A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Problems with Carry-on Back Packs

2020 Camino Guides
Camino(s) past & future
Primitivo (2018)
Primitivo (2019)
Invierno (2019)
Del Baztan (2020)
Firstly my BP is size ok.
I definitely want to Carry-On my BackPack ... with small
Nail Clippers;
80 mm knife;
tiny Victorinox Swiss Scissors;
fold-Up CarbonFibre Poles.

Any experience with this?
I fly to Spain regularly from the US with only my carryon backpack. I always have each of those items minus the knife and have never had an issue. They always note the scissors and have me remove the metal tips from my poles, but allow them without a problem. The only place I’ve had nail clippers taken (as well as anything metal at all) is in Panama. Hope this helps somewhat.

Pipmahoe

Camino(s) past & future
Frances June 2018
Central Portuguese April 2019 8 weeks post hip replacement!
Hello,
Having read many of the posts on this forum looking for advice about footwear, travelling with poles, which rucksack is the best, poncho or rain jacket etc etc etc.....everyone has there own preferences and different experiences. I have now been on 4 different Caminos, the first one we bought out poles in SJPdP, I was reluctant to throw mine away and as I had a trapped nerve in my behind I decided to walk to the plane with them, I was asked if I needed them to walk to which I replied yes and I was allowed to take them on board the plane. The 2nd time we checked one bag with all the poles and toiletries etc. Last time we took the risk of travelling with our poles (with rubber tips on) in our packs which we took as carryons and there was no problem That was flying from Scotland and back from Spain. As far as blades are concerned your knive is too long, 2 inches is the max length for carry on, my son kept on buying penknives when we were in Spain and had to leave them in the airport as the blades where too long. Bon Camino

Solitaire

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2007, Chemin du Puy 2016, Primitivo and San Salvador 2018
Firstly my BP is size ok.
I definitely want to Carry-On my BackPack ... with small
Nail Clippers;
80 mm knife;
tiny Victorinox Swiss Scissors;
fold-Up CarbonFibre Poles.

Any experience with this?
I had friends fly in to Asturias and they bought cheap poles that were adequate at Oviedo to walk the Primitivo. The poles had a solid workout
I bought my poles in Kathmandu, have hiked in Annapurnas, Primitivo and Salvador and still going strong - they were cheap. Knives, scissors and nail clippers are everywhere.

Glassie1

Camino(s) past & future
Sarria to Santiago 2018, Camino Frances 2019, Le Puy 2020
I fly from Australia ... Yes I feared as much ... just trying to find a way around not losing my expensive Poles.
Hi we flew from Australia last year and wrapped our backpacks with plastic wrap at airports, which had all our gear, of course poles etc. But put into hold not cabin. Quite safe. On returning to Australia we did see a lot of packs not wrapped. Buen Camino from Bundaberg

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 54 4.2%
  • April

Votes: 193 15.1%
  • May

Votes: 319 25.0%
  • June

Votes: 93 7.3%
  • July

Votes: 23 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • September

Votes: 366 28.6%
  • October

Votes: 154 12.1%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

Votes: 6 0.5%
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock