• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Private Room Roncesvalles

BoodleBug

Time of past OR future Camino
French 2019
Hey everyone. New here! I'd love to be able to do the "real" pilgrim thing and stay in dorms but I wouldn't get a wink of sleep so I need to find budget accommodation along the way that provides private rooms. Any suggestions for Roncesvalles? Or any of the other stages for that matter. As close to the centre as possible would be an added bonus! ;-) TIA

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Welcome to the forum @BoodleBug
Www.gronze.com is your best source of accommodation information. Don’t worry that it’s in Spanish- google chrome will provide instant translation, though the Spanish is easy to follow. Roncevalles doesn’t really have a centre other than the monastery, there’s a few houses and a couple of hotels. You won’t get lost

Roncevalles doesn’t really have a centre other than the monastery, there’s a few houses and a couple of hotels. You won’t get lost

:) That's for sure. In America, Roncesvalles would be described as a 'wide spot on the road'. I did a quick search for population figures for Roncesvalles, and the 2018 Municipal Register of Spain lists only 21 permanent residents.

Besides the lodgings in Roncesvalles, you can also check on availability in Burgete which is just a few kilometers down the road.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
In the albergue we don't have private rooms. Your only options are Hotel Roncesvalles or the rooms above restaurant La Posada. Costs € 75,00 for a 2-persons bedroom. So if you find a 'Camino-friend' on your way to Roncesvalles to share the room with you can split the costs.
In Burguete you can find a few Casa Rurals with private rooms at lower prices.

Hey everyone. New here! I'd love to be able to do the "real" pilgrim thing and stay in dorms but I wouldn't get a wink of sleep so I need to find budget accommodation along the way that provides private rooms. Any suggestions for Roncesvalles? Or any of the other stages for that matter. As close to the centre as possible would be an added bonus! ;-) TIA

The 'town' of Roncesvalles ;)

Roncesvalles is very limited in terms of 'budget' private rooms. 4 places. None are really 'budget'.
See booking.com and gronze.

After Roncesvalles you'll have many more options. What is 'budget' in your mind? e25, e50, e100?

I have found staying in CR (Casa Rural) and using private rooms on Albergues I can usually find a room for e25 - e40. In the large towns it might need to be more though.

I use a combination of booking.com, Gronze and the French Guide Book Miam Miam Dodo.

Attachments

• Gronze.jpg
    Gronze.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 15
Last year we did dorms for the first 14 nights or so and just found it difficult to sleep ( hey - if the guy who sat up from 3 am until 6am browsing his photos on his phone, oblivious to also lighting up the whole bloody room, happens to be reading this....thank you ......for helping us decide that a double albergue room was right for us. ) Sorry for my spillage. 🤦🏼‍♀️ Anyhow, double albergue rooms were readily available between 24-40 euros, and, for us, the privacy definitely aided sleep. However I was a little sad about missing out on the good aspects of dorms too. Buen Camino.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I suggest you get yourself one of the guidebooks, current edition. They show all types of accommodation in them.

The 'town' of Roncesvalles ;)

View attachment 60029

Roncesvalles is very limited in terms of 'budget' private rooms. 4 places. None are really 'budget'.
See booking.com and gronze.

After Roncesvalles you'll have many more options. What is 'budget' in your mind? e25, e50, e100?

I have found staying in CR (Casa Rural) and using private rooms on Albergues I can usually find a room for e25 - e40. In the large towns it might need to be more though.

I use a combination of booking.com, Gronze and the French Guide Book Miam Miam Dodo.

View attachment 60028
This is great! Thanks @Robo :) Did you book much in advance? I'm planning on doing the Camino either in September this year or May next year.

Last year we did dorms for the first 14 nights or so and just found it difficult to sleep ( hey - if the guy who sat up from 3 am until 6am browsing his photos on his phone, oblivious to also lighting up the whole bloody room, happens to be reading this....thank you ......for helping us decide that a double albergue room was right for us. ) Sorry for my spillage. 🤦🏼‍♀️ Anyhow, double albergue rooms were readily available between 24-40 euros, and, for us, the privacy definitely aided sleep. However I was a little sad about missing out on the good aspects of dorms too. Buen Camino.
Thanks @Shazenalan Yes as a lifelong insomniac I wouldn't be able for 3am lights, talking, snoring or even just the average tossing and turning. I could hear a mouse with slippers tiptoeing on carpet!! 😂😅Did you just arrive in the towns and find the rooms on the day or did you have to book in advance?

In the albergue we don't have private rooms. Your only options are Hotel Roncesvalles or the rooms above restaurant La Posada. Costs € 75,00 for a 2-persons bedroom. So if you find a 'Camino-friend' on your way to Roncesvalles to share the room with you can split the costs.
In Burguete you can find a few Casa Rurals with private rooms at lower prices.
Thank you :) @laninam

:) That's for sure. In America, Roncesvalles would be described as a 'wide spot on the road'. I did a quick search for population figures for Roncesvalles, and the 2018 Municipal Register of Spain lists only 21 permanent residents.

