• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Unique Replies to 'Buen Camino': Personalizing the Traditional Greeting

aswansonsr

Time of past OR future Camino
Completed CF Sept, 2022
Perhaps one of the most common activities among all pilgrims is greeting other peregrinos and locals along the way. Equally common, and almost second nature, we offer a "Buen Camino" and receive a "Buen Camino" in return. One morning, I heard a local older gentleman, walking with his mature son, (a nifty aspect of Spanish culture), reply back with "Egualmente", which I take to translate as "Likewise."

What are unique replies to "Buen Camino" which you can share with the forum? How do you put your personal twist on this interaction?

In the monastery at Zabaldika, I learned the most traditional greeting is "Ultreia", Latin for "Forward". The traditional response from those returning from Santiago de Compostela is "Y sus eia" - "And higher to God." This summer on the Camino Frances, I greeted many with "Ultreia". I never received a "Y sus eia." response.

Anyone feel free to correct spelling or translation.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Perhaps one of the most common activities among all pilgrims is greeting other peregrinos and locals along the way. Equally common, and almost second nature, we offer a "Buen Camino" and receive a "Buen Camino" in return. One morning, I heard a local older gentleman, walking with his mature son, (a nifty aspect of Spanish culture), reply back with "Egualmente", which I take to translate as "Likewise."

What are unique replies to "Buen Camino" which you can share with the forum? How do you put your personal twist on this interaction?

In the monastery at Zabaldika, I learned the most traditional greeting is "Ultreia", Latin for "Forward". The traditional response from those returning from Santiago de Compostela is "Y sus eia" - "And higher to God." This summer on the Camino Frances, I greeted many with "Ultreia". I never received a "Y sus eia." response.

Correct spelling is " Igualmente".

Ultreia, although a gorgeous word IMO, is lesser used between pilgrims.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
For what it is worth, I initiate a "buen camino" only for walkers who are visibly recognisable as Camino pilgrims. If they say the greeting first, I reply with "buen camino" and nothing else like "same to you" or similar. I would not attempt saying anything else because most of the time I don't even know what language(s) they would understand. 😊

I greet locals out on a walk with "hola" or "buenos dias" or just a smile and a nod. Like @J Willhaus, when a local says "buen camino" to me first, I usually reply with "gracias". And a smile, of course.

The use of "ultreia" and "y sus eia" is unknown to the majority of Camino pilgrims. The modern narrative, as described in the first post, is just that: a modern narrative that will live eternally on the internet and in guidebooks. I can't remember whether these words are even mentioned as a greeting of old in the Codex Calixtinus or whether they can only be found in the refrain of the well-known multilingual "Song of the Flemish Pilgrims" the text of which is recorded in this ancient document written and compiled in the 12th century. Anyway, that is the main source for this narrative although usually this narrative is just copied from a website, blog or book.

Last edited:
My husband sings the song "Ultreia" with his other singing hospitalero friends when they get together and we've been fortunate enough to have some French pilgrims sing it to us at the albergue in Estella.
I think that you refer to a different and modern song that has been inspired by the medieval song. I learnt it when I walked with a group of French pilgrims. It starts with "Tous les matins nous prenons le chemin" and has a similar refrain with ultreia and sus eia in it. This song is popular with French pilgrims and I quite like it. I had it as my wake up call on my iPhone for some time. There is a hard to find recording by a choir of Norbatine monks (perhaps from Cahors?) which I find very beautiful to listen to.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Buen Camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Ultreia and its response are indeed Latin. If your pilgrim isn't Roman Catholic *and* hasn't participated in a retreat program known as Cursillo, they've probably never heard it in these post-Vatican II days. Frankly, I was surprised to read on these boards about its use, as I did almost no research prior to my first short Camino.

Igualmente, or Igual, is more literally "Equal to you."

And one old gentleman taking the air in his village as we passed said, Buen Viaje "Good travel/journey "

Just smile ;)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
We had a memorable thread in June 2018 about the origin (if at all known and verifiably documented) of ultreia and suseia: Ultreia! Ultreya! Ultreïa!?? What's in the Codex Calixtinus? I glanced through this thread of 70+ posts today and felt exhausted by merely scrolling casually through all this massive output. Or input. Yet I still recall the enthusiasm of looking into this topic and finding all this original stuff on the internet. Ah, those were the days ... 😂

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Not all traditions are as old as they might purport to be. If singing ‘ultreia’ makes the participants feel good about something; then why not?

On being wished ‘buen Camino’ by another peregrino I’d reply as follows:

to someone obviously much older than I (a small and diminishing cohort): gracias, y usted.

To another pilgrim: gracias, buen camino or gracias y tu

To someone not obviously a current peregrino; modify accordingly or just give a cheery hello, g’day, bonjour or whatever. The sincerity and intonation matter rather more than the language.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Simple. If another pilgrims tells you "Buen Camino" you respond with "Buen Camino."
If a local wishes you "Buen Camino" say "gracias."

