• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Problems with Carry-on Back Packs

BruceS

Time of past OR future Camino
CF late 2020 or April 2021
Firstly my BP is size ok.
I definitely want to Carry-On my BackPack ... with small
Nail Clippers;
80 mm knife;
tiny Victorinox Swiss Scissors;
fold-Up CarbonFibre Poles.

Any experience with this?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I fly from Australia ... Yes I feared as much ... just trying to find a way around not losing my expensive Poles.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Nail Clippers;
80 mm knife;

You will get many descriptions and conflicting advice, and you eon't know for sure until you reach the security screening. I suggest packing those things in a parcel or bag to be discarded. Check that bag and carry everything else in your backpack, into the cabin.

Check with security at your local airport.

If they say no and you really want to bring these things, get a small box, load it with these items and check the box. Or buy these items in Europe.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Check with security at your local airport.

If they say no and you really want to bring these things, get a small box, load it with these items and check the box. Or buy these items in Europe.
Thanks...it seems That is what I am faced with ....

I put my pack and poles in a blue IKEA bag (sort of like a cheap duffel). Carried what I absolutely needed for the Camino in a small carry-on pack which I mailed to Ivar's once I arrived in SJPdP.

I had a very small pair of scissors taken off me in Australia recently. I knew they were a safe size but I got told only allowed if the blades have curved ends not pointed ends! I have carried them on board lots of times before so you can never tell how strict security is going to be.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I bought a 24” cardboard mailing tube, and put my poles, tiny scissors, an extra contact lens solution (that would have put me over my liquid allocation) in the tube as well. I checked the tube and carried my backpack on. I ditched the tube when I got there. Coming home, I put the entire pack and poles in a large extremely lightweight duffel which had lived in the very bottom of my pack the whole time, and checked the whole thing. It didn’t matter if it went missing on the way home 😉

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Nail Clippers;
80 mm knife;

You definitely won't be allowed to carry an 80mm knife on any flight in Europe. the limit for blades is 50mm

I had recently a 1 cm folding knife taken away from me as carry on. I always can check in my carry on so no problems there. For hicking poles You could order a pair of Lekis and ship them to your starting point.

Last edited:
@BruceS from Sydney airport I have not had a problem with carbon fibre poles folded up inside my carry-on back pack, and with tech tips, not metal tips. I am very careful I don't have anything metal - no pen knives, scissors, tweezers, needles. All and any can be easily bought in Spain. I also have any liquids, gels, toothpaste etc in a clear plastic ziplock bag in the outside pocket of my back pack, ready to get out show when I go through security, along with my mobile phone.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Nail clippers are now permitted. I have never been challenged with them.
The rest - I buy over there and donate at the end of my Camino.
I'm also from Australia but here is the US (ie world wide) edict:

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
On over hundred's of international flights (since 911) I have repurchase too many swiss army knives, nail files, etc. If I knew that airport security would donate confiscated items to kids/homeless people, I'd probably carry my own on board. Any security person anywhere in the world may single out your particular item for whatever reason - and there's no way you're going to convince them otherwise unless you take it up with their supervisors/managers - and even then, it's not worth the hassle. I tried carrying copies of the (TSA-usa) regulations and that doesn't make a difference either.

Nail Clippers;
80 mm knife;

I placed my pack with 2 box cutters and a Victorinox knife into a suitcase. Poles were protected. The suitcase was large enough to accommodate them without separating the sections. I'd obtained the suitcase for free from a give-it-away-free kind of website and left the suitcase in SJPdP. The owner of the hostel didn't mind my leaving it behind because he knew he would use it as a give away some where down the line. When I got to Santiago, I purchased a quality 4-wheel rolling suitcase and transported my pack back home that way. I separated my poles into their three individual pieces and placed them on the bottom of the suitcase for the return trip. One other way to protect poles is to place them inside PVC plumbing pipes and place caps at both ends. Tape everything tight.

I bought a 24” cardboard mailing tube, and put my poles, tiny scissors, an extra contact lens solution (that would have put me over my liquid allocation) in the tube as well. I checked the tube and carried my backpack on. I ditched the tube when I got there. Coming home, I put the entire pack and poles in a large extremely lightweight duffel which had lived in the very bottom of my pack the whole time, and checked the whole thing. It didn’t matter if it went missing on the way home 😉
This is good advice and is what I did when flying from the U.S. I boxed up poles, knife, liquids, etc. and checked all that and then carried on my backpack.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
This is good advice and is what I did when flying from the U.S. I boxed up poles, knife, liquids, etc. and checked all that and then carried on my backpack.
Re being "over the limit" on liquids. Place liquids in separate containers before they go through the exray machine. The person looking at the items on the screen won't know who owns what and won't necessarily realize that someone is taking too much liquids. Also, if you put liquids of small quantities in a food bag, like something from McDonalds, no one really pays attention to food bags.