Besides the lodgings in Roncesvalles, you can also check on availability in Burgete which is just a few kilometers down the road.
Thanks @davebugg but after that long first day I think "just a few kilometres" will feel like a marathon! 😅

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Welcome to the forum @BoodleBug
Www.gronze.com is your best source of accommodation information. Don’t worry that it’s in Spanish- google chrome will provide instant translation, though the Spanish is easy to follow. Roncevalles doesn’t really have a centre other than the monastery, there’s a few houses and a couple of hotels. You won’t get lost
That's for the welcome @Tincatinker I am very excited about my first Camino! Thanks for the info. I speak a bit of Spanish so I should be able to understand the important bits! 😉

This is great! Thanks @Robo :) Did you book much in advance? I'm planning on doing the Camino either in September this year or May next year.
Hi @BoodleBug

Just a quick note before @Robo gets here. I'm also planning in walking in September this year and have been looking at how busy it might be. Going on previous years there's a MASSIVE difference between the start and end of the month. In recent years the first week in September has been the busiest of the entire year for people setting out from SJPdP but by the last week in September numbers have pretty much halved from week 1.

Of course chances of hitting bad weather go up but I think it's a risk I'm ready to take to not have to worry about booking ahead.

Buen Camino,

Rob.

Thanks @davebugg but after that long first day I think "just a few kilometres" will feel like a marathon! 😅

Take a taxi from Roncesvalles to Burgete to spend the night. Then the next morning, taxi back to Roncesvalles to continue your walk where you left off.. Lot's of pilgrims have done the same

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi @BoodleBug

Just a quick note before @Robo gets here. I'm also planning in walking in September this year and have been looking at how busy it might be. Going on previous years there's a MASSIVE difference between the start and end of the month. In recent years the first week in September has been the busiest of the entire year for people setting out from SJPdP but by the last week in September numbers have pretty much halved from week 1.

Of course chances of hitting bad weather go up but I think it's a risk I'm ready to take to not have to worry about booking ahead.

Buen Camino,

Rob.
Thanks so much! That's really helped me make my decision. Think I'll wait till next May. :)

Take a taxi from Roncesvalles to Burgete to spend the night. Then the next morning, taxi back to Roncesvalles to continue your walk where you left off.. Lot's of pilgrims have done the same
Oooh that sounds like a good option! Thanks :)

Thanks so much! That's really helped me make my decision. Think I'll wait till next May. :)

@Kathar1na kindly posted this graph yesterday which shows numbers departing from St Jean in 2017, very helpful.

As you can see week 36 is the busiest, that's the first week in September roughly but by the week after that number is very similar to those throughout May.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The Hotel Roncesvalles was wonderful after a long first day. Great pilgrim menu for dinner and breakfast and they also do your laundry.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Oooh that sounds like a good option! Thanks :)
Not to contradict, but Burguete is only about 3 km's from Roncesvalles. It is an easy, flat walk. In the philosophy I have of never going backwards on the Camino, I suggest taking a break in Roncesvalles and continue on to Burguete if you decide to stay there. It is a lovely, little quiet and quaint town.

Despite where you stay, you ARE a pilgrim.

The hotel is wonderful.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks @Shazenalan Yes as a lifelong insomniac I wouldn't be able for 3am lights, talking, snoring or even just the average tossing and turning. I could hear a mouse with slippers tiptoeing on carpet!! 😂😅Did you just arrive in the towns and find the rooms on the day or did you have to book in advance?
We booked ahead using the Trailsmart app which we found very helpful. We liked the ease of walking at our pace without the growing fear that all the beds were gone. Last Sept we walked in 28-30 degrees, frankly I’d have sobbed on some days if Id had to walk another 5 miles to find a bed. That said, this year we are travelling lighter and plan to avoid the Bristly stages.....

We walked the Francis, The Francegina and plan on The Norte in August. We have only stayed in private rooms and Hotels and use Booking.com as we walk. I got my share of the communal accommodations to last a lifetime while I was in the military.
We like to think that we are freeing up Albergue space for those who want the experience.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Casa Sabina in Roncesvalles
Carretera de Francia S/N 31650 I think you can find them on line or call 34 948 790 322. There are only a few places to stay that offer private rooms so definitely make an advance reservation. The Txantxorena in Zubiri is a lovely, renovated 17th century manor house if you want to treat yourself to a delightful stay the next day. She’s on Booking.com.
Have fun!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
We walked the Francis, The Francegina and plan on The Norte in August. We have only stayed in private rooms and Hotels and use Booking.com as we walk. I got my share of the communal accommodations to last a lifetime while I was in the military.
We like to think that we are freeing up Albergue space for those who want the experience.
That's a great way of looking at it! Yes I've done plenty of backpacking and I've had my fill of dorms to last a lifetime! :-D

€60,-
In the next village a little bit beyond Roncesvalles there is a place that does rural tourism casa Rural. Can’t remember the name

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi

Can you suggest any accomodation in Burgete. I will be doing my first camino in 2020 solo so would appreciate any advice. :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Casa Sabina in Roncesvalles was fun and the location was perfect.
A good guide book will list places to stay in every stage.

These days, having difficulty sleeping also, I book ahead as much as possible. Having walked the Frances so many times, I have a good idea of how far I can walk and where I want to stay. I use booking.com for many of my rooms, and have private emails for the one's I have stayed in for years and have relationships with. My advice is to figure out how far you want to walk each day, make a plan, then get on booking.com right away as lodgings are already filling up in many places. I also suggest booking rooms that have free cancellation, in case your plans change.

I booked in advance - mostly using Book.com. We used Camino Facil to transport bags. They’re easy to communicate with using WhatsApp and also provide taxi dispatch. Highly recommend using a Spanish SIM card so you can always have service when there’s no WiFi

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.