I wouldn't bother with another response in Spanish if it's another pilgrim because you don't know where they are from, but all pilgrims understand "Buen Camino."

Walking from Santiago to SJPP these past months, occasionally some pilgrims did greet me with Ultreia, to which the proper response is of course E Sus Eia.

It's not Latin, regardless that it is found in a quote found in a Latin manuscript.

Its etymology is unknown, because whilst it's contained in a verse including Flemish and a common Latin phrase that was universal in the whole of Western Europe, Ultreia E Sus Eia is of Romance origin, my best guess would be middle or southern France, or possibly from one of the French-speaking Bourgs that sprung up along the Francès, because over time they switched to the Iberian languages instead, and I think very few records exist of whatever French dialects they actually spoke.

But it's unknown origin, except it's clearly Romance, not Latin or Flemish.

Ultreia, although a gorgeous word IMO, is lesser used between pilgrims.

I started from Le Puy, beside the Massif Central. On the massif the hosts at the communal evening meal provided good fare and led us all in singing the song "Ultreia ..."

On many occasions during the last fortnight to Saint-Jean I kept bumping into things rugby. Relevant here is this minor incident.

On arrival one day mine host, on learning where I was from, told me he had been a professional rugby player.

The next morning we parted warmly with me exclaiming "Allez les Bleus" (Go the Blues) - he was all smiles.

I then added "Allez ultreia les All Blacks" (Go further the All Blacks) - he grimaced a little.

But you are right, @SabsP, a single swallow a summer does not make.

I then added "Allez ultreia les All Blacks" (Go further the All Blacks) - he grimaced a little.
😂 So cheeky, Alwyn.

Gracias [señor/señora] to locals, buen camino to pilgrims. It's not hard, and doesn't really matter. So long as there's kindness behind the words people will get it.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
This may sound a little O.T.T. but my reply on my last camino was: "gracias y buen camino en su vida tambien". Which translates as: Thank you, buen camino in your life also. It was always received well.

Of course, this doesn't work for a "buen camino" called out from a speeding cyclist or car/van/lorry, in which case a smile, a wave and a "gracias" is sufficient.

Last edited:
It is funny because when someone says "buen Camino", my reflex response is "buen Camino!" back to them. Kind of like when someone says "good morning" and you reply back "good morning!". But on my first Camino it was very weird to say "buen Camino" back - because most of the people saying it were locals who saw me passing by. It hardly ever came from other walking pilgrims, which is what I had expected. If I did here it from a pilgrim, it was someone on a bicycle and they were speeding past me shouting "buen Camino" faster than I could process how to respond and they were gone as quickly as they appeared. I guess I did respond with some awkward "buen Caminos" and "Gracias" and "Buenos Dias" . I think for the most part I ended up greeting people with "Hola!" and "Buenos Dias" much more frequently than "Buen Camino".

My second Camino I hardly ever heard "Buen Camino" on the Norte or Primitivo.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
When I walked Camino, I heard the “Buen Camino” greetings mostly from other pilgrims. As such, my reply to the pilgrim was: “Buen Camino Para ti también”; meaning “Buen Camino for you too”.

When the salutation came from a non-pilgrim, my response was: “Gracias, que tenga un buen día.” (Thank you, have a great day.)

As said before, since the majority of the salutations came from pilgrims, I decided to answer then in three languages; Spanish, French, and Galician.

If a particular ¡Buen Camino! from a non-pilgrim local is given in a warmer and more heartfelt manner than usual, I tend to respond with a ¡Y buen Camino en tu vida! - - also to certain hospitaleros and others who have been especially helpful towards an ongoing Pilgrimage/Camino, or with whom a certain sympathy has come about.

So cheeky, Alwyn
Yes, indeed.
I am sure you will remember the rivalry, between mine host's team and my (our?) teams whenever they meet at Rugby.

But all that was dispelled about a week later.

About 10 km from Navarennx a great wind came upon me. Then a great rain, the first in nearly three week. In the wind I could not get my poncho on, so put out my thumb. A jalopy stopped and I got in. No "bon route' greeting. The young woman driving wanted to know, in English, my country. As soon as I said New Zealand she took her hand of the steering wheel and mimed the actions of the haka Ka mate.

Getting back to the topic "proper replies ... "

A common saying at home, especially when separating after a conversation, is "take care" in English or "kia kaha" in te reo Māori.

For many of us it is a reflexive action.

So far, when en route, my reflexes kick in and I reply "kia kaha", whether in Spain, France or UK.

There is much to think about from the thread above.

My big take away is replying with "buen camino" is so inappropriate.

It will take me quite a while to internalise an appropriate reply for each country I will pass through.

