• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Processionary caterpillars are DANGEROUS!!!

Derek Booth

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances March 2019
Cam. Port. April 2024
I am in contact with several non Camino walkers who are currently in the Iberian Peninsular.

They are reporting that the Processionary caterpillers are falling out of their nests and starting their march across the landscape. Whilst these reports are for the more temperate parts of Spain and Portugal, I remember when doing the C. Frances in March, they were on the move. It could be that those doing the C. Portugese or Via de la Plata may come into contact with them within the next month.

For those who may be flying in from all over the World to do their personal Camino, or even those who are from Europe but unaware of this pest you should be aware of the danger posed..

The caterpiller is created from eggs laid by a moth which spins a gossamer nest, particularly in conifer trees.
At the approprite stage of life, the caterpillers drop out of the nest onto the ground and start their march, nose to tail across the landscape. The caterpillers are covered in very fine 'hairs' which can pierce the skin and cause extreme irritation. You should not pick them up and give them a very wide berth. Domestic animals are particularly prone to injury as a result of their inquisitiveness.

ADDENDUM

It may come as a surprise to readers of this wonderful facility, (ivar's website) that not everyone is aware of either the content, or Shock!!! of it's actual existence!

As someone walking any Camino over the next few months, I think it would be appropriate if, when walking and seeing the nests or even worse the caterpillars themselves, you bring them to the attention of your fellow travellers. I was a solitary walker but still was able to point out the danger to those in my 'bubble'.

A couple of photo's for you

1675364014804.jpeg

1675364059942.jpeg

Something NOT to do!!!

images

Stay safe!

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
First came across them near Malaga up in the hills.
Walking through woodland (not my country but the woods) my little girl Jess was 2 at the time and ran towards them; an old Spanish guy scooped her up!
We thought OMG what's he doing!
But several no es bueno and pointing at them got the message across.

Woody

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks for the important reminder. A search will reveal that we have some threads about it, e.g. this one, but yours is a particularly good, concise explanation. I have seen them a number of times while walking the camino - I can't remember exactly when and where, but it must have been in March-April or October November. I knew not to touch them, but am glad to learn more.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Somewhere north-east of Jimena de la Frontera, heading for Ubrique, we encountered a forestry crew. The heated argument that was occurring was way beyond the ruckus you’ll always hear between the friends in bars. There wasn’t an obvious way around them and I definitely wasn’t going to try and push through. There was a guy waving a chain-saw and he wasn’t happy. There was the usual crew, all in their high-viz and safety gear and a guy in a suit and high-viz vest ( and the give-away white helmet). My scatalogical Spanish was reasonably good so I could tell this was a real argument, not just banter, but apart from “do it yourself” I couldn’t make out much. Then I noticed all those spider-web clumps in the trees. The patch they were supposed to be clearing was infested with processional moth.

I called out “es este el camino a Ubrique?” The ruckus died down. They waved us through. We made it to Ubrique. I’ve no idea if white-helmet made it home.

Nasty little b*ggars them caterpillars

I saw these several days in April, 2022. If memory serves me they were found mostly between Estrella and Burgos. Rather hilarious creatures.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am in contact with several non Camino walkers who are currently in the Iberian Peninsular.

They are reporting that the Processionary caterpillers are falling out of their nests and starting their march across the landscape. Whilst these reports are for the more temperate parts of Spain and Portugal, I remember when doing the C. Frances in March, they were on the move. It could be that those doing the C. Portugese or Via de la Plata may come into contact with them within the next month.

Stay safe!
Ugh! Thank you for this bit of information of things I never considered. I'm allergic to caterpillars (no really) and develop really bad asthma and am unable to breathe if I am in an area with an abundance of the little creatures. I'm making a mental note to not walk in late winter/early spring.

