• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

propalene long johns

Dawn of a new Day

I am travelling in may, with 2 pairs pants/(zip off shorts). The underwear weigh 700grams. do you think this is necessary, or would an umbrella or rain pants be more beneficial.
thanks for your help.
dawn

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
700g? Each? Seems excessive to me. You could try briefs rather than longjohns, and/or silk rather than polypropylene. A pair of wicking briefs shouldn't weigh more than 50g or so.

Some people think walking with an umbrella is pretty naff, but I think it's one of the most effective means of keeping off the rain. Problem is rain often comes with wind, so if someone would just invent an umbrella that can stand up to wind . . .

long johns

hi peter,

thanks for your reply. boy did i goof. the underwear bottoms weigh 150g. the top 125g. so not sure where my figures came from. that is the weight of my coat which is too much (windbreaker) i was also thinking about the wind and the umbrella. i talked with Bethan Davies, author of one of the camino books, she says the jacket is mostly for the wind. I could put out to the universe NO RAIN please, but hey, i am a postie so anything goes.
thanks again
dawn

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi Dawn,
Keep it light.
If it really, really rains, you will probably get wet. It is always a compromise between rain outside and sweat inside....
But, hey, getting wet is not the end of the world. If it is warm and wet, no problem. If cold, there is always a nice bar somewhere, with a decent glass of tinto, and, hopefully, some dry clothes. Me, I like thermals at the bottom of my (waterproof) pack for just such an emergency.
Jill

hi jill, thanks for your input. i agree with less is best, and i think i am doing quite well. my goal is 15 pounds without water or food.us posties usually carry between 20 -35 pounds of mail for minimum 3 hours. good training eh?? i agree warm and wet no problem, i do like the underwear "just in case" as i am only bringing 2 pairs clothes. they don't take up much room and are light. see you on the trail?
dawn

I wish!
But I can't be greedy. I've been lucky enough to make the pilgrimage three times from SJPP to Santiago. This year I had planned to go walk the Via de la Plata, but at the moment it feels like I'm not getting the NOD from St James. People need me here. The camino has taught me to value life as it is, not as one would want it to be. Well, I try anyway.
But that does not stop me rejoicing for you! Have a really really good time.
Kanga.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.