• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Private accommodations vs. private rooms in albergues

lbpierce

Linda Breen Pierce
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
I am planning a slowish (40 days) camino from Roncevalles to Santiago in May, 2013. I have been thinking about doing primarily private accommodations, but it seems from my recent research, they seem to be average about 40 Euros a night for a single, which is obviously pretty expensive when multiplied by 40. How likely is it that I might find other singles who might be interested in sharing a double room with me, which brings the cost down to about 25 Euros a night?

I would also like to explore the possibility of albergues with private rooms. First, are there any good directories or lists that indicate whether a particular albergue has private rooms? Second, do the private rooms generally have locks -- the thought of bringing my valuables into a shower with me doesn't excite me too much :)?

Thank you all for your time and patience with us newbies.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It's possible to find private nice rooms for 25-30€, with or without a private bathroom. Sometimes with a small breakfast included, sometimes with washing your clothes included.
Some examples: Navarette, LeĂłn, Carrion de los Condes, Melide, Pedrouzo (Arco o Pino), Santiago. Those are all places where there is a lot of competition, you will see a lot of billboards with nice prices and even people are waiting at the entrance of the city trying to invite you in their hotel or hostal. If you meet someone, always ask the price first.
You will not find good prices in for example Santo Domingo d/l Calzada and PortomarĂ­n there is not so much competition. La Rioja is a rich region, so prices are higher then for example Galicia.
There aren't a lot of albergues offering private rooms.
If you search in the older topics, there are lists with prices.
In hotels and hostals, you will always receive a key of your room. If you don't receive the key of the general entrance door, ask if there is a closing time.
Buen camino,

Hi Linda
On my walks I met many people mostly female who "coupled" up sometimes in groups of 2 3 or 4 to take advantage of the many twinned bed places in private hotels,bb's private Albergues and even some municiple Albergues-also a lot of unlicence places,not a lot of these places are online but most guides will have some listed.
because thousands walk this way every year every village-town city is so geared up to accommodate pilgrims whatever there needs,it seems every tree has a flyer attached-every waymark -cars patrol outside most towns handing out flyers and sweets offering that special price for pilgrims-most Abergues have notice boards advertising that one special place,I walked with one german friend (best guide books) who used to collect all these flyers (litter) and deliver them torn up and deposited back at their owners place.
with your command of Spanish you will have no problem finding single double triple beds-the least of your problems will be a bed for the night.
please forgive my next thoughts,they are not intended to offend but i googled your books and lectures on "Choosing Simplicity" and am having problems understanding your posts on needing Private places with locks guarding your valuables while using your Kindle Fire with your great lectures on Simplicity.
when I first walked the Camino I overplanned everything,its in my nature but soon discovered that the Camino is the very essence of Simplicity-we walk we eat we sleep,thats it really :)
Buen Camino for next year
Ian

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi!

Yes, once you've met your walking buddies a shared private room is a great option, in my experience. We probably did it about half of the time on my last Camino Frances. With 3 of us the cost was usually less than 20 euros, and sometimes not much more than an albergue.

It's relatively rare to find private rooms without en suite facilities.

Buen Camino!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Single rooms can cost between 50% and 75% more pp than sharing a double - especially if they have a single person in a double room. As an example, these are just three places I've booked for the amaWalkers Camino groups next year.

Roncesvalles Double €60.50 +10%vat = €66.55 (€33.28 per person)
La Posada Single €55.00 + 10% vat = €60.50 ( 55% more)

Pamplona Double €52 (€26 pp)
Pension Sarasate Single €42 (61% more)

Puente la Reina Double €36 (€18 pp)
Hostal Jakue Single €36 (50% more)

Many private albergues offer a few private rooms but they are not cheaper than pensiones or hostales.

You can check some of them out here :
http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/los ... o/frances/

Hola Linda,
If you are walking in May many places may still be charging as 'low season'. High season prices come in from June 1st.
There is often quite a difference between the high and low rates, and by law they are advertised in the hotel, so you can check them out before booking in. Some also offer a pilgrim rate. It is also worth checking out booking sites such as 'venere.com' etc, to gain an idea of prices around the time you are walking but without actually making a booking. We found some good private albergues with 'habitaciones' beyond Palas de Rei but have no personal experience further east on the Francés.
Buen Camino

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thank you all for your helpful responses. It seems that the hostals/hotels you find on the Internet are often priced higher than what you might find advertised more informally, e.g., flyers, etc. Ian, no offense taken at your question. I will send you a PM about my thoughts on simplicity and staying in private accommodations, etc.

lbpierce said:
......... It seems that the hostals/hotels you find on the Internet are often priced higher than what you might find advertised more informally, e.g., flyers, etc. .....
Very true. I only suggested this as a rough guide. However it does help if you want an occasional night of greater comfort, or a two night stay where accomodation is limited. The on-line prices are usually (but not always) lower than just booking in.
Flyers along the route are good and also there are folk handing out cards etc; not always including the price or distance off the Camino. :cry:

In Vega de Valcarce Pension Fernandez : 15 € for a single room, shared bathroom, no breakfast.
http://www.vegadevalcarce.net/aloja_amp.php?id=9
El Burgo Ranero : single room with en suite bathroom in Hostal El Peregrino : 20 €.
Hostal El Juli in San Justo de la Vega : single with en suite bathroom : 30 €.
http://www.hostaljuli.com/
Thr most expensive for me was 35 € in O Pedrouzo... : 35 €.
http://pensionarca.blogspot.be/
But I saw lots of people sharing a triple...

This was in may/april 2011.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
SabineP said:

This was also our most expensive place due to the fact that the Municipal was full. However, that said, it was still "only" 15 euros per person (we had become used to spending 5 euros by that stage!)

Kiwi-family said:
SabineP said:

This was also our most expensive place due to the fact that the Municipal was full. However, that said, it was still "only" 15 euros per person (we had become used to spending 5 euros by that stage!)

But it was a very nice place and lovely owners!!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back