• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Private Rooms on Camino Frances

beerbaron

Time of past OR future Camino
240km in 2011, same again this year
Good afternoon fellow pilgrims,

In August/September this year my wife and I are hoping to walk from St Jean to Logrono. I have completed these stages years ago but would like a little more comfort this time. Is it possible to find private rooms in all of the towns we would stop in? I know that Pamplona and Logrono will be OK but what about Roncevalles and Lassaroana?

Many thanks

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It will be the odd town between SJPP and Logroño in which a private room will not be available. Only a couple times on the CF, in the most out of the way places, did I find it necessary to sleep in a bunkhouse.

The booking.com app was invaluable for securing reservations ahead. Rarely did I reserve a room 24 hrs in advance, it being April and May, and often I was able to secure and confirm a room just minutes ahead.

Rooms with a private bath make lots of sense for a couple. Being able to shower in the morning was a habit for me. I also appreciated that most special of Camino luxuries; a bathtub!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
A fine place to stay in Zubiri is the private albergue El Palo de Avellano located next to the church. Several small traditional stone structures have been nicely converted into the multilevel space. Private rooms are available as well as dorms. They also provide a delicious communal dinner as well as breakfast.

See more here in their web--
http://elpalodeavellano.com/es/el-palo-de-avellano/

Happy planning and Buen camino!

Thank you for all the kind and helpful responses. Had not considered stopping in Zubiri - the last time we walked onto Larrasoana but it was a bit of a dead town so that could be a good idea. The communal dorms in Larrasoana were also very poor standard!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If it’s taking a reservation on booking.com then it’s open. All the Spaniards and Europeans were using Gronze.com. Private Albergues all had a double room. For 2 of us, it was perfect. 40 Euro a night, so 20 each. Sheets, your own shower. Things of beauty...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I've personally found Zubiri much nicer than Larrasoaña. There are several options there for private rooms. As Margaret mentioned, El Palo de Avellano is excellent.

I also stayed at and liked Zubiri. The river running through the village is really nice for swimming or just walking along the bank. We stayed at Albergue Rio Arga Ibaia (first on the left after you cross the bridge), which was a very nice, small private albergue with excellent facilities, although more expensive than most at €15/bed. They have private rooms too for the OP.

Good afternoon fellow pilgrims,

In August/September this year my wife and I are hoping to walk from St Jean to Logrono. I have completed these stages years ago but would like a little more comfort this time. Is it possible to find private rooms in all of the towns we would stop in? I know that Pamplona and Logrono will be OK but what about Roncevalles and Lassaroana?

Many thanks

I don't know whether or not you were planning to stop for a night in Los Arcos on the way to Logrono, but if you are there's an excellent albergue there called Casa de la Abuela (where I stayed for a night) which has a couple of private rooms. Here's some links to the relevant parts of their website:
http://www.casadelaabuela.com/
http://www.casadelaabuela.com/Galeria.html
http://www.casadelaabuela.com/Servicios.html

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have found Booking.com to be extremely helpful for finding accomodations of all kinds during Camino.
We've used booking.com often on 2 caminos, but a warning. Be sure to take a look at their map to see where the place is located. Their definition of what's available in a city is sometimes loose. We once found ourselves with a non-refundable reservation in a place 10 kms. off the Camino), and the owner would not pick us up. After much hassle we got the owner and booking.com to refund us. We eventually found that is was better to use booking to locate an accommodation, and then call them to reserve. We could then cancel if we needed to. On the Frances we were sometimes able to find accommodations in albergues that also had private rooms en suite. They were the best experiences because we could share in the communal meal.

We've used booking.com often on 2 caminos, but a warning. Be sure to take a look at their map to see where the place is located.

Yup. It always lists the distance from the desired location in the initial description, and that's the first thing I look for. I also think that you can set the distance parameters from, say, city center in order to see the closest lodgings in order of distance from set parameter.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
In April 2016 we walked from St. Jean to Burgos and found private rooms at every albergue we stopped at. We did not pre-book anything, but early April is still Camino low season.
August/September is Camino high season so pre-booking is not a bad idea.
Personally I like the flexibility of not pre- booking as we can stop earlier or walk longer depending on how we feel or if we find something of interest.
But for your time line I would pre-book.

We we wandering around Zubiri looking for a place to stay and a lovely little old lady appeared and offered us a nice private room in an apartment for a reasonable 30 euros. You might not want to leave things so much to chance, but...the Camino provides!

We we wandering around Zubiri looking for a place to stay and a lovely little old lady appeared and offered us a nice private room in an apartment for a reasonable 30 euros. You might not want to leave things so much to chance, but...the Camino provides!

I love this story! I mostly stayed in private rooms, as well. Booking.com is excellent.

I remember walking down the mountain from the Cruz de Ferro into Molinaseca. There was a man on the bridge welcoming pilgrims. Turns out I was staying at his place that night. Hotel Casa san Nicolas. Oh wow. One of my most wonderful nights on the Camino. The food was amazing. So welcoming and after coming down that mountain....it was exactly what I needed. The Camino definitely provided for me that day. I also got to hear my favorite Belgian sing in the church there. :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Have got a few places researched and picked out now. Only have Estella, Pamplona and Logrono left. Trying to decide if we should stay in pilgrim places or spend the extra money and stay in some of the beautiful hotels in these cities!

Most read last week in this forum

Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back