Re being "over the limit" on liquids. Place liquids in separate containers before they go through the exray machine. The person looking at the items on the screen won't know who owns what and won't necessarily realize that someone is taking too much liquids. Also, if you put liquids of small quantities in a food bag, like something from McDonalds, no one really pays attention to food bags.

From the TSA
You are allowed to bring a quart-sized bag of liquids, aerosols, gels, creams and pastes in your carry-on bag and through the checkpoint. These are limited to travel-sized containers that are 3.4 ounces (100 milliliters) or less per item.

So, one bag for liquids and nothing that exceeds 100ml - don't try to cheat

€149,-
Nail Clippers;
80 mm knife;

Bruce, I carried my fold-up poles in my checked bag with no problem. If they fit inside your carry-on that’s acceptable. You generally cannot carry a knife or scissors of any size in a carry-on but it’s fine in a checked bag.

The OP was asking if anyone had experience with taking fold up carbon fibre poles as carry on. I too am interested in this, before I buy the expensive poles I have my eye on. @Kanga said she’s had no problem taking folded carbon fibre poles with tech tips (no metal) in her carry on pack, out of Sydney airport. For what it’s worth, several months ago I spoke to a woman on the bus here in Vancouver (she was obviously heading to the airport) and she was holding - in her hands - folded up poles. She told me her daughter had given them to her (I did not know to ask whether the tips were metal or not, and I’m guessing she would not have known). She appeared not to be the least concerned that security would confiscate them; she said she had been “all over“ (including France) and always carried her poles on board the aircraft that way. She was then en route to go hiking in Italy.

@BruceS, I’ll be interested to know what you decide to do, and how you manage.

Hi Bruce,

I agree with Benny, I had the same problem with poles coming from Ireland. I found that I could buy an inexpensive set in SJPP. They were less than the cost of putting them in the hold of the airplane. Once finished with them I just left them behind. It is a toss of a coin whether you can bring them on or not. I did not think it was worth the risk.

Nail Clippers;
80 mm knife;

Definitely a no go for cabin luggage. Get a cardboard box, pack the banned items into it, seal well with packing tape and send it in the hold. On artival, just discard the box.

Also, if you put liquids of small quantities in a food bag, like something from McDonalds, no one really pays attention to food bags.
My son's girlfriend wasn't allowed a small container of cheese dip from a fast food place.

I've never had a problem with tweezers or nail clippers, and I carry-on small folding scissors like this that don't have pointed ends
061355.jpg

For a return flight, I once made a box to fit my check in stuff using discarded shoe boxes from a shop down the road from my hotel. The hotel provided scissors and tape.

Reuse, repurpose, recycle. 😊

Mostly I find life is simpler if I leave behind anything that can’t be carried on.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Bruce, I carried my fold-up poles in my checked bag with no problem. If they fit inside your carry-on that’s acceptable. You generally cannot carry a knife or scissors of any size in a carry-on but it’s fine in a checked bag.
Having your poles in your carry-on may have worked for you, that time. But I can assure you, it is not allowed in Canada, and from what I’ve heard on here and elsewhere, it is totally at the whim of airport personnel and their mood on the day. I would never risk it.

I've been lucky with my poles, a few times through Madrid and NYC and no problem. my plan has always been to go through security at least 3 hours before the flight, this will give enough time to go back to the counter and check your pack if needed.

I talked to a gal in REI the other day that had her poles taken in Denver.

3-hour rule!

I would never try to bring a knife or scissors, just a small nail clipper.

I want to find a small ultralight bag just for essentials that I would not check if I ever had to check my pack/poles, 1 or 2L would be plenty. I'm down to 10lbs./ 4.5kg including my poles and want to keep it that way!

I had to carry-on from Bilbao through Paris to Cincinnati, it was a last minute flight to get to my sister's bedside who was in the ER, long story; anyway I had a corkscrew with a foil cutter knife on it in my bag. Wasn't even think about it until I arrived home in Cincinnati and was quizzed when I passed through the customs line scanner. I was home, mind you, and they made me give up the corkscrew, this after passing through a scanner in Spain and another scanner in France. Idiots!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
no corkscrews allowed! lol

hope your sister is well.