Oruga procesionaria, VERY dangerous, dogs step on the caterpillars or the hairs which irritates their pads, they lick the pad, hair is transferred to tongue which eventually drops off or the dog dies - nasty. It happened to one of our dogs. Was riding through the woods south of Cadiz on Tuesday and have never seen so may orugas, 1000s of 'em. Didn't realise they lived further north, stay well clear! Can cause serious allergic reaction in humans.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Oruga procesionaria, VERY dangerous, dogs step on the caterpillars or the hairs which irritates their pads, they lick the pad, hair is transferred to tongue which eventually drops off or the dog dies - nasty. It happened to one of our dogs. Was riding through the woods south of Cadiz on Tuesday and have never seen so may orugas, 1000s of 'em. Didn't realise they lived further north, stay well clear! Can cause serious allergic reaction in humans.
Dogs also sniff them and the hairs go into their throat and lungs which can cause death.

In April 2015 I saw masses of them on the roadway through the woods between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega and also along woods on the way to Rabanal.

Also be aware that you might come across the oak variant as well. Both have the same effect if inhaled or touched. Thankfully in the UK we only have the oak version to deal with and they are only really found in the South.

Their are several different moths/caterpillars in the Thaumetopoea genus and all are generally toxic to humans and animals.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Damn, and I thought vipers, bees/wasps and the huge flies were what to look out for. Adding these predatory caterpillars to the growing list of critters to stay away from.
Derek, this picture is it the earlier stages of the web or something else entirely? Taken in early November on the Invierno near Mirador de las Perdices.

Attachments

• AE3703A0-3969-429A-BB32-75C4FCFA516B.jpeg
    AE3703A0-3969-429A-BB32-75C4FCFA516B.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 125
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Damn, and I thought vipers, bees/wasps and the huge flies were what to look out for. Adding these predatory caterpillars to the growing list of critters to stay away from.
Derek, this picture is it the earlier stages of the web or something else entirely? Taken in early November on the Invierno near Mirador de las Perdices.

Those are just funnel-web spider webs... no worries.

In the southern USA , we call them web worms
Are you sure that web worms are the same as the oak processionary and the pine processionary? I am not an expert but they appear to be different.

I live in Europe and when I was younger I had never heard of these moths and their caterpillars but in recent years I have become aware of the existence and dangers of the oak processionary in particular. They have spread geographically and multiplied significantly, and I know that, at least in some European countries, there are large scale efforts of pest control to combat them in public parks in towns and cities as well as general health warnings when they become active during the third stadium of the larvae development.

Typically, 20-30 caterpillars move in one long row, nose to tail so to speak, across a street or path, and from afar it looks like a snake. They can be seen in late spring/early summer in northern parts and earlier in the year in southern parts of Europe. I've not seen them in Spain but I saw them on the way while walking through France.

According to Wikipedia, the oak processionaries were accidentally introduced to the UK in 2005, almost certainly as eggs on live oak plants imported from continental Europe. See also Forest Research UK (very good information).

Last edited:
It's a difficult one to answer.
The photo I provided is somewhat confusing as it appears that the 'nest' could be attached to broom, an entirely different plant from what I have regularly seen which is that the nest is normally attached to either the topmost branch of a conifer tree or attached to to the outermost branches of a conifer.
Having said that, the shape in the photo I have provided, (there are many more on Google) is very accurate. Once seen, never forgotten.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Found this on the web for what to do if you get bit or stung by (or touch?) the nasty little critters. The info is in Spanish but, in a nutshell, get to a doctor asap. La picadura can cause painful blisters on the skin, conjunctivitis, nausea and vomiting, headaches, as well as serious respiratory issues, some kind of arthritis and even kidney issues. The last few are worst-case scenarios, and the sting, says the article, won’t kill you, but if you are one of the unlucky ones to have a severe reaction, it isn’t good. In the meantime, antihistamine creams or tablets (Benadryl comes to mind) and cold compresses should help with inflammation. Sound like nasty little critter, for sure.

And some further studies for those interested!

Encountered signs warning about caterpillars all along the VF last summer in the forests before Laon and around Corbeny and Reims. Did not see any critters but did ask a local about the warning signs and they were very clear that should I see signs of cocoons in the trees or caterpillars on the ground I should not come in contact with them. They even recommended wearing a mask when hiking through the Forêt de Saint-Gobain and other forested parts of the VF.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I walked the Camino Frances last May. Thankfully, I didn't encounter any of these little buggers. Thank you, Derek, for providing this very useful information!

