues, generally they are very good and good value for money. FYI I am a Warmshower host (Cadiz province) if any of you bicigrinos are ever down that way. Right now I'm on the Camino de Torres (riding south) and have found some good hostels but few albergues. Buen Camino, El Ciclista Flaco.

There's "welcome to my garden". It's fairly recent, and has a few spots. There are some warmshowers hosts in various cities in Spain, some along the camino routes

Most read last week in this forum

Ivan. I believe I can rent two bikes through you between Burgos and Leon. Can you let me know if this is possible? I plan to arrive in Burgos on 11 May and start cycling the next day. Thanks
Plan to cycle between Burgos and Leon over three or four days. Are there any interesting detours between these two cities that would take up a 4th day?

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back