Last edited:
I fly from Australia ... Yes I feared as much ... just trying to find a way around not losing my expensive Poles.
Never had problems with black diamond z poles on multiple airlines to and from NZ in and out of several countries in Europe.
Never flew out of Santiago, but Madrid was ok.

I bought a 24” cardboard mailing tube, and put my poles, tiny scissors, an extra contact lens solution (that would have put me over my liquid allocation) in the tube as well. I checked the tube and carried my backpack on. I ditched the tube when I got there. Coming home, I put the entire pack and poles in a large extremely lightweight duffel which had lived to in the very bottom of my pack the whole time, and checked the whole thing. It didn’t matter if it went missing on the way home 😉
[/QUOTE
Here’s a photo of the stuff sack below. It’s 65L but weighs only 5.2 oz, folds up to about the size of a pair of socks.

Attachments

• CDF93BA7-0D77-493C-9697-D9B4C3483392.png
    CDF93BA7-0D77-493C-9697-D9B4C3483392.png
    183.9 KB · Views: 35
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have carried on my backpack (32L-48L) on flights to every Camino I walked. Always made it a point to leave out anything that was even remotely not allowed as a carry on item. Liquids, trekking poles, nail clippers etc. None of those are an absolute necessity to walk the Camino and can be purchased upon arrival anyway. I also never carry anything on the Camino I do not mind losing or having to discard. It is relaxing, liberating and a nice piece of mind knowing that you can easily board your flight with all your stuff and exit with it all in hand. No worries and can skip the baggage claim at the arrival airport.
On two occasions enroute to the Camino I did put trekking poles in a cardboard box along with toothpaste and sunscreen and an ample supply of protein bars and did the checked on baggage option with it. All inexpensive stuff (trekking poles were about 20 euros for the pair) and I would not have cared if they were lost. The poles I discarded in Santiago.

Last edited:
Hi Bruce....2 weeks ago i flew Emirates out of Adelaide via Dubai to Paris. Wanted to use only carry on luggage. Diamond hike pole only collapses to about 60cm.😱
... but No problems all the way.
I was asked by an attendant that I'm sure has never hiked "..is it a walking stick?"...as it was extending beyond the end of my backpack... i said "yes" of course.
I am 64... so to the 27 yo attendant I probably looked 80!.... anyway they can't deny anyone ataking their walking stick ???
I see elderly people in the city using hiking poles now as walking aids, rather than the older style walking sticks.
Buen camino mate.

Nail Clippers;
80 mm knife;

There’s the law (or regulations), then there’s the theoretical application of the law, then there’s the entirely variable experience on the day depending on many factors outside your control.

You may want to argue the law whilst trying to get through security with a flight to catch, or you may want to take the pragmatic route and accept the variable decision on the day. Having a heated discussion whilst trying to pass through airport security will only go one way.

Check the questionable items, or buy them in Spain.

Walking poles spend half their working life in contact with the ground, so the weight saving of super-light carbon poles is very questionable. (Didn’t stop me buying several pairs though!) Standard poles are available in any large town or conventional Camino starting point; everything else you’ll find in any pharmacy or hardware shop - with which Spain is densely populated.

€149,-
I can assure you, it is not allowed in Canada,
I have carried my folding carbon fibre poles in my carry-on backpack from Canadian airports, so it is not as sure as you suggest. However, I usually choose to put them in a package as checked luggage in order to avoid any complication.

I have carried my folding carbon fibre poles in my carry-on backpack from Canadian airports, so it is not as sure as you suggest. However, I usually choose to put them in a package as checked luggage in order to avoid any complication.
I guess my mistake was talking to the airport near me, and to Transport Canada who I was also told to call. One of those “It’s better to ask forgiveness than permission” scenarios, maybe? 😄. I was told that only if I had a letter from my Dr. indicating I needed them as a mobility aid might I possibly get away with it, but think I would have had a hard time making that case...

I guess my mistake was talking to the airport near me, and to Transport Canada who I was also told to call.
Or a "better safe than sorry" recommendation. I think it is a case of there being "walking poles" and "walking poles." Maybe folding carbon fibre ones are interpreted by some agents as having less potential as weapons.