Thanks for sharing this info! I saw them on the Camino last March between Castrillo de los Polvazares and Santa Catalina de Somoza. Took a photo but wasn't tempted to touch them.IMG_20220321_135230798.jpg

They are present in the Pamplona area as well as near Bilbao on the Norte. I saw a procession at least one hundred years long along a major roadway and every time a car decimated the line, more fell into place to continue the direction of movement. Fascinating. No need to fear them as they are slower than even the most hobbled or hungover pilgrim...😵...and won’t follow you home. However, definitely leave them alone.

Here north of the Pyrenees, (southern France), you will find these charming creatures mainly in pine trees but also in other trees. You will see white filaments hanging from pine needles: those are nests and usually climb up the poor trees when Spring arrives in procession lines. If let unchecked, these nests will ultimately kill the trees.

Last edited:
Are you sure that web worms are the same as the oak processionary and the pine processionary? I am not an expert but they appear to be different.

I live in Europe and when I was younger I had never heard of these moths and their caterpillars but in recent years I have become aware of the existence and dangers of the oak processionary in particular. They have spread geographically and multiplied significantly, and I know that, at least in some European countries, there are large scale efforts of pest control to combat them in public parks in towns and cities as well as general health warnings when they become active during the third stadium of the larvae development.

Typically, 20-30 caterpillars move in one long row, head to toe so to speak, across a street or path, and from afar it looks like a snake. They can be seen in late spring/early summer in northern parts and earlier in the year in southern parts of Europe. I've not seen them in Spain but I saw them on the way while walking through France.

According to Wikipedia (I did not check other sources), the oak processionaries were accidentally introduced to the UK in 2005, almost certainly as eggs on live oak plants imported from continental Europe.
Web worms are not the same as these processionary moths. The web worms we have in the Southern US are harmless except for stripping hardwood trees of their leaves.

The critters itch like crazy…apparently it is the fur of these animals that create the itch. Having arrived here years ago, I experienced them. Calamine lotion that helps to calm down the itching such as when you come into contact with poison ivy or poison soumack won’t calm these itches, and the itching lasts for days, not for hours.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
There is a very detailed history and discussion about this caterpillar/moth which goes back to 77AD according to Wickipedia . apparently the pests are harmful to just about everything but they too have their predators. Their recent expansion is due to Global Warming. Yep it is us again causing the problem. Enjoy your day. See you in July.

For those who may be flying in from all over the World to do their personal Camino, or even those who are from Europe but unaware of this pest you should be aware of the danger posed..

The caterpiller is created from eggs laid by a moth which spins a gossamer nest, particularly in conifer trees.
At the approprite stage of life, the caterpillers drop out of the nest onto the ground and start their march, nose to tail across the landscape. The caterpillers are covered in very fine 'hairs' which can pierce the skin and cause extreme irritation. You should not pick them up and give them a very wide berth. Domestic animals are particularly prone to injury as a result of their inquisitiveness.

View attachment 140768

View attachment 140769

Something NOT to do!!!

images

Stay safe!
Thank you - a very helpful warning.

View attachment 140768

View attachment 140769

Something NOT to do!!!

images

Stay safe!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
There is a very detailed history and discussion about this caterpillar/moth which goes back to 77AD according to Wickipedia . apparently the pests are harmful to just about everything but they too have their predators. Their recent expansion is due to Global Warming
The life cycle of moth, larvae and caterpillar of the pine processionary is definitely related to temperature - just for the benefit of those who may not be aware of this ... :cool:. The Spanish Wikipedia article has this summary [machine translated and edited]:
  • Upper threshold: At temperatures above 30 °C the swarming behaviour disappears and the caterpillars abandon their colony. At temperatures above 32 °C the caterpillars die off.

• Developmental threshold: Between 10 and 20 °C, the caterpillars continue to feed and build the nest, but do not grow and develop, so that the 4th larval stage can last up to 4 to 5 months. When the temperature inside the nest rises above 20-25 °C, the caterpillars become active and develop normally.

