• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Problems at Rabe de la Calzadas

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
Hi all,

One of our forum members have written to me to tell me/us about some problems they had at Rabe de la Calzadas in September last year.

They ended up having a bad experience there at the "Albergue Virgin de la Guia". The group ended up writing a complaint about their incident to the "Amigos del Camino de Santiago de Burgos".

I have received a copy of their complaint as well as the answer from the Amigos del Camino de Santiago de Burgos for all to read.

Ivar

Attachments

• Rabe-de-la-Calzadas.pdf
    90.3 KB · Views: 574
  • Answer-from-ACS-Burgos.pdf
    239.9 KB · Views: 479
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
i stayed there last July

Hola

I stayed there last July and it seemed fine. There was just one Spanish guy there and we had a pleasent meal of garlic soup served wine.

However the treatment of these Pilgrims is deplorable, a disgrace. It goes against the whole ethic of respect and friendship, helping on the way.

I am really sorry that the pilgrims suffered as they did.

Pretty inhumane treatment.

Perhaps the woman has had some kind of breakdown and needs help.

Perhpas she needs to walk the Camino herself to get over her problems?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Thank-you, Iver, for this info. I'm very proud of the support that the Asociacion gave to the pilgrims that were clearly harassed by the "hospitalera" (for lack of a better term)at the albergue in question. This sounds like a most extreme case of unkindness and ill-treatment I've heard coming from an "hospitalera," if u can call her that. I've experienced nastiness from some hospitaleros, but none compared to this "torture." Should this have happened in a public albergue or one run by an asociacion, she would have been kicked out in zero time. This is one more support that pilgrims get from albergues run by asociaciones. The "word" gets easily spread around with pilgrims about so many things, it's incredible, not only on the Caminos, but through cyber waves, another Camino-related forums' benefit. Even from a practical view point, this "bully" doesn't know how to run a business. Hopefully, eventually, and soon, she'll either have to deal constructively with whatever personal problems she obviously seems to have, or go bankrupt. The Camino is so much a metaphor for life, one encounters good and bad individuals, experiences, as well as good and bad times, like in the "real world." Dealing with them is a lesson onto itself. Sounds like there are no alternative albergues in the area. What a shame. I'd like to exhort all of us to boycott this albergue and plan our walks so that we skip it. Best, xm 8)

Ah... I've just checked. There are other places in the locality were one may stay. I seem to recall staying in Tardajos...

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have met Bente and her German friend last year. Our first encounter was precisely as I was going through Rabe de las Calzadas. They told me their story and I was shocked.

I continued to meet these ladies all along the Camino and I even met them in Santiago under torrents of rain... They were nice people. Bente had a wonderful voice and I will forever remember our supper in Sahagun were we talked so much that we missed the closing time at the albergue. Luckily some smokers were outside and we were able to go in by a back door.

I don't know if Bente remembers me or if she is aware of this forum but I send her my warmest regards and I give her a big hug.

Concerning this "hospitalera" all pigrims should send her a clear message by not staying at her place. She runs a private business therefore we should aim where it hurts... her wallet. Pilgrims can stay at Burgos, Tardajos or push on to Hornillos del Camino. Let us unite !

I wholeheartedly agree. I'm just looking back at my trip and went from Tarjados (when the hospitalero was a lovely man) to Castrojeriz (where I learnt that day two of their hospitaleros had been involved in a fatal accident - but in true Camino ways, the place was kept open by the pilgrims themselves) says it all, really.

I was just checking the CSJ 2006 pilgrim guide. The entry on Vigen de la Guia in Rabe de las Calzadas says "Private, reported clean and friendly". I wonder if that entry still exists for 2007.

The camino may harbor angels and demons, but we leave it to 'karma'; not exactly a Christian concept, but I believe in it. If you don't, well, let's just leave it to 'market forces'. ;-)

If I were a pilgrim mistreated like that, for dramatic impact I'd leave her a piece of paper with this written: 'Matthew 10:11-15'.

Mark

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
...all pigrims should send her a clear message by not staying at her place. She runs a private business therefore we should aim where it hurts... her wallet. Pilgrims can stay at Burgos, Tardajos or push on to Hornillos del Camino. Let us unite !

Absolutely! Does anyone know the e-mail address? Let's do it, & pass the word on to fellow-pilgrims in other Santiago-related, forums. Best, xm 8)

I have the 2007 CSJ guide at home. I'll look at it & see what it says for this year. Perhaps an email to the person who works on this guide is in order; he relies on reports from pilgrims the previous season to let him know what problems they encountered along the Camino.

dg

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
"...an email to the person who works on this guide is in order; he relies on reports from pilgrims the previous season to let him know what problems they encountered along the Camino."

Excellent idea.

Best,

xm 8)

The 2007 CSJ guide says exactly the same as 2006 'reported clean and friendly'.

The CSJ publishes guide updates on it's website. Just email any changes to Marion at info@csj.org.uk

As I recall there were two private refugios in that village. There was one near the church and another slightly further up the hill.