In any case, we have had many long and fractious debates on the topic on the forum, so it is best to avoid blanket statement on the topic. I was just pointing out that the inconsistencies in practice exist in Canada as well as other places.

Thanks ALL for this advice. Today I purchased a protective covering canvas Duffle Type Bag. I will be doing the Checking-in the bag procedure and Hoping the Camino Way will see it safely delivered to Barcelona.
BruceS ... borne in Canada and 58 years ago, found my life partner in Oz.🤩

Nail Clippers;
80 mm knife;

The general rule is that if its pointed and can be used as weapon then expect to have it confiscated. Everything can be bought in France or Spain or better still, camino will provide everything you need. Pilgrims leave stuff behind in albergues even fancy carbon poles. Roncesvalles is an Aladans cave. Taking carry-on bag is good idea, I did the same and in 4 Caminos I've only carried and needed the nail clippers and if needed, the filing part could be used as a weapon 🤠

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Nail Clippers;
80 mm knife;

buy the poles, scissors and knife in St Jeanie wherever you start from. no hassels this way

no corkscrews allowed! lol

hope your sister is well.
Thanks for asking.
Unfortuantely, she passed away.
I aborted my Camino early in the morning in Hontanas, took a taxi to Castrojeriz, a bus to Burgos, a bus to Bilbao and was able to get on a plane to Paris and onward from Paris and Cincinnati.

Last edited:
I had to carry-on from Bilbao through Paris to Cincinnati, it was a last minute flight to get to my sister's bedside who was in the ER, long story; anyway I had a corkscrew with a foil cutter knife on it in my bag. Wasn't even think about it until I arrived home in Cincinnati and was quizzed when I passed through the customs line scanner. I was home, mind you, and they made me give up the corkscrew, this after passing through a scanner in Spain and another scanner in France. Idiots!
Power corrupts. So sad.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Nail Clippers;
80 mm knife;

When I flew out of Helsinki to France with a 5" blade hunting knife in the 1970s, they put it into a little cardboard box that I got out on the other side -- now, it would seem unlikely to me that in 21st Century such service is provided, but maybe you could DIY it and plan to put those items in a cardboard box yourself (to be declared before embarkation BTW) ?

My advice though would be, go to the airport and ask there.

Cardboard mailing tube for the poles and 'sharps'........... check it in.
Exactly what we did, except we added the liquids (toiletry stiff mainly) in the tube as well. That way we weren't limited to the 3-oz bottles that TSA requires for carry-on. Just be sure to write your name and contact info on the outside of the tube.

My understanding is that is against all international regulations to take poles into the cabin because they can be used as a clubbing weapon. You might be lucky but really, you shouldn't be allowed to get lucky. You can buy walking poles for a few quid in almost every town on the Camino. You may like to have access to a Swiss Army knife but there's usually someone in an albergue who has such a thing you can borrow. If you want a knife for lunch you can nick one from a café somewhere.
If you own poles at the end, Santiago airport lets you check in the poles, so they go in the hold and not in the cabin, for free. But if you then change flights in, say, Paris, that rule doesn't apply, obvs.
Nail clippers? Buy them in Spain for tuppence.

My understanding is that is against all international regulations to take poles into the cabin because they can be used as a clubbing weapon. You might be lucky but really, you shouldn't be allowed to get lucky. You can buy walking poles for a few quid in almost every town on the Camino. You may like to have access to a Swiss Army knife but there's usually someone in an albergue who has such a thing you can borrow. If you want a knife for lunch you can nick one from a café somewhere.
If you own poles at the end, Santiago airport lets you check in the poles, so they go in the hold and not in the cabin, for free. But if you then change flights in, say, Paris, that rule doesn't apply, obvs.
Nail clippers? Buy them in Spain for tuppence.
Please,,, why would you recommend stealing!!!
If you need a knife,, take your own,, do Not steal one,,, from a Cafe or anyone on the Camino

You can't take a knife into an aircraft cabin. It's against the law. If you need one you either pay to have it in the hold or you acquire one while in Spain.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You can't take a knife into an aircraft cabin. It's against the law. If you need one you either pay to have it in the hold or you acquire one while in Spain.
Thanks "mmmmartin" the Swiss knife is being discarded, the Bars/Cafés/ Albergies will let me acquire a Knife and I shall return same, with thanks ... oops I mean 'Gracias'... the Camino provides.😏

Having your poles in your carry-on may have worked for you, that time. But I can assure you, it is not allowed in Canada, and from what I’ve heard on here and elsewhere, it is totally at the whim of airport personnel and their mood on the day. I would never risk it.

