• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Profile Map - Piemont route

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:

Attachments

• Altitudes-CheminDu Piemont.gif
    Altitudes-CheminDu Piemont.gif
    35 KB · Views: 1,311
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks sil. This route is on my 'possibilities' list, and I haven't com across anything like this for it.
Margaret

A few years ago this was my next Camino! I bought a guide book, started saving maps, diaries etc and three of us were going to start at Narbonne and walk to St Jean.
Then one of my friends couldn't get sufficient leave from work so we changed to walking from Lourdes to Pamplona.
Fatma has used the guide book - which mustbe a bit out of date now - so I'm sure she'll be happy to share her experience with you.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
There's a brand new guidebook by Lepere Editions that is in the process of being published right now. I pre - ordered it and expect o see it in the mail anytime soon! And I 've bookmarked quite a few of Fatma's threads on the route! As well as yours on the Aragones!
Margaret

I've been looking at that one too, but fear it may be too hilly for the mountain bike. Your profile has considerable smoothing.

The route cuts across the alluvial fan of the Pyrenees, with one short steep climb after another.

Download the .kmz file, and open it in Google Earth. Right click on the file to view a profile. If you scroll to the bottom of my attached photo you'll see a detailed profile.

Attachments

• Piedmont kmz.kmz
    34.6 KB · Views: 94
  • piemont.JPG
    piemont.JPG
    281.5 KB · Views: 975
Thanks newfy, very interesting to look at. Two questions. Can a file like that be looked at, zoomed in on using an iPad that isn't connected to the internet, or do you need to be connected to the internet? And can you tell me if you had to make that file laboriously yourself, or did you find it online somewhere?
Margaret

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I got that data off a wonderful website. I combined 23 stages of GPS files and then converted them to Google earth, so there was some labor involved.

http://vppyr.free.fr/vpp-index-etapes.php

You need internet connections to use Google Earth or maps, and the iPad is not great for that, but you can download that file to various GPS apps, and download maps, and then use it offline. I recently drove all around Cuba with an iPad as a GPS. GPS units are illegal there, but iPads are not---geesh.

I use a Dakota 20 GPS with a micro SD basemap of Europe when on the trail---long battery life, waterproof, daylight visable screen etc. You don't need that on the Frances, but it is really wonderfull for the less travelled routes. Send me a PM if you need details.

Newf

If I remember well, the guidebook principally followed minor roads and not the GR trail which might have been inaugurated later on only...
Prices have increased what is normal.

But it was very useful for background information as to the region, the history and the culture.

If a new guidebook would follow the waymarked camino, this would of course be precious for all pilgrims to come. This camino was so beautiful.

If you need some specific information, don't hesitate.

Bon chemin

PS and from time to time, I even met cyclists on the GR trail...

it is a very beautiful route. and it does ups and downs very regularly, often to avoid as much minor roads as possible. so, I suppose, if you want a less strenuous route for a bike, for example, why not buy a, let's say, 50.000 map(s) and follow those minor routes?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back