• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

proper church dress

Nanc

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (Sept 2016)
SDC/ Finesterre/ Muxia (2016)
As we visit cathedrals and churches, what is appropriate gear these days? In photos submitted to the forum of pilgrim masses etc, i do not see any head coverings. Are pants and shorts ok?
thanks Nanc

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
@Nanc -

There can be a certain amount of discretion reserved to the local custom (and priest) but here is one certainty -
"No head coverings necessary!" (Not for years now.) But if you pick up a mantilla as a souvenir, wearing it will put you in good stead with the local ladies.

Pants are okay. Shorts are okay as long as they are the modest "hiking" version - somewhere around knee-length, maybe a bit shorter.

The standard rule that I have generally seen enforced (around the world) goes wayyy back and has to do with tops. The rule is this "No sleeveless tops or sundresses."

Buen Camino,

B

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Also, in my experience, people can distinguish between pilgrim on the way and pilgrim already in albergue. On the way you can just walk with whatever you wear into an open church, if you are already settled, aka showered and changed, and then want to go to mass or simply look inside a church people do appreciate longish trousers to shorts. Buen Camino, SY

As we visit cathedrals and churches, what is appropriate gear these days? In photos submitted to the forum of pilgrim masses etc, i do not see any head coverings. Are pants and shorts ok?
thanks Nanc
There are two circumstances to consider: visiting a cathedral or church as a site-seer, and attending Mass. It seemed to me that priests and parishioners were quite pragmatic about pilgrims walking in 'as they were' if the church was open. For Mass, I have always taken the approach that I will dress modestly within the limits of my walking wardrobe. For me, that generally meant long pants, long sleeved shirt and closed toe footwear, although on the CF I occasionally wore sandals. I have heard of some churches in Spain (and elsewhere) requiring women to cover up from knee to elbow, but I never saw anywhere on the CF or CI where such a rule was being applied.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Mantillas are, or were, a thing mostlt from the south of Spain. Today they are worn on very special occasions: religious weddings that require "black tie" attire, an audience with the Pope, Easter week processions. They are not to be confused with the toquilla.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mantillas are, or were, a thing from the south of Spain. Today they are worn on very special occasions: religious weddings that require "black tie" attire, an audience with the Pope, Easter week processions and apparently bullfights. They are not to be confused with the toquilla.

And as an extra note "In accordance with what is known as the privilège du blanc, whereby Catholic female monarchs and the consorts of Catholic monarchs wear white when meeting the Pope, while black is traditionally, though now only optionally, worn by others, Queen Sofia of Spain wore a white mantilla at the requiem mass for John Paul II and at the inauguration of Pope Benedict XVI in 2005. "

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I carried a very thin silky pashmina like shawl. It was very handy for many occasions.
I remember attending Sunday service in Lisbon where the handed out coverings for the ladies that wore tank tops or no sleeves. After service on your way out you handed them back. I thought this to be very practical.

Even at mass I've never felt the need to have worn anything other than my hiking shorts and t-shirt - you can always find a space at the back or in the aisle if you don't want to be too conspicuous - others can easily see that you're a pilgrim by your pack and unshaven face - and give generously to the collection

Just a quick note for newbies to the Camino. When you get to Santiago you are not allowed to take your pack into the Cathedral and there is nowhere you can securely leave it, so I would recommend finding your accommodation first and leaving your pack there. Also be sure to take off your hat if wearing one as the security staff are very quick to approach you for that.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
thanks all for the input= though not catholic, I am obviously old enough to be thinking head and arm coverage in church
glad to hear we can be respectful but practical
Nanc

thanks all for the input= though not catholic, I am obviously old enough to be thinking head and arm coverage in church
glad to hear we can be respectful but practical
Nanc
Oh dear, thank you for asking, especially as you are just looking to be polite as you take on the local culture.

Wear your Camino gear unless it's made up of yoga pants and skimpy tops, that is ;0)... And if it does include a tank top, skinny upper, just add your fleece or other long sleeved item.

But I for one would love to see a picture if a pilgrim in a white mantilla over pilgrim gear!

Just a quick note for newbies to the Camino. When you get to Santiago you are not allowed to take your pack into the Cathedral and there is nowhere you can securely leave it, so I would recommend finding your accommodation first and leaving your pack there. Also be sure to take off your hat if wearing one as the security staff are very quick to approach you for that.
@Devon Mike, its not entirely correct to say there is nowhere to securely leave your pack. For example, the Correos offers a left luggage service (see here) and the pilgrims office claims to offer a left luggage service (see here) although I couldn't find any more details than that. There was wide discussion on the cathedral ban on entering with a backpack at the time, with the usual rants that objected to having to pay anything at all for services the cathedral had organized to assist pilgrims faced with this dilemma.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
@Devon Mike, its not entirely correct to say there is nowhere to securely leave your pack. For example, the Correos offers a left luggage service (see here) and the pilgrims office claims to offer a left luggage service (see here) although I couldn't find any more details than that. There was wide discussion on the cathedral ban on entering with a backpack at the time, with the usual rants that objected to having to pay anything at all for services the cathedral had organized to assist pilgrims faced with this dilemma.

My point was that there is nowhere at the Cathedral to securely leave your pack. I am aware there are other places in Santiago which offer such a service.

My point was that there is nowhere at the Cathedral to securely leave your pack. I am aware there are other places in Santiago which offer such a service.
Sorry, I didn't get that nuance from your post. As long as others know that finding accommodation is not the only option if they want to secure their pack, etc.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I wore my regular clothes, I had no others. I think as long as you keep your shoulders and knees covered (and long pants are probably better), and don't show any cleavage, you're good. Some people carry 'nice' clothes around which I personally find useless (and heavy), everyone knows you're a pilgrim the moment they land their eyes on you. Just being respectful is enough.

@Devon.... There ARE places to leave your backpacks outside the Cathedral. Near the enterance area, there are shops just before the steps going down to the old pilgrims' office. The first one is a shop selling all sorts of trivia and in a corner is a lady who has a shop selling delicious 'pilgrim's cake or santiago cake'. These people keep your pack @2 euros a day. The other places are the post office further down the road, the pilgrims' office does keep your pack for the same 2 euros.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back