I use one pole that does not fold up small. I’ve taken it on many flights all over the world and have never once been asked about it. It goes in the overhead bin lengthwise.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I use one pole that does not fold up small. I’ve taken it on many flights all over the world and have never once been asked about it. It goes in the overhead bin lengthwise.
Hi Zodmot
I commence my CF SJPdP up-to Ormisson
this 21April.
Can you tell me what the weather was like when you were there?
Pyrenees in particular.

Thanks
BruceS
Sydney Australia

Nail Clippers;
80 mm knife;

Three caminos in three years - everything (bar phone/tablet) went into checked luggage and have had no problems (other than the delay at baggage claim at CHG Airport.

First time I bought a duffel bag and put the backpack in the duffel bag, and used the duffel bag to forward post-camino gear to SDC.

Second and third time, I ditched the duffel bag and just tied all the straps and clips (including the belly strap) together leaving as little loose strap as possible - again no problem, other than the 10 minutes it took me to release all the straps... Flew Qantas/emirates all three trips.

Hi Les
Qatar to Barcelona & return, for me.
Duffle Bag will be used.
It will probably get posted SJPdP to SDC.
Thanks
BruceS / Sydney

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Zodmot
I commence my CF SJPdP up-to Ormisson
this 21April.
Can you tell me what the weather was like when you were there?
Pyrenees in particular.

Thanks
BruceS
Sydney Australia

G’day Bruce,

Probably won’t surprise you that the weather at that time is variable. It was quite that last year. I intended to leave StJPdP on April 25 but wasn’t feeling well so delayed it a couple of days. The people who did go on April 25 over the top encountered a Winter storm that day and something like 50 or so had to be rescued because of dense fog, no visibility, and freezing conditions. The route over the top was closed until the day I left, April 28th. That day was stellar—clear, 12 degrees, sunny. It was cold up at Orisson, no one was outside drinking coffee but we all crammed inside. It seemed that once I was moving again outside it was ok. The light gloves went on and off all day. The nights were down near freezing those first few days but it warmed up nicely during the days. I said a sad farewell to a winter coat I brought along on day 3 or 4, didn’t ever miss it. There were people who spent the night at Orisson and they were all happy they did so. I went onto Roncesvailles.,

I’d add a strong suggestion that you do have a reservation that night at one of those two places. At Roncesvailles they turned away 100 people that night. I was part of a surge of people. Don’t know but it may have been a combination of having the route closed for a couple of days, the celebration of Mother’s Day in either France or Spain, or a weekend that was like the opening of the season. Kind of like that first weekend of AFL footy in Melbourne. Every place was booked those first few days all the way to Pamplona. After that, the surge dissipated and I was able always to get a bed without a reservation. I do remember some cold nights those first few weeks. Nice days. Only one day of rain. One day of strong wind. Otherwise very lovely. Layering of clothes is the key. I walked the whole Camino again in October last year. Other than pinching lots of delicious apples along the way, Springtime on the Camino can’t be beat for the sheer beauty of nature and farmland.

i do recommend staying the night at Beilari albergue in StJPdP before you depart. Very nice environment and you meet people that you will see throughout the Camino.

I spent 10 lovely years living and working in your country. I really miss it after coming back to the states in 2015. My last trip to SYD was memorable. That day my girlfriend and I heard the Sydney Symphony at the Opera House and then spent the remainder of our last day there at Bondi. An incredibly beautiful day. I however fell afoul of a big wave and had to be rescued. Ironically, the night before in our hotel we watched the shows “Bondi Rescue” and “Kings Cross” and the next day we got to know the very people in those episodes! Very professional folks and I was very grateful for their help. In the end they patched me up and nothing was seriously damaged other than my pride. For months I had to argue with MediBank who held that I must’ve had a preexisting condition and it couldn’t have been caused by a wave that tossed me 360 degrees and slammed me into the sand. The fact that I hadn’t seen a dr in two years was further proof to them that I must have been ill. Ha! They eventually paid.

Buen Camino Bruce!!!!!!!

Tom

Last edited:
If you want a knife for lunch you can nick one from a café somewhere.
Well, that's a way to guarantee that people living along tbe camino love pilgrims. 🤬

(I know ethical conduct is fast going out of fashion, but suggesting that is just plain bad advice. And doing it is seriously bad karma, which will eventually bear rotten fruit...)

