• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Private rooms in Madrid?

crbonade

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Primitivo (2022)
Does anyone have any recommendations for places to stay in Madrid where one might get a private room that won't break the bank?

My mother and I are finishing our Primitivo in a couple of days, and I'm realizing that the enforced closeness with another person in a double room for two weeks is really, really wearing on me - I'm a huge introvert and I've been out on my own for 17 years now, so I'm in desperate need of some privacy to reflect/decompress/prepare for my return back to work our last couple of days in Spain. The hotel that I already had booked with points has no more rooms available though, so I've got to search for a new spot.

I'd prefer not to spend hundreds of euro if I can avoid it, so hoping someone has some good recommendations for places with (multiple) private rooms on the less expensive side.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I guess I should add, we'll arrive by train from SdC on the afternoon of the 22nd, and depart by plane on the 24th. We'll be doing the multi-day metro cards, so although a place near-ish to the city center would be preferred it's not strictly necessary

I always stay at the Soho Boutique Opera hotel in the centre…..reasonably priced, small, well located and great rooms…..avail through Booking and direct. Good luck !

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I always stay at the Soho Boutique Opera hotel in the centre…..reasonably priced, small, well located and great rooms…..avail through Booking and direct. Good luck !
Popping up as over $1k on booking.com 😩

A lot of places I'm looking at initially are sold out, might be a bad time to be trying to make a reservation 😕

Try Hostal Major in Sol. They’re often booked up; but it’s worth a try.
Booked up, same thing I'm seeing from a lot of the hostals. I wonder if there's something big going on that week, I was seeing a lot of places booked up even when I initially looked several months ago 🤔

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We have had great success with Airbnb, $56 to $60 dollars for an apt. Near pubertal del sol and very near plaza mayor

Does anyone have any recommendations for places to stay in Madrid where one might get a private room that won't break the bank?

My mother and I are finishing our Primitivo in a couple of days, and I'm realizing that the enforced closeness with another person in a double room for two weeks is really, really wearing on me - I'm a huge introvert and I've been out on my own for 17 years now, so I'm in desperate need of some privacy to reflect/decompress/prepare for my return back to work our last couple of days in Spain. The hotel that I already had booked with points has no more rooms available though, so I've got to search for a new spot.

I'd prefer not to spend hundreds of euro if I can avoid it, so hoping someone has some good recommendations for places with (multiple) private rooms on the less expensive side.
I just did a quick check for the Ibis brand of hotels. I stayed at the one in Irun before my Camino, and it was clean, well-maintained, etc., and I would do it again. looks like a few rooms, priced between $125 and $200/night per room. consider looking direct, rather than booking dot com. https://all.accor.com/

A lot of places I'm looking at initially are sold out, might be a bad time to be trying to make a reservation 😕
If you are looking at booking.com, this is not surprising. They only have access to a few rooms, and when the supply goes down, prices go up. Try contacting places directly, you will have much better luck, I bet.

I know people who walked the Camino de Madrid and liked this place. Nothing fancy about it, but I’m guessing they found it clean or would not have recommended it.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Weird…..I’m staying there for one night in November and it’s just 105.8 euro. I booked on the phone direct with the hotel.

Try Hostal Bruña Paseo del Prado, c/ Moratin, 50, Madrid not far from Prado - but call +34 914 29 47 01 or send email Hostalbruna@ctv.es so you dont get hooked into Booking!! He speaks good, not fluent English, and is very nice! I've stayed there many times, and last Fall - it's not plush, but very clean. Good breakfasts across the street!

You could try ‘sleep’n Atocha’; it’s a marvel of miniaturisation. I wouldn’t recommend it other than as a last resort.

A favourite is Pensión Gonzalo on c. Cervantes.

Are you making direct contact or relying on booking.com? (I see P2K beat me to that)

Direct contact wherever I can!

I did just realize that 22-24 October falls over a weekend, which is probably part of why many places are booked lol. I'll keep trying though, bound to find *something* reasonable!

Thanks everyone for all of your suggestions too 😊

Try Hostal La Macarena. I stayed there when I finished my Camino in May. Nice, clean, cheap, safe. Right around the corner from Plaza Mayor.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I did just realize that 22-24 October falls over a weekend, which is probably part of why many places are booked lol. I'll keep trying though, bound to find *something* reasonable!
It also seems that places are more expensive for that weekend than what I have paid for private rooms in Madrid in the past.

One place that I stayed that was very reasonable was Hostal Delfina. They are completely booked on booking.com, but you can try them by phone or through their website:

I stayed at Hostal Persal for five nights after my Camino this past June and could not have been more pleased. Excellent location right in the center of Madrid, and my room had a balcony overlooking a lively square. (Not the most quiet place I've stayed, but nothing a white noise app on my phone couldn't handle either.) Cost for my very spacious room was less than 100 euro/night. Very highly recommended. (I think @J Walking can back up my recommendation too!)

Last edited:

A glance at this calendar might explain your problem: the Transhumance alone will bring the “bread and circuses” crowds to Madrid, never mind what they’re up to in Lavapies…
There will still be accommodation available just not at bargain prices

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Try Hostal Bruña Paseo del Prado, c/ Moratin, 50, Madrid not far from Prado - but call +34 914 29 47 01 or send email Hostalbruna@ctv.es so you dont get hooked into Booking!! He speaks good, not fluent English, and is very nice! I've stayed there many times, and last Fall - it's not plush, but very clean. Good breakfasts across the street!
Ahhh the Hostal Bruña. They are wonderful people and the place is fine. I think it is a bit inconvenient to the Cercanías and Sol, that’s the only thing. But as you say, it’s great for the Prado!

I have to tell this Bruña story, which I may not have told for at least 5 years, such restraint!

In the early 2000s, my 20 year old son was staying there for a few days before coming home. The night before his departure, he was pickpocketed. He didn’t lose anything but cash, thankfully. But how was he going to get to the airport early in the morning before banks opened? The people in Bruña gave him some cash, probably never thinking they would see it again. I did make sure to send it somehow, along with a note of maternal gratitude! They are very decent people, so I do highly recommend them.

Try Hostal Santa Isabel - an easy walk from Atocha train station and the Anton Martin Metro stop. It’s listed with Booking.com

Sorry I am a bit late seeing this, but for FYI for all, I use airbnb. Got a couple days for 25e/day near Retiro Park and 20 min walk to train station end of May this year. Many similarly priced spots in same area. Last July on the Holy weekend it was 30e/night about 15 minutes walk from city center.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Check Booking.com as I have found this as a great source for finding accommodation in Spain and specifically Madrid. There are many options within an easy walking distance of Atocha station and centre of the city. The Metro subway also makes it possible to stay away from the city center and still travel there quickly.

I stayed at Hostal Persal for five nights after my Camino this past June and could not have been more pleased. Excellent location right in the center of Madrid, and my room had a balcony overlooking a lively square. (Not the most quiet place I've stayed, but nothing a white noise app on my phone couldn't handle either.) Cost for my very spacious room was less than 100 euro/night. Very highly recommended. (I think @J Walking can back up my recommendation too!)

I agree with Senor Jacques . . . Definitely a great place to stay in Madrid

Isn’t it always worth putting a value in terms
of how much you are looking to pay? ‘Reasonable’
means different things to different folks!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I guess I should add, we'll arrive by train from SdC on the afternoon of the 22nd, and depart by plane on the 24th. We'll be doing the multi-day metro cards, so although a place near-ish to the city center would be preferred it's not strictly necessary
I presume you want to be near the hotel you've already booked? If you tell use where it is that might help.

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.