• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Problems send luggage from Portugal to the Santiago post office!?

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
[Please read the whole thread below, since there there is more relevant information about this below that was posted after my initial post]
----------

Dear all,

This morning I have been talking to Tourline Express here in Santiago. This is the company that delivers parcels in Santiago, that is sent from the Portuguese post offices.

If they receive a parcel (suitcase/box/anything) that is addresses to the Santiago post office (for storage), they will not deliver it there. It will be returned to Portugal. The reason is that Correos Spain is charging Tourline for storing their parcels there, and Tourline will not pay this fee.

To make a long story short... don't send your luggage/boxes from Portugal to the Santiago post office.

So what should you do? I would make a reservation at a hotel in Santiago and send it there, or you could send it to me (More here: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/luggage-storage-in-santiago-de-compostela/ )

I assume that there will be a similar problem sending stuff from France to the Santiago post office as well.

Sending parcels from any post office in Spain to the post office in Santiago works well.

I hope this all makes sense... I thought I would post this here after talking to the Tourline Express delivery guy morning. He told me he had suitcases at his storage facility in Santiago that was about to me sent back to Portugal :(

Greetings from Santiago,
Ivar

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
After all the help this forum has given me, not to mention friends, ideas, information, and solid advice based on experience, I would just send it to Ivar in Santiago.

I'm sure that the pilgrims traveling in Portugal will appreciate this advice.

Ivar has a serious storeroom full of all our stuff, and even when the post works (sending from within Spain) , it's a lot more fun to collect your things from him rather than going to the post office. :).
The small cost to store a box there makes for a lot of peace of mind on the road and helps Ivar pay the rent, too. Win win all the way.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Excellent advice. Can someone send me a message with Ivar's storage address and how to contact him. I will be cycling the CP in September and want to send ahead my backpack. Thanks.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I did it two weeks ago and it was no problem at all. It took a bit over a week to get there. Don't forget add to the address someting like pelegrino de santiago de compostela mister x

I did it two weeks ago and it was no problem at all. It took a bit over a week to get there. Don't forget add to the address someting like pelegrino de santiago de compostela mister x
Do you remember if you mailed it express or as any other type of "urgent" parcel? I am interested to know, since if you had it delivered to the post office in Santiago... sending it from Portugal, you must have had the parcel handed over to the Spanish postal service once in Spain.

Curious to know..

Thanks!
Ivar

€60,-
I just went to the main postoffice in Porto and send it "poste restante". No express, urgent or other.
The address to send was the main postoffice in Santiago la coruna. ( i dont have the exact phrase anymore)
I added my name in the address like "pelegrino camino de Santiago M. Dekker".
I added track and trace service, in total 9 euros for the parcel (a flightbag and some small things). They told us that it would stay max one month in Santiago. Just to be sure i added my own address as sender.
It was waiting for us in Santiago when we arrived.
Showed my passport, signed for delivery and that was it,

track and trace was useless because the latest update on the web showed Madrid.
i think it took a week to arrive in SdC

I just went to the main postoffice in Porto and send it "poste restante". No express, urgent or other.
The address to send was the main postoffice in Santiago la coruna. ( i dont have the exact phrase anymore)
I added my name in the address like "pelegrino camino de Santiago M. Dekker".
I added track and trace service, in total 9 euros for the parcel (a flightbag and some small things). They told us that it would stay max one month in Santiago. Just to be sure i added my own address as sender.
It was waiting for us in Santiago when we arrived.
Showed my passport, signed for delivery and that was it,

track and trace was useless because the latest update on the web showed Madrid.
i think it took a week to arrive in SdC
Ok, this is good to know... I will then change the title of this posts since it is still not clear why and under what circumstances the parcel will actually be delivered to the Poste Restante at the Santiago post office.

Thanks for letting me know!
Ivar

[Please read the whole thread below, since there there is more relevant information about this below that was posted after my initial post]
----------

Dear all,

This morning I have been talking to Tourline Express here in Santiago. This is the company that delivers parcels in Santiago, that is sent from the Portuguese post offices.

If they receive a parcel (suitcase/box/anything) that is addresses to the Santiago post office (for storage), they will not deliver it there. It will be returned to Portugal. The reason is that Correos Spain is charging Tourline for storing their parcels there, and Tourline will not pay this fee.

To make a long story short... don't send your luggage/boxes from Portugal to the Santiago post office.

So what should you do? I would make a reservation at a hotel in Santiago and send it there, or you could send it to me (More here: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/luggage-storage-in-santiago-de-compostela/ )

I assume that there will be a similar problem sending stuff from France to the Santiago post office as well.

Sending parcels from any post office in Spain to the post office in Santiago works well.

I hope this all makes sense... I thought I would post this here after talking to the Tourline Express delivery guy morning. He told me he had suitcases at his storage facility in Santiago that was about to me sent back to Portugal :(

Greetings from Santiago,
Ivar

Hi Ivar
Thanks for the info on sending a bag from Lisbon directly to Santiago.
Unfortunately the link you included gives me an error 403(?)
Can you provide the address details for this service please?
Love your blog. It helped me during my Camino St James earlier this year and no doubt will again for my Camino Portugese next April.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you very much Ivar. Perfect answer - 10 out of 10. You covered everything I needed to know.
See you in May 2018 when I collect my bag

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you very much Ivar. Perfect answer - 10 out of 10. You covered everything I needed to know.
See you in May 2018 when I collect my bag

a time traveller! :eek::cool::)
Another Aussie here, I'll be walking the Portugues in April also and wondered about the posting, this is great info, thanks Ivar!

The way I see it, the bag/box/whatever must be sent from a post office in Portugal, Spain or France to the Correos in Santiago. If it's sent by a parcel delivery service the Correos will not accept it.
The info the Correos sent me, regarding the way to address it:
Pilgrim Name
(Paquete Peregrino)
Lista de Correos
Rúa do Franco 4
Oficina de Correos
15702, Santiago de Compostela
A Coruña
España
Anyway, my advice is to send it to Ivar.

Are there any issues with sending two suitcases (20-22 kg each) from either Porto or Lisbon to Ivar's location?
What is the best method and approximate cost, if any of you have done this?

We are elsewhere in Europe previous to doing the Portuguese Camino in the fall and do not wish to deal with sending our excess luggage ahead each day.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Are there any issues with sending two suitcases (20-22 kg each) from either Porto or Lisbon to Ivar's location?
What is the best method and approximate cost, if any of you have done this?

We are elsewhere in Europe previous to doing the Portuguese Camino in the fall and do not wish to deal with sending our excess luggage ahead each day.
Have a look here for costs as of last year:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...tugal-to-santiago-with-the-post-office.45909/
The post office seems to work well, the only downside is that if there is a problem with the shipment customer service from the Portuguese post office (while in Spain) is close to zero. A private shipper (DHL, FedEX,...) are more expensive, but customer service is much better. For me it is the same, I will store what I receive.

Buen Camino!
Ivar

Last edited:
Thanks, much appreciated.

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back