• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • Hi Please note that the posts below are created automatically when a new Resource is created in the Camino Resource section. Users can only make replies to the topics below, not create new threads.

Buen Camino!
    Ivar

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Profile maps of all 34 stages of the Camino Frances

Profile maps of all 34 stages of the Camino Frances 2013-08-31

No permission to download

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
ivar submitted a new resource:

Profile maps of all 34 stages of the Camino Frances - Profile maps of all 34 stages of the Camino Frances

View attachment 6009
The document shows the profile maps of each of the 34 stages from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela, with the height differences on each stage. Very usefull to get an idea of which stages are flat (and easy), and when to get ready for some uphill walking.

It seems the document was created by the French pilgrim association.

Read more about this resource...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks for this very handy map Ivar.. very useful for people like me who 'get' visuals more than altitude-by-numbers ;)

very useful for people like me who 'get' visuals more than altitude-by-numbers ;)

IMHO those profile maps are very deceptive, misleading, because at first sight it seems like you'll have to climb (as rock-climbing) instead of just walking uphil. It's not that steep, believe me! :)

Ultreia!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Having seen and used these maps, I need to put just two cents in. Really, only two cents this time.

It appears that the individual images of some stages were compressed so they would fit on the page. If you ever played with re-sizing a photograph in a word processing program, you know what I mean. Thus, if you squeeze the photo smaller horizontally, so you can fit an extra stage on a "line," the image will be distorted and the vertical cross-section will be amplified to look even more steep than it is. I think the issue is as simple as this. Whoever authored these images (it was NOT Ivar) did not explain that in the fine print.

This said, just accept the images as a not-always to scale representation of what to expect. Remember, on the Camino there is ALWAYS another "UP."

Buen Camino

Tom (from Virginia)

No profile map can contain enough detail to tell if if your next step is like a stair riser or a gentle road sloping upward. Some expectations for advance knowledge need to be lowered a bit and contain some perspective. If you have 1,200 meters of elevation change, expect to sweat a bit!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The 34 profiles are great but there is a glaring omission, which I have not been able to find following extensive searches elsewhere. That is a profile of the Charlemagne route to Roncesville from St Jean Pied de Port. Is there such?

IMHO those profile maps are very deceptive, misleading, because at first sight it seems like you'll have to climb (as rock-climbing) instead of just walking uphil. It's not that steep, believe me! :)

Ultreia!
Hiya it's a guide only it's just showing what the climb is like for those who ate not used to hill walking ..I do agree tho that it can be a little off putting for those who haven't done anything like this worst part really is from SJPD to Orrison then the rest is ok I was surprised at the amount of Tarmac there was to be honest but the view from the top is unforgettable that 380 degree ....magic

Hiya it's a guide only it's just showing what the climb is like for those who ate not used to hill walking ..I do agree tho that it can be a little off putting for those who haven't done anything like this worst part really is from SJPD to Orrison then the rest is ok I was surprised at the amount of Tarmac there was to be honest but the view from the top is unforgettable that 380 degree ....magic
EXACTLY :D;):)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello,

This document was the lightest item in my kit, but also one of the most useful ! I used it for knowing what to expect and for choosing my stops as these 34 ones were quite adequate.

Obviously, the scales are not the same ones for altitude and distance, as always for this type of representation. However the scales are identical throughout the sheet. Just take the time to get used to it.

Last edited:
Hello,

This document was the lightest item in my kit, but also one of the most useful ! I used it for knowing what to expect and for choosing my stops as these 34 ones were quite adequate.

Obviously, the scales are not the same ones for altitude and distance, as always for this type of representation. However the scales are identical throughout the sheet. Just take the time to get used to it.

Yes agree,but it can be off putting for someone who first sees it we started in SJPD and although we went up over the Pyrenees I was petrified that I was not going to be able to do it because the charts made it look so high and such a steep climb when in reality it wasn't that bad I did struggle a little to Orrison but I think that was because I was afraid it was going to get worse the higher we went lol and it didn't also would you happen to know why we were told that the Pyrenees route is not the original and yet at Rosconvales they said it was,the owner of our Albergue at SJPD told us this and also tried to convince us to go the road way to Rosconvales !!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
ivar submitted a new resource:

Profile maps of all 34 stages of the Camino Frances - Profile maps of all 34 stages of the Camino Frances

Read more about this resource...

Hi Ivar, found an up-to-date terrain map for each stage, distrubuted from the pilgrim office in SJPdP.
Available for download at

You would hope the terrain doesn't change with time :)

I don't like that the route is viewed with the beginning (East) on the left. and you travel to the right to go West. So the map's perspective is with South at the top. This is the opposite of every map since Mercatur.
Good for Australians, I guess, they finally get to be on top but I find it off-putting..

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'd suggest a slightly different title: "profile maps of the Camino Francés."
(so no one gets the idea that they have to do it in those particular stages.)

How can I get a hold of one of these maps?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back