• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Problem before Galisteo

Wombat

Buen Camino All,

Thank you to all who have posted about the problems with painted over waymarks before Galisto. I think I have identified the problem area from your posts and from Alison Raju's guide as the location marked by the centre of the red "O" on the attached map. The green line is my interpretation of the camino route. I am hopeing that one of you who have walked this route recently could confirm that this is the location of the problem. If anyone has a photograh of the offending gate it might be useful to post a copy of that too.

Thanks for the information

Kevin
(planing for a start in September from Granada)

Attachments

• before Galisteo.jpg
    before Galisteo.jpg
    451.4 KB · Views: 2,020
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Wombat

I do not use maps on my walks and have no expertise in reading them so I cannot comment on the one you posted. All I can say is that when you follow the arrows toward Gallisteo you will find yourself beside a concrete-lined water channel. The arrows then disappear, whether by human intervention or something else. Just follow the water channel until you find a gate beside the channel that has the NO PASSAR sign on it.You will know it when you see it, and behind it on a farm building you will see a yellow arrow. Go through the gate, follow the arrows.

Earlier in the day before I reached the channel I found another gate with the NO PASSAR sign on it on the right-hand side of the path. I carried on straight ahead and soon found another arrow pointing the way I was going. So ignore that first gate, and look for the one beside the water channel

Good luck, and buen camino

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

Hi:
I totally agree with Alan. I have just returned from the Camino; I was the only person that day who did not get lost getting into Galisteo. I simply followed all the advice posted here: walk along the concrete waterway until you see a green gate on the left with the No Passar - Peregrinos OK sign. It is very obvious. It may look locked: there is a gate on the lefthand side which is not locked. You feel if you are on private property, but it is OK. The sign on the farm building was painted over when I went past, but you could still make it out. After not too long you come to a bridge where you pick up the Camino markers again. The gate seems quite a way from where you turn right and begin to walk beside the canal. Just don't do anything until you see the green gate and you will be fine.

Sue
"Poco a poco"

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I've got 2 photos for you (had to take them for the app!). I re-sized them, so hopefully they're not too big. If they're too small to see the details, let me know your e-mail and I can send them to you that way in a larger format.

Melanie

Attachments

• CaminoSign-2.jpg
    CaminoSign-2.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 1,626
  • CaminoSign-1.jpg
    CaminoSign-1.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 1,622
This is the sign that fooled me: And I interpretated the "Camino particular" as "Especially pilgrims"!

I was in a bit of panic there for a couple of hours...!#%&@ :twisted:

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Despite Kevin's excellent map this problem persists and certainly confused me on 2nd May, causing many unwelcome km on the road at the end of a long walk.
I followed the waymarks from Canarveral , ignoring the prominent diversion to Riolobo and "Camino cortado en 5 km", which looked like a hoax to me. The camino eventually descends to an artificial lake on the right and then comes up to an asphalt road just under 0.5 km north of the embalse (dam). Here is the redirection to the left (west) to Riolobos painted on the road itself. I walked right along the road (a bit under 0.5 km) to where Kevin's green line strikes north away from the made-up road. Here the problem was an apparently locked gate and destroyed waymarks (# below). Note this was about 2.5 km SOUTH OF THE RED CIRCLE on Kevin's map. I could not get through the gate and had to go via Riolobos! Here there were plenty of yellow arrows directing me along a long, tedious road to Galisteo.
Buen camino!

David
P.S. # I've been looking at the "street view" on Google maps and think that the gate described above may be some 200m short of where the camino turns to the north away from the carretera. I.e. perhaps I didn't walk far enough! Whichever way you look at it, definitely confusing!

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back