G’day Bruce,

Probably won’t surprise you that the weather at that time is variable. It was quite that last year. I intended to leave StJPdP on April 25 but wasn’t feeling well so delayed it a couple of days. The people who did go on April 25 over the top encountered a Winter storm that day and something like 50 or so had to be rescued because of dense fog, no visibility, and freezing conditions. The route over the top was closed until the day I left, April 28th. That day was stellar—clear, 12 degrees, sunny. It was cold up at Orisson, no one was outside drinking coffee but we all crammed inside. It seemed that once I was moving again outside it was ok. The light gloves went on and off all day. The nights were down near freezing those first few days but it warmed up nicely during the days. I said a sad farewell to a winter coat I brought along on day 3 or 4, didn’t ever miss it. There were people who spent the night at Orisson and they were all happy they did so. I went onto Roncesvailles.,

I’d add a strong suggestion that you do have a reservation that night at one of those two places. At Roncesvailles they turned away 100 people that night. I was part of a surge of people. Don’t know but it may have been a combination of having the route closed for a couple of days, the celebration of Mother’s Day in either France or Spain, or a weekend that was like the opening of the season. Kind of like that first weekend of AFL footy in Melbourne. Every place was booked those first few days all the way to Pamplona. After that, the surge dissipated and I was able always to get a bed without a reservation. I do remember some cold nights those first few weeks. Nice days. Only one day of rain. One day of strong wind. Otherwise very lovely. Layering of clothes is the key. I walked the whole Camino again in October last year. Other than pinching lots of delicious apples along the way, Springtime on the Camino can’t be beat for the sheer beauty of nature and farmland.

i do recommend staying the night at Beilari albergue in StJPdP before you depart. Very nice environment and you meet people that you will see throughout the Camino.

I spent 10 lovely years living and working in your country. I really miss it after coming back to the states in 2015. My last trip to SYD was memorable. That day my girlfriend and I heard the Sydney Symphony at the Opera House and then spent the remainder of our last day there at Bondi. An incredibly beautiful day. I however fell afoul of a big wave and had to be rescued. Ironically, the night before in our hotel we watched the shows “Bondi Rescue” and “Kings Cross” and the next day we got to know the very people in those episodes! Very professional folks and I was very grateful for their help. In the end they patched me up and nothing was seriously damaged other than my pride. For months I had to argue with MediBank who held that I must’ve had a preexisting condition and it couldn’t have been caused by a wave that tossed me 360 degrees and slammed me into the sand. The fact that I hadn’t seen a dr in two years was further proof to them that I must have been ill. Ha! They eventually paid.

Buen Camino Bruce!!!!!!!

Tom
I will heed your advice and prepare to layer my Pyrenees clothing ... also to book Roncesvailles and 1 other before Pamplona (I have Orisson booked).
As a healthy fit octogenarian ... weather/weight are the critical factors I am keeping in mind.
I am glad you enjoyed Sydney. I moved here (from Toronto) in 1962 ... it has been all positive (well a 1978 surf rescue cured my desire to be an Ozzie surfer). With exception to our recent bush fires, Australia is a safe place ... common sense and living here has proved it to me. Snakes, spiders, sharks ... they make for sensational headlines .. so do car and plane accidents.

Cheers ...Buen Camino Zordmot

Well, that's a way to guarantee that people living along tbe camino love pilgrims. 🤬

(I know ethical conduct is fast going out of fashion, but suggesting that is just plain bad advice. And doing it is seriously bad karma, which will eventually bear rotten fruit...)
I avoid bad Karma by not stealing Camino kitchenware.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Nail Clippers;
80 mm knife;

No way are you going to be allowed to carry on a knife and scissors!! I got a backpack cover that doubles as a rain cover. Its lockable, I got it from Decathlon. I now put my pack in with baggage and take a small nylon bag with things I might need as cabin baggage.

Nail Clippers are fine for carry-on luggage. The other items I will buy in SJPDP and leave behind. Don't need any of my expensive/fancy stuff from home, so the cheapest I can find there will do just fine. I will not check my bag on the way there for sure. And if I buy anything I want to keep, I will mail a package home which is cheaper than paying for checked luggage.

I'm having the same concern about my poles. I've decided to forfeit bringing them and will instead pick up a pair of inexpensive ones from Decathlon once I arrive in Spain.

The other items will definitely give you trouble as well.

