• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Proper pronunciation of Sarria

DurhamParish

Un Cerveza, Por Favor
Time of past OR future Camino
Caminho Portuguese 2012 & 2018
Camino Frances 2014, 2015, 2015, 2017, 2018
What is the proper way to pronounce the name of the town Sarria? Is is "SAH-ree-ah", with the emphasis on the first syllable, or is it "sah-REE-ah", with the emphasis on the second syllable, or is it something altogether different? And is it proper to roll the "r's"?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Knowing how letters are pronounced is only one aspect of learning Spanish pronunciation. Another key aspect is knowing which syllable should be stressed.

Fortunately, in Spanish the rules for stress (also known as accent) are straightforward. In fact, there are only three basic rules that cover nearly every word:
  • If a word without an accent mark ends in a vowel, n or s, the stress is on the penultimate (next to last) syllable. For example, toro, computadora, joven and zapatos all have their accent on the next-to-last syllable. Most words fit this category.
  • A word without an accent mark that ends in other letters has the stress on the last syllable. For example, hotel, hablar, madador and virtud all have the accent on the final syllable.
  • If a word isn't pronounced according to the above two rules, an accent is placed over the vowel of the syllable that gets the stress. For example, común, piz, dico, inglés, and oja all have the stress on the indicated syllable.

Thanks everyone. Greatly appreciated.

I will be doing a slack-packing trip with wife and friends from Sarria to Santiago in April. I wanted to be able to pronounce "Sarria" correctly.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Spanish people along the Camino are very very forgiving when it comes to language. We all try to do our best in their native tongue, many speak it quite well, but if you start off with a heavy Irish brogue, speak Italian instead of Spanish because it is so similar(?), or as our Japanese comrades who would pronounce Sarria not as SAR-rya but rather SAL-lya, one quickly understands why they so often answer our lame attempts in English.

I've been mispronuncing it. Thank you for the lesson.

'Allo 'Allo - I suspect it's not the only Spanish I've been pronouncing wrongly. :D

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I find that it is easier to roll the r's if you pronounce the "rr" with a slight "d" in the middle. So Sarria is kind of "Sardria" - you don't really pronounce the "d", just sort of hint at it. That gets your tongue in the right place so that you get a bit of a roll on the "rr".

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
:D I couldn't roll an 'r' if my life depended on it.
If your life depended on it, you'd find it to be an eminently learnable skill. But don't wait for such drastic circumstances;-) If you really do have trouble you could try what worked for me - move to Poland for two years!

I find that it is easier to roll the r's if you pronounce the "rr" with a slight "d" in the middle. So Sarria is kind of "Sardria" - you don't really pronounce the "d", just sort of hint at it. That gets your tongue in the right place so that you get a bit of a roll on the "rr".
If your life depended on it, you'd find it to be an eminently learnable skill. But don't wait for such drastic circumstances;-) If you really do have trouble you could try what worked for me - move to Poland for two years!
:) Thanks. I'll keep trying, but I think, for me, it's going to be a hard row to hoe.

Now, does anyone have any tips on how to get the 'g' right in Agés, or in La Virgen del Camino? Or what is the default for an English-as-a-first-language person? :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Supposedly it sounds different based on if one's first language is Castillian or Gallego......so even in Spain there is some disagreement.

Last edited:
Of course here in Scotland all places have very simple pronounciation ,,,,,,,,,,like Milngavie and Kirkcudbright. o_O

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.