• Activity threshold: Temperatures below 10 °C inside the nest stop colony activity. When nights are very cold, the caterpillars come out to feed during the day.

• Lower threshold: Below -12 °C whole colonies may die.
Caterpillars in marching configuration are seen normally seen at the end of winter in Spain, ie February to April, and the moth itself in the summer in June.

Here in Valencia we had some in the garden, in a conifer for sure. Had to have the tree treated. Result... Expensive but more so for the caterpillar!!! But have seen them more in the north of the country. Just be careful

Here north of the Pyrenees, (southern France), you will find these charming creatures mainly in pine trees but also in other trees. You will see white filaments hanging from pine needles: those are nests and usually climb up the poor trees when Spring arrives in procession lines. If let unchecked, these nests will ultimately kill the trees.
Practically the whole canopy would have to be covered to stop photosynthesis. Have you found any scientific studies about this (I'm asking out of interest, not criticism)? Without the scientific proof there are many other things that could have brought an early end to the tree.

Practically the whole canopy would have to be covered to stop photosynthesis. Have you found any scientific studies about this (I'm asking out of interest, not criticism)? Without the scientific proof there are many other things that could have brought an early end to the tree.
Scientific studies? No, just observation for several trees that were infested by the caterpillars that literally chocked them.

I have added an addendum to the OP.
Could I ask all those who have contributed or read this thread to have further read please.

Without the scientific proof there are many other things that could have brought an early end to the tree.
There are hundreds of websites with good information about the pine processionary moth and the oak processionary moth and their caterpillars in English, French, German and Spanish on the web, and probably in a few other languages, too. I have not yet read that the white silken nests strangle trees but if that is what someone has seen with their own eyes and drawn this conclusion I’d not dare to question it.

May I recommend again the excellent info on https://www.forestresearch.gov.uk/

Pine processionary moth caterpillars feed on the needles of pine trees and some other conifer tree species, and in large numbers they can severely defoliate trees. This can weaken the trees, making them more vulnerable to attack by other pests or diseases, and to environmental stresses such as drought or flood.

Pilgrims may want to know that even when the caterpillars have moved on to the next stage of their lives their left behind nests that can fall to the ground eventually still pose a health thread as the numerous poisonous tiny hairs may be left behind. So keep a distance and don’t touch.

The critters itch like crazy…apparently it is the fur of these animals that create the itch. Having arrived here years ago, I experienced them. Calamine lotion that helps to calm down the itching such as when you come into contact with poison ivy or poison soumack won’t calm these itches, and the itching lasts for days, not for hours.
A topical antihistamine cream, such as Benadryl, and oral antihistamines, again Benadryl, and perhaps Chlor-Trimeton may help. And there are topical corticosteroids available in several different forms and strengths, from mild and sold over the counter to very potent and requiring a prescription. Not everyone is going to react the same to these little suckers, so there’s no “one size fits all” approach. Unfortunately, you won’t know how you are going to react until you do. So, check with your doc first if you’re very concerned; be vigilant on the trail, and carry some form of antihistamines, if you aren’t negatively affected by them, of course.

Thanks for the important reminder. A search will reveal that we have some threads about it, e.g. this one, but yours is a particularly good, concise explanation. I have seen them a number of times while walking the camino - I can't remember exactly when and where, but it must have been in March-April or October November. I knew not to touch them, but am glad to learn more.
Yes, I was aware of these creatures from reading a thread previously posted on here.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have seen them crossing the trail on the CF in March. I stopped to watch them-slowly moving-across the ground, but aswith all bugs,save perhaps butterflies, no desire to touch them. .

ADDENDUM

It may come as a surprise to readers of this wonderful facility, (ivar's website) that not everyone is aware of either the content, or Shock!!! of it's actual existence!

As someone walking any Camino over the next few months, I think it would be appropriate if, when walking and seeing the nests or even worse the caterpillars themselves, you bring them to the attention of your fellow travellers. I was a solitary walker but still was able to point out the danger to those in my 'bubble'.

View attachment 140768

View attachment 140769

Something NOT to do!!!

images

Stay safe!
Look like American tent caterpillars. Nasty buggers. I have seen caterpillars migrating but never these.!