Kia kaha tatou (you all take care, be strong), said from my home country.

… But there’s nothing like the strength of your first “Buen Camino,” is there? Brought tears to my eyes the first time I heard it when I was on pilgrimage. Interesting to learn about the roots of these phrases, thank you.
I was very excited to hear those first "Buen Caminos" on the Camino Frances the first time I walked it. I thought, "Wow, I am really here! I am really doing this!"😃...but a few weeks later I'll admit it got a bit tiring.🙄

Related to the post title: Do Spanish pilgrims use usted / ustedes or tú / vosotros? At least in France I was quickly corrected when I used formal pronouns, and was told that pilgrims used the tu form among themselves. It wasn't a question or request (on peut se tutoyer ?) but a statement of fact.

Last edited:
Related to the post title: Do Spanish pilgrims use usted / ustedes or tú / vosotros? At least in France I was quickly corrected when I used formal pronouns, and was told that pilgrims used the tu form among themselves. It wasn't a question (On peut se tutoyer ?) but a statement of fact.
True. You would use usted with an older individual that you might meet in town.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Do Spanish pilgrims use usted / ustedes or tú / vosotros?
In Spain, it is normal to use the familiar "tu" and "vosotros." I learned Spanish in South America and it is still a bit difficult for me to address adult strangers with "tu" and I have never properly learned the "vosotros" endings. However, now that I am old, I can comfortably say "tu" to almost anyone, and I have come to expect it in return even from young clerks in stores.

I have walked with Spanish pilgrims and explained to them that it is simply easier for me to call them ustedes, in plural, and I don't mean to seem unfriendly!

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread.

I found a "Buen Camino" from a local Spanish senior in passing among my most emotional moments walking. They would strike me like an unexpected loud bell clang. While walking full of the reoccurring checklist that cycled through my mind, occasionally an elder would break through my self-focused aura with a sincere, gravitas-filled “Buen Camino.” Those two small words, spoken properly, carried respect and admiration and understanding, deference and admonishment and blessing. These were the spiritual moments. Two strangers with the slightest of interactions, yet encountering each other like Highlanders after centuries. Among those that are forever peregrinos at heart, it is a mutual greeting that is as much felt as heard, a greeting that voices the unfathomable essence and history of the Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The references to greetings to pilgrims from the elderly has reminded me of a very small event.

In May 2016 I was at an evening Mass at Najera.

As with weekday attendance at any parish church there, or here at home, attendance was of the elderly.

The difference en camino is a smattering of pilgrims.

The wooden pews extended across the middle with aisles and shorter pews on both sides.

During the Peace an older lady to my left turned toward me, grasped my extended had with both of hers, leaving a small coin for me to retrieve.

My hearing is such that, if she said something I didn't hear it.

But her smile and gesture spoke volumes.

Buen camino, indeed.

Last edited:
For what it is worth, I initiate a "buen camino" only for walkers who are visibly recognisable as Camino pilgrims. If they say the greeting first, I reply with "buen camino" and nothing else like "same to you" or similar. I would not attempt saying anything else because most of the time I don't even know what language(s) they would understand. 😊

I greet locals out on a walk with "hola" or "buenos dias" or just a smile and a nod. Like @J Willhaus, when a local says "buen camino" to me first, I usually reply with "gracias". And a smile, of course.

The use of "ultreia" and "y sus eia" is unknown to the majority of Camino pilgrims. The modern narrative, as described in the first post, is just that: a modern narrative that will live eternally on the internet and in guidebooks. I can't remember whether these words are even mentioned as a greeting of old in the Codex Calixtinus or whether they can only be found in the refrain of the well-known multilingual "Song of the Flemish Pilgrims" the text of which is recorded in this ancient document written and compiled in the 12th century. Anyway, that is the main source for this narrative although usually this narrative is just copied from a website, blog or book.
I saw Ultreia written a few times on my way years ago. I knew the word as Ultreya! (Onward) from the Cursillo movement. The Cursillo movement was birthed on the Camino back in the 1940s and many references refer back to the Camino.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

I used to simply reply "gracias".

The references to greetings to pilgrims from the elderly has reminded me of a very small event.

In May 2016 I was at an evening Mass at Najera.

As with weekday attendance at any parish church there, or here at home, attendance was of the elderly.

The difference en camino is a smattering of pilgrims.

The wooden pews extended across the middle with aisles and shorter pews on both sides.

During the Peace an older lady to my left turned toward me, grasped my extended had with both of hers, leaving a small coin for me to retrieve.

My hearing is such that, if she said something I didn't hear it.

But her smile and gesture spoke volumes.

Buen camino, indeed.
As AlwynWellington noted above mass and greetings in small towns can be very special.

Imagine my surprise 17/11/2011 when entering the small Rabanal sanctuary to be greