• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

private hostel in santiago

Dawn of a new Day

ivar,

dawn here from Canada, been walking for 4 weeks now, with an amazing journey, and perfect weather!!!! man it has been hot.
i hear there is a private albergue in santiago , can you tell me where it is, or is it better to stay in a cheap pension, i would like to be close to the cathedral. only one more week to walk, oh NO, i have more time so will walk to finisterre and muxia. just can´t stop. thanks for your help and for those that haven´t started. it has been one of the best trips i have taken. more when i get home on the 26th june.
dawn

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Dear Dawn
I was so happy to see your message, having read through all your planning messages, to hear that all has gone so well is really lovely. Writing this from a chilly winter day in Sydney Australia, what a beautiful link this is all around the world. With my very best wishes for the rest of your trip (and beyond).
Magnara

Private refuge in Santiago

Well done Dawn!! You will have to let us know if there was anything you took that you didn't need - or anything that you might have taken that you did not.
The main Refuge in Santiago is outside the old city and I don't know if there are any private albergues. There are reasonable hotels though. Hospedaje Santa Cruz in Rua do Vilar charges E15 for single. You can find the owner at Rua do Vilar 80 in the deli.
Hospedaje Noya at Rua do Vilar 13-1 charges E23. Can't get much cheaper than that and they are right in the centre of the old city.
Let us know when you expect to arrive in the Plaza Obradoiro and you can wave to us all from the webcams!
Big hug,

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Dawn!

I am happy to hear that things are going well. Yes, the heat.... ahh... for a guy from Norway it is .... warm. They say it will cool down a bit in the next few days.

I would suggest getting a place in old town like Sillydoll suggested. She mentioned a few places... I could add (my favorite) Hostal Suso (the reception is on Cafe Suso at the end of rua Vilar (30-something euro for a room. But they only have 5 or 6 rooms so it might be sold out.).

Some other suggestions:
http://www.campanasdesanjuan.com/
http://www.hotelreal.com/

...and these.. a bit more pricy I think..
http://www.bookings.org/hotel/es/sinosa ... id=306118;
http://www.bookings.org/hotel/es/sino-a ... aid=306118
(for the last two links, make sure to read the "User Reviews")

Welcome to Santiago!!!

Ivar

Hi Dawn of a new Day!!

Great to hear from you - you must be feeling elated to be on the home stretch, the journey is all wonderful though.

As a coincidence i shall be in Santiago for a return visit on the 16th - 18th for the weekend - I shall keep my eyes and ears open for a Canadian accent!

If you are there look out for a 40 something tall Irishman and thats me...

I hope the camera worked out well for you!

Take care and enjoy the road...

Hanleyman

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back