At Decathlon poles start at €3, a folding Opinel is €7. Scissors and nail clippers can be had at any farmacia. Corkscrew? Nah, just stick with Cava or Lambrusco.

You did EXACTLY what I did (used an IKEA blue plastic bag for the duffel). I go back two more times this year and will follow that practice again.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I bring a suitcase with my pre and post Camino things, since I like to do a bit of sightseeing before and after the Camino. I put my poles in that checked bag. If it goes missing its easy enough to replace them.
I was planning on doing this as well and then sending the almost empty bag to the end of the camino. Do you have any advice about this? Starting the Frances from SJPDP, should you send the bag via a courier to Roncevalles then mail it to the end? (Central Oregon and this will be camino #1)

I was planning on doing this as well and then sending the almost empty bag to the end of the camino. Do you have any advice about this? Starting the Frances from SJPDP, should you send the bag via a courier to Roncevalles then mail it to the end? (Central Oregon and this will be camino #1)
From SJPDP the easiest way is to use Express Bourricot.

Nice to see another Oregonian here.
Buen Camino!

We prefer not to check our backpacks on the way over but do check on the way home. For the trip back, more than once, we've bought a large inexpensive duffel bag from a China store. It will hold both our packs and the contents.

Flying to the Camino from the US, six times, I've never had problems with carrying on my folding hiking poles with rubber tips put on, but I've probably been very lucky. I always carry a folded up box and allow time to check the poles in case they are rejected in security. But, so far haven't had to use the box.

€149,-
Perhaps you could fly Qantas first class and ask if you can keep the cutlery . . .

View attachment 69992
How true! While lesser folk struggle with a plastic spork:)...obviously no terrorist would be seen dead travelling at the pointy end of the plane🙃

Nail Clippers;
80 mm knife;

I assemble a box to accommodate the pole , then tape a bag to the pole to hold knife etc. and check the box, its worked for five caminos,on the way back home i put all in the back pack and check it.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

From Australia, you will be stopped with duck tape and the tiniest cable ties ( both are potential restraints), and even those little children‘s scissors with the rounded blade ends ( a weapon, apparently) . I know from experience. I like being protected, but we must be the most paranoid place on the planet. America is probably on a par with us. It’s a sad indictment on the world these days. I pack my back and poles in one of those cheap $2 striped bags and duct tape it up for security, then throw the bag away at the other airport. Use small cable ties to temporarily secure your zips. You can buy those striped bags in Santiago for the return trip, or just ditch the poles and cable tie the pack for further travel.
Just don’t take the tape, ties, or scissors on the plane in a small carryon, it doesn’t go well, I know from experience. Ha!

Nail Clippers;
80 mm knife;

Hi Bruce,
Great question ! What BP are you using?
thanks

We flew from Au and yep can’t take poles and sharp objects on plane. I went to Kathmandu store and brought a luggage tracker. I took the majority of my hiking gear and back pack on plane as it would be hard to replace if lost at short notice. I place poles and sharp objects as check in. It’s a risk if lost in transit, but at least if lost then you only have to replace a few items, and as for cost to replace, well insurance is a must when going overseas.

€149,-
I checked in a very little bag with all those things plus poles. Left it at the hostel in Barcelona with my travel clothes as I stayed there again before flying back to Oz. I have never had probs with nail clippers but no luck with the other stuff.

Proper cutlery on Lufthansa economy. I was surprised. Food was good too.
Actually the only time I traveled in the pointy end it was with Lufthansa (splurged on Air miles). I didn't realize that the riffraff :) at the back were treated like civilized human beings as well. As you say, the food was outstanding. I just remembered, I 'enjoyed' business class on Air Canada once. The food was truly, disgustingly awful and the 'all in one' entertainment system for the pampered few went down when the plane went to off shore power prior to push back. I had been busy playing with the entertainment/light/air panel at the time, so I spent the 9 or so hours from YVR to LHR with a spot light over my head🙃.

Hi Bruce, lucky you off to the Camino 🤗.
Regarding your sharp items, if you have your first accommodation booked, you could post your items to your first address via mail air and pay for tracking. Or alternatively, send them to the pilgrims office in SJPP. Of course you’ll need to arrange either place to hold them for your arrival. Cheaper than having to replace your items - I use international post very frequently and have never had anything go astray. I’m an Aussie and go through customs pretty often - I wouldn’t chance it as they are really tough. The scissors and knife won’t get through. I pack my poles in my checked luggage. I like to do some extra travel as I have family overseas, so I pack a suitcase with clothes and shoes. Once in Spain I removed my poles, etc and stored the suitcase with Ivar, which was really efficient and inexpensive,
Buen Camino!!