In Spain there are many people who think that the traps for the butterfly males with feminine pheromones hanging from the pine branches are artificial nests.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Look like American tent caterpillars. Nasty buggers. I have seen caterpillars migrating but never these.!
Lurch! Dang. Haven’t seen you since the days at Stetson. You look 🤙🏽

We have them here in our neighborhood. The caterpillars are still asleep for now, but when they see the nests the farmers pull down the branch where the nest is and cut it off, then either stomp the nest (and sleeping caterpillars) or throw it in the fire.
When you see a parade on the move and you're wearing closed shoes, stomp them all.
I do not like killing living things, but these creatures are invasive, aka "no damn good."

stomp them all
I’d have needed a mid-sized midwestern town of professional cloggers to stamp out the unbelievably long line of them near Lumbier! Even the passing cars couldn’t make a dent in their numbers as they crossed the highway.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
There are hundreds of websites with good information about the pine processionary moth and the oak processionary moth and their caterpillars in English, French, German and Spanish on the web, and probably in a few other languages, too. I have not yet read that the white silken nests strangle trees but if that is what someone has seen with their own eyes and drawn this conclusion I’d not dare to question it.

May I recommend again the excellent info on https://www.forestresearch.gov.uk/

Pine processionary moth caterpillars feed on the needles of pine trees and some other conifer tree species, and in large numbers they can severely defoliate trees. This can weaken the trees, making them more vulnerable to attack by other pests or diseases, and to environmental stresses such as drought or flood.

Pilgrims may want to know that even when the caterpillars have moved on to the next stage of their lives their left behind nests that can fall to the ground eventually still pose a health thread as the numerous poisonous tiny hairs may be left behind. So keep a distance and don’t touch.
When I started this thread I knew there were posts on here.
However, the makeup of the thousands of peringrinos flying in from all over the World on, what could be for them, a once on a lifetime trip, means that they would have very little chance of knowing about these creatures.
I for one had no knowledge of them until I came across them (literally) on a campsite in Spain.
On my walk, Dina and Sean from Denver had no knowledge, Peter from Austria was unaware and Johanna and Leah from Leipzig were intrigued.
Knowledge is power.

When I started this thread I knew there were posts on here.
However, the makeup of the thousands of peringrinos flying in from all over the World on, what could be for them, a once on a lifetime trip, means that they would have very little chance of knowing about these creatures.
I for one had no knowledge of them until I came across them (literally) on a campsite in Spain.
On my walk, Dina and Sean from Denver had no knowledge, Peter from Austria was unaware and Johanna and Leah from Leipzig were intrigued.
Knowledge is power.
I count myself as one of those with no previous knowledge of the these caterpillars, but I sure do now. I’ve got feelers out to some bug aficionado friends back home in México to see if we have anything similar there. Hope not.

In Spain there are many people who think that the traps for the butterfly males with feminine pheromones hanging from the pine branches are artificial nests.
I'd be curious to know whether people who grew up and live in Spain or in the larger Mediterranean area have, in general, always been aware of the processionary caterpillars and their poisonous hairs and danger to the health of humans, animals and trees, or whether it's more like further north in Europe where we have learnt about them only in recent years, due to them spreading up north and becoming more of a problem, apparently due to milder winters and better environmental living conditions for them, and apparently also due to a lack of predators?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'd be curious to know whether people who grew up and live in Spain or in the larger Mediterranean area have, in general, always been aware of the processionary caterpillars and their poisonous hairs and danger to the health of humans, animals and trees, or whether it's more like further north in Europe where we have learnt about them only in recent years, due to them spreading up north and becoming more of a problem, apparently due to milder winters and better environmental living conditions for them, and apparently also due to a lack of predators?
I don't remember when was the first time I saw them here in the pine forests of Madrid and Mediterranean areas, more than 30 years ago. In north Spain, more recently, I have seen forests very bad affected in the Basque Country (radiata pines).

I read on internet that the problem must be serious in the Canary Islands because the pino canario is one of their favourite. In Galicia the pines are pinaster and radiata . I don't remember have seen forests with serious problems yet.