I was going to stay at the one next to the church, and remember waiting outside for 3pm for it to open. As time passed some more pilgrims arrived, we sat and waited for a while before realising that there was nothing to do in that village, nowhere to eat apart from in the albergue, so the four of us carried on to Hornillos. I'm quite glad we did now!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
On the website caminodesantiago.consumer.es the listing for the Albergue Virgen de la Guia has commentary that notes that the original, highly praised owners sold the albergue in summer 2006. I've pasted in the comment from that website and I hope that someone follows up on their suggestion to give "nuevas opiniones" about the "nuevos duenos"

Fecha: 28/03/2007
Autor: maldonadoperegrino(arroba)hotmail.com

Seguramente todo habrá cambiado, pues Mariví ha vendido el albergue. Se agradecerían nuevas opiniones sobre el trato que los nuevos dueños dan a los peregrinos, si han hecho reformas, etc.

Las opiniones anteriores al verano 2006 ya no sirven, puesto que ella era el alma y el principal atractivo de aquello.

Seguramente todo habrá cambiado, pues Mariví ha vendido el albergue. Se agradecerían nuevas opiniones sobre el trato que los nuevos dueños dan a los peregrinos, si han hecho reformas, etc.

Las opiniones anteriores al verano 2006 ya no sirven, puesto que ella era el alma y el principal atractivo de aquello.

Bingo! I know Maldonado, will write him directly. Thanks much, peregrina2000 :!: xm 8)

I just submitted this matter to the "Association de Coopérations interrégionale - Les Chemins de St Jacques" which is a key organisation in France regarding the pilgrimages to Santiago; it also publishes a guide much used by French speaking walkers and pilgrims.

I have also advised the Canadian Company of Pilgrims.

I am sure together we will have a impact.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I just sent the following e-mail to Jose Maria Maldonado:

Querido amigo.

El parrafo de arriba fue publicado hoy en el foro de la CSJ, del cual soy participe.

En septiembre del año pasado una forera extranjera, participante del foro de la CSJ, junto con otros peregrinos, extranjeros, tambien, experimentaron una seria de maltratos en el "Albergue Virgen de la Guia".

A continuacion te incluyo el enlace de una carta, en ingles, que dichos peregrinos escribieron reportando los abusos, a la Asociacion de Amigos del Camino de Santiago de Burgos:

documents/Rabe-de-la-Calzadas.pdf

Le sigue el enlace de la respuesta de la Asociacion.

documents/Answer-from-ACS-Burgos.pdf

Nosotros en el foro de la CSJ, estamos indignados ante este evento. Cualquier curso de accion que nos puedas recomendar sera agradecido de antemano.

Un abrazo,

Xose Manuel Alvariño

PD: No pasa un dia que no vaya a trabajar sin "Flechas Amarillas"!

Mas caminos, menos compostelas-Angel, peregrino

Copy of e-mail sent to two Spanish language, Santiago-related, cyber foros: AGACS, and, camino-de-santiago, informing/exhorting pilgrims to boycott the albergue in question.

Amigos, en septiembre ultimo un grupo de peregrinos extranjeros reportaron haber sufrido una serie de maltratos de parte de la hospitalera del "Albergue Virgen de la Guia", ubicado en Rabe de la Calzada. . Es privado. Como reporta Maldonado, hubo un cambio de gestoria en ese lugar. Nosotros, los peregrinos miembros del foro de la CSJ, estamos indignados ante estos abusos, & les pedimos a todos los peregrinos que caminen por esa area que boicoteen dicho albergue. Para mas detalles, favor de ver la info incluida.

Un abrazo,

xm

Querido amigo.

El parrafo de arriba fue publicado hoy en el foro de la CSJ, del cual soy participe.

En septiembre del año pasado una forera extranjera, participante del foro de la CSJ, junto con otros peregrinos, extranjeros, tambien, experimentaron una seria de maltratos en el "Albergue Virgen de la Guia".

A continuacion te incluyo el enlace de una carta, en ingles, que dichos peregrinos escribieron reportando los abusos, a la Asociacion de Amigos del Camino de Santiago de Burgos:

documents/Rabe-de-la-Calzadas.pdf

Le sigue el enlace de la respuesta de la Asociacion.

documents/Answer-from-ACS-Burgos.pdf

Nosotros en el foro de la CSJ estamos indignados ante este evento. Cualquier curso de accion que nos puedas recomendar sera agradecido de antemano.

Un abrazo,

Xose Manuel Alvariño

marktqm, that albergue seems to have been acquired by the "hospitalera from hell," on June '06. See peregrina2000's Spanish language post below.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
xm,

It's a matter of time till the thing closes, then.

Unfortunately, we haven't heard the hospitalera's side. To be fair, I'd be interested to know what she has to say. Could it be PMS? ;-)

Mark

Sexist comments apart - like any hostals or hotels there are good and bad. This must be true with albergues too particularly as privately owned establishments grow. Let's hope word of the "review" reaches her and that things improve - pilgrims will decide for themselves.

