• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Profound Experiences

ACL

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, Camino Portugese, Camino Zagora
I'd like to hear about all your profound experiences on the camino.

I'd have to say the most beautiful night for me on the camino was staying with David whom many of you know, during that time he had a host with him called Andrea, who as we arrived welcomed us with food and water..

We spent the evening discussing many things, and then were offered a place to sleep,

They took us around to the back of the building and there were these incredibly cosy rooms in the back, with lots of mattresses bunk beds, lit up with candles.. It was magical..

Andrea brought some mattresses outside and as we lay back we witnessed a magnificent meteor shower.

Andrea told us stories full of metaphors, and Dan (my walking partner) offered to wash my feet.
It had been a hard hot day. But for the first time I felt so free and clear.

The first of many.
Buen Camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have described this experience before on this forum, so apologies to those who may have read this before.

While walking the Norte in 2013, I stayed at the monastery in Sobrado and attended the evening service which had beautiful Gregorian songs sung by the monks. There is a huge disused church there, the size of a cathedral and it is completely empty and open to the elements. Early in the morning I walked around inside, and my walking stick made a noise on the floor which echoed through the central dome, reverberating around and around. I tried it again, amazed at the acoustics. I am completely tone deaf and have no musical ability whatsoever, but in order to try the acoustics I raised my voice and sang a note. It too echoed and reverberated all through the dome, so completely entranced, I sang more. I cannot describe what happened next other to say that it was a completely unique experience which I have never had before, but for a moment I could sense the spiritual memories of the building, hearing mass being sung by the choir, smell the incense, see the light of the candles and feel the deep atmosphere of the monastery in its past. It was deeply moving and I stood there weeping, totally overcome. It was by far the most powerful spiritual experience I have ever had.

In contrast, when I arrived in the cathedral in Santiago, I was told not to let my walking stick, which had accompanied my foot fall for 800 kms make a noise when it touched the floor!

Although one might need to ring their bell in winter
the Roncesvalles monastery is always open to shelter pilgrims as it has done for one thousand years.

January 24, 2009, I walked 18 k in 5 hours through strong wind, heavy rain, sleet and eventually dense snow up the Valcarlos route to the almost mythic monastery of Roncesvalles! Saw few people and no other pilgrims; I would be the only one staying in the old winter unheated albergue.

The monk who answered the bell and stamped my Credential also invited me to their evening benediction. As always it was lovely. The service was held in the ancient Romanesque church (wonderfully heated!!) in front of the magnificent silver sculpture of the Virgin. Three monks assisted and asked me to stand with them at the altar.

...In retrospect how special it was that cold snowy night to be the single pilgrim where crowds have stood and will continue to stand throughout time. ...

Margaret Meredith

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.