From Australia, you will be stopped with duck tape and the tiniest cable ties ( both are potential restraints), and even those little children‘s scissors with the rounded blade ends ( a weapon, apparently) . I know from experience. I like being protected, but we must be the most paranoid place on the planet. America is probably on a par with us. It’s a sad indictment on the world these days. I pack my back and poles in one of those cheap $2 striped bags and duct tape it up for security, then throw the bag away at the other airport. Use small cable ties to temporarily secure your zips. You can buy those striped bags in Santiago for the return trip, or just ditch the poles and cable tie the pack for further travel.
Just don’t take the tape, ties, or scissors on the plane in a small carryon, it doesn’t go well, I know from experience. Ha!
I like your practical Camino approach ,,, but this old Turkey does not know where in Australia (particularly Sydney) to buy "those cheap $2 striped bags" ... any suggestions? Thanks BruceS

Nail Clippers;
80 mm knife;

The only sure way to get these items on to the plane is to pay for checked baggage. However, when I flew out of Santiago last June, they allowed me to check in my rucksack, as it had a walking pole in it. I'm doing the Camino in instalments so, as the pole only cost 5 euros from a shop in Portomarin, if it ever gets taken off me when checking in for flights in the future, I'll just have to buy a new one. By the way, I recently flew from Birmingham to Dusseldorf with carry-on luggage only and my nail clippers went through security without any comment.

I had a very small pair of scissors taken off me in Australia recently. I knew they were a safe size but I got told only allowed if the blades have curved ends not pointed ends! I have carried them on board lots of times before so you can never tell how strict security is going to be.
The same thing happened to me in Australia. I was only passing thru from the states to NZ. I had to go thru security, and my fold up scissors that have flown many miles in multiple countries were confiscated in Melbourne.

Security people often ask you to show them your transparent bag containing all of your liquids, you don't get the opportunity to put things through in a separate tray. It is actually a requirement that you place all of your liquids into one, approved bag for that reason. And if you are caught trying to sneak things through you can be in serious trouble. You know and I know that it's mostly theatre to make people think they are safe, however the reality is that the security people have the upper hand and it just isn't worth trying to cheat the system, not to mention the dishonesty of it.

Nail Clippers;
80 mm knife;

Lost my folding poles at security in Madrid airport returning to US😡

Do your poles fold? We flew from Toronto to Lisbon via TAP air. Our poles fold in three and fit easily inside our backpacks and there were no issues. We checked with security the day before we flew out to make sure so there were no unpleasant surprises on the day of our flight.

I like your practical Camino approach ,,, but this old Turkey does not know where in Australia (particularly Sydney) to buy "those cheap $2 striped bags" ... any suggestions? Thanks BruceS
You get them in the $2 stores or Asian market shops.if Sydney go to paddys markets

Just make sure you have a pack large enough to encase the poles within your back pack.

I’ve taken my carbon fibre poles from Canada to many countries in Europe, Japan, North & South America and elsewhere to distance walk and so far I’ve not had a problem. Watching the x-ray scanners I can see that they don’t even show up on their security screens. Even visual checks haven’t been a problem. Guess you have to either check your gear or just trust that things will work out. As others have said your knife is too long, but I’ve carried a small Swiss knife that also has scissors on many of these trips the past two years without a problem. Allowed in North America, Europe and South America. I place it openly in the tray with my liquids. Hope this helps.

Nail Clippers;
80 mm knife;

Put all those questionable items in a separate pouch/bag/container and check it through at the ticket counter and retrieve it at the other end.

Nail Clippers;
80 mm knife;

I had a Swiss army knife and a miniscule knife from a Swiss Army creditcard tool (two separate occasions) confiscated when I accidentally left them in my carry-on backpack.

You will get many descriptions and conflicting advice, and you eon't know for sure until you reach the security screening. I suggest packing those things in a parcel or bag to be discarded. Check that bag and carry everything else in your backpack, into the cabin.
This is excellent advice. Airport security Is not debatable ..... poles, knives are not allowed in the cabin. Easy to book in a tube which is disposable on the way there and on leaving Santiago I have my pack wrapped in plastic and check it into the hold.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.