From a Santiago-related, cyber, forum:
Dear fellow pilgrims, I remember the "Virgen de las Guías" albergue, in 2004 I stopped there; it was run by a seriously unbalanced lady and I had to resort to all my medical experience to get along with her. I see her condition has deteriorated. Big problem is that next albergue is 8 kilometers away, at Hornillos del Camino. Now I recall that I got there - Rabe de las Calzadas - just by chance, I hoped to stop in Tardajos, 2 kilometers before, but the albergue was full. Now I see that my experience was "mild"; it certainly is a place to avoid! Machi

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I was sorry to see this has happened. It's true,pilgrim abuse is a tried-and-true tradition on the camino, at least according to historic documents. But thankfully we have these kinds of ways to spread the news and perhaps "vote with our feet and save others the bad experience and maybe even shut down the baddies. I'm glad our Norwegian friends shared their experience; and their very considerate way of dealing with the problem.

Reb.

Rebekah Scott,
erstwhile print journalist
full-time wanderer

mark, I think that when u read similar comments from diff sources, there's gotta be something there. Best, xm 8)

After I forwarded Hannelore and Bente's message to the editor of the Confraternity of St. James' "Pilgrims Guide" I got this response:

"The outbreak of bed bug infestation along the Camino might account for Michele's over the top reaction to people with insect bites. The rest of the story of the hospitalera's behaviour is quite bizarre. This is the first time that I have had bad reports about this albergue but I must confess that it does not seem to be much used by pilgrims, I have had only two or three reports in all about it in the last three years. I note that the price has gone up as the friendly welcome has receded.

I will certainly change the entry in next years guide.

Thank you for bringing this complaint to my attention.

Best wishes,

William Bisset"

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Virgen de las Guías

Th subject is being discussed on Gocamino as well. Here is apost from one of the members:

"Dear fellow pilgrims, I remember the "Virgen de las Guías" albergue,
in 2004 I stopped there; it was run by a seriously unbalanced lady
and I had to resort to all my medical experience to get along with
her."

"I am tempted to write to that French hospitalera ( in French ) and tell her
of the bad reputation she giving herself. And how word of mouth can work in someone's favour but also to someone's detriment. Not an aggressive mail - I was not party to this unfortunate experience - but maybe she will get the point and be a bit more caring in future ?
Anyway, if someone has her e mail address and thinks it is a good idea,
please send me the details
Thanks
Philippe pips124@hotmail.com"

How interesting...it just dawned on me that I had stopped at the albergue with the "hospitalera from hell," at Rabe!

I usually like to check out albergues, public/private, before checking in (or not); it's not easy being a member in good standing of the bougeoisie... I wish I could just go anywhere, leave my backpack on a bed, take a shower, eat, & go to sleep, but...

In any case, there was something about that albergue that I didn't like, I don't know if it was the lack of ventilation or how cramped it was

(Now, in hindsight, I must have sensed something dark about the place, and that "voice" telling me: "not here").

I must have mentioned something which caused her to say the old adage: "el peregrino no exije, agradece" ("a pilgrim doesn't make demands, he is greatful"), or something like that. Someone please correct me on this.

My reply to her was: "not when I pay for a service!," and off I walked out to another albergue.

Because there was another one, which btw turned out to be one of the best ones as far as the hospitalera, Marivi, and the warm quality of her albergue, r concerned.

At the time Marivi was fighting her own personal war vs cancer, I remember having a long conversation about that and other things, with her.

What an excellent, spiritually evolved, human being.

In time we put up tables outside on the street by the albergue, and had a nice, simple, good, hearty, Camino dinner.

Later on, during a great after supper talk, two pilgrims came to the albergue on horseback.

I love horses!

I remember I got up and went to the pilgrims riding them, they were from Andalucia, talked at length with them, petted the horses, and learned a lot about horsebackriding on the Camino, as well as re: taking dogs (DO NOT) on the pilgrimage.

I have no idea why am sharing this!

Or, yes, of course, because I did meet the "hospitalera from hell," but more importantly, Marivi.

And, I did listen to the "voice."

Abrazos to all,

xm 8)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Angels and demons on the camino, xm, angels and demons.

Readers of Coelho's book will probably relate to this.

Mark

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I couldn't keep on reading it after the third page, Minkey. Bored the dickens out of me. On the other hand, an inmense amount of pilgrims have liked it & been motivated by the book to walk the Caminos upon reading it. My repects to Señor Coehlo, for that . Check out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paulo_Coelho Best, xm 8)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It's basically a very funny book about a guy who did it with a donkey... The Camino, I mean... Spanish Steps, it's called. Bit rude in places, but still, I found it hillarious.

I found a used copy of Coelho's book several months after I finished the walk to Santiago. I was very excited in getting it but somewhat disappointed as there were some errors (e.g. looking for the chocolates bought in Astorge, in a place along the trail that's before Astorga), and I felt like he was describing another landscape at times.

If I had read the book prior to my camino, it wouldn't have inspired me.

But some folks love it, and if it works for them, then that's great.

Mark

Most read last week in this forum

Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back