• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Problem / long stages on the VDLP

notion900

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
>
Hi I have just posted a resource in the Camino Resources area, VDLP section, which gives a strategy for the problem 40km stage caused by the closed albergue between Casar de Caceres and Cañaveral.

If anyone else has any solutions or strategies for any other problem stages, please comment here and I will add to the resource.

Just got back by the way, it was hard but awesome. I can't wait to continue my next two week section!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks for posting that. It is great to have a Plan B such as you suggest with the taxi pickup details, but I found the stage was one of my favourite days, somewhat to my surprise. I am 68, consider myself a medium walker (4 km/h while walking if conditions are good, usually planning 3 km/h over the day). I generally do not like anything of 30 km or more. I had beautiful weather that day and was walking with good company, both of which certainly helped.

Something you might want to correct in your post... The stage is definitely not almost 40 km long. Last month I walked it - the beautiful first half, the tedious several km on road, and then the interesting route over the hills to Canaveral. I measured 33 km by the GPS on my phone. Other published estimates are 33 to 34 km. There is a BIG different between 33 and 40 km!

I left the highway by the Embalse as soon as possible near the closed albergue location and took the "annoying small hills" :confused:o_O which also passed by the new highway/train construction. It was no worse than dozens of other situations you encounter on the Camino. You can read about my day here on my blog.

One note about the fishing lodge. I suspect that the report about someone having a reservation and then being turned away at the door, was likely a result of a misunderstanding by the person who attempted to make a reservation. I haven't heard of any pilgrim getting a reservation there in years. Perhaps that rumour isn't fair to the lodge owners.

I walked from Seville to Astorga in March-April. The only "problem" stages were the following:
  1. Castilblanco to Almaden de la Plata (30 km) - I was not feeling great and it was still early days, so I shared a taxi from Castilblanco to the start of the park. The taxi was very easy to arrange in Castilblanco. I walked only 16 km.
  2. Casar de Caceres to Canaveral (33 km) - This is the awkward stage around the Embalse de Alcantara that we've been discussing.
  3. Carcaboso to Aldeanueva (almost 40 km only if you don't depart from the VDLP markers) - You can reduce the stages to manageable distances by diverting to Oliva de Plasencia or Hostal Asturias, either on foot or by arranging for a pickup. If you really want to walk every step, you can walk 28 km from Carcaboso to Hostal Asturias (26 km on the official camino, plus 2 km off the camino). Alternatively, walk to Oliva and the next day back to the camino. If the route were marked that way, we would just do it and call it a 28 km stage!
So, on the VDLP from Seville to Astorga, I would say that the stage around the Embalse de Alcantara to Canaveral (#2 above) is the only place you must walk over 30 km. Everything else can be broken up. The problem is that people often don't want to take the extra days that are needed, or they are not confident enough to make the necessary adjustments on the way.

Thanks @C clearly I am going to update the resource from your info. Castilblanco I remember because the hospitalero referred to the road before the park as so dangerous for pedestrians he called it the 'puta carretera'. Not only that but there is a nightmare climb right at the end of the park if you are on a bike. Several of us had to take the bags off an old man's bike and carry it all up a steep sandy slope.

I did stay at Olivia so I had forgotten that it was technically a long stage strategy. I had such a nice time there.

The fishing lodge report isn't a rumour it happened to @HeidiL and she says she still has the reservation email. She just commented on one of my posts to thank me for posting the resource. So I am happy to leave that in.

Does anyone know if there any horrid stages on the Ourense route?

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The Albergue in Oliva de Placensia will also do a free pickup at Ventequemada. The next morning, Ivan will drive people to Caparra for a small charge. (I think it was 2 or 3 Euros each, but we were 4 people).

I have updated the resource. Does anyone have any info on long stages from Granja de Moruela to Santiago?

Thanks @C clearly I am going to update the resource from your info. Castilblanco I remember because the hospitalero referred to the road before the park as so dangerous for pedestrians he called it the 'puta carretera'. Not only that but there is a nightmare climb right at the end of the park if you are on a bike. Several of us had to take the bags off an old man's bike and carry it all up a steep sandy slope.

I did stay at Olivia so I had forgotten that it was technically a long stage strategy. I had such a nice time there.

The fishing lodge report isn't a rumour it happened to @HeidiL and she says she still has the reservation email. She just commented on one of my posts to thank me for posting the resource. So I am happy to leave that in.

Does anyone know if there any horrid stages on the Ourense route?
I would make an executive decision and avoid the last ten k's ( approx) in to Ourense and also the first ten k's or so out of Ourense. The first is tedious and on roads and the second is uphill for a long time and agains seems tedious.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I would make an executive decision and avoid the last ten k's ( approx) in to Ourense and also the first ten k's or so out of Ourense. The first is tedious and on roads and the second is uphill for a long time and agains seems tedious.
How long are those stages? My resource is intended to give detailed info to overcome some areas that may be insurmountable for some pilgrims, not really to avoid boring parts. People can make their own decisions on those.

How long are those stages? My resource is intended to give detailed info to overcome some areas that may be insurmountable for some pilgrims, not really to avoid boring parts. People can make their own decisions on those.

There are no insurmountable stages on the Sanabres. My wife and I are both late sixties and walked in April May 2015. The longest stage we did was 37 km but that through choice, was missing out an overnight stay. There are some difficult climbs but nothing as hard as the Mozarabe which we did last year.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I think that the "difficulty" of the VdlP is less due to a few long stages, and more due to the overall length and the fact that one must be more self-sufficient. There are fewer choices of albergues, bars, cafes, pilgrim friends, rest areas and fountains. There is not so much pampering and catering to pilgrims, and speaking some Spanish is more important.

I think that the "difficulty" of the VdlP is less due to a few long stages, and more due to the overall length and the fact that one must be more self-sufficient. There are fewer choices of albergues, bars, cafes, pilgrim friends, rest areas and fountains. There is not so much pampering and catering to pilgrims, and speaking some Spanish is more important.
That's just why I like it :D

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I am looking for my next Camino and like the look of this one starting in Seville. I am a solitary individual and comfortable with my own company. My last one was the camino Madrid which was...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back