Even our wonderful host, Ivar, was unaware of them, according to his post early in this thread.
Perhaps the powers that be in SdC have banned them!

Even our wonderful host, Ivar, was unaware of them, according to his post early in this thread.
Ivar lives in Santiago now but he grew up a long way north of there. I know that climate change is slowly extending their range but I don't think they have got as far as Norway yet!

Then the powers that be in S de C must have a lotta pull!

Wasps important to look out for. Especially if you are like me, i didn't know I was allergic. Found out the hard way.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Wasps important to look out for. Especially if you are like me, i didn't know I was allergic. Found out the hard way.
Some folks shouldn’t take it, but Benadryl tablets have worked for me for just those kind of encounters. I, however, only have mild reactions to getting stung. A buddy of mine down in México carries an Epi-pen wherever he goes, as he now suffers from severe reactions to bee, wasp and hornet stings, and will go into anaphylactic shock without it. As his reactions got gradually worse with each sting, he went to an allergist who prescribed the jab for him. It has saved his nalgas on more than one occasion. He’s a magnet for those stinging little guyz.

Very surprised to see these caterpillars so early in the season here in southwest France. Usually it’s not until late March.
Another very dry summer expected.

Caterpillar nests in trees.

Attachments

• 1756F64C-E8AA-4F9C-B67D-774250ACE9FB.jpeg
    1756F64C-E8AA-4F9C-B67D-774250ACE9FB.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 32
Some folks shouldn’t take it, but Benadryl tablets have worked for me for just those kind of encounters. I, however, only have mild reactions to getting stung. A buddy of mine down in México carries an Epi-pen wherever he goes, as he now suffers from severe reactions to bee, wasp and hornet stings, and will go into anaphylactic shock without it. As his reactions got gradually worse with each sting, he went to an allergist who prescribed the jab for him. It has saved his nalgas on more than one occasion. He’s a magnet for those stinging little guyz.
So yah, now I carry Benadryl and an EPI pen. Not saying everyone has to.

That is cobwebs with dew. Notice that it is flat and on the weeds. The processionary critters do look a lot like webworms, and build blobs of silk in trees like them, but these "webworms" are toxic. I saw a few of them on the Frances in May 2014.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Here in Valencia we had some in the garden, in a conifer for sure. Had to have the tree treated. Result... Expensive but more so for the caterpillar!!! But have seen them more in the north of the country. Just be careful
Just moved to Valencia I've a big garden with huge pines. Always worried about them I sweaped them once clothes on and I was bed ridden for a week. Horrible things.

Very surprised to see these caterpillars so early in the season here in southwest France. Usually it’s not until late March.
Another very dry summer expected.

Caterpillar nests in trees.
Took this pic on the descent of Buspol to the dam on the Primitivo. They are around. Just be aware!

Tio Tel caterpillars.JPG

I make no apologies for 'Bumping' this thread.
I apologise for I note that I am six weeks later than when I posted this thread last year.

If you're about to visit Spain or Portugal for the first time, you may be unaware of these little blighters.

Have a read and please, do not touch.

Buen Camino.

Thank you for bumping it - this is a good warning for those who are on the Camino or will be walking soon.
There were many on the Mozarabe a couple of weeks ago but not so prolific to be in their lines. Definitely increasing in number after very cold days. What was strange was that they seemed to have a route implanted in themselves. I rescued three from a big puddle (there were many drowned) but they turned and went straight back into the water. Bizarre!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
In the southern USA , we call them web worms
Webworms can't hurt humans, animals, or healthy plants. Although their webs are unsightly in trees, their damage is considered insignificant to established plants because the insect doesn't feed on the leaf veins, plus the leaves are about to fall off anyway.🙏🏻

I have to say that I have never heard of these….
Thé nests have erupted as early as early March this year…I first saw a line of these caterpillars on a road near MONTESQUIOU on the Chemin Français, south of AUCH (late February, and very, very early).
Let me tell you that the « hairspray » of these buggers itch like crazy. I have found that using very hot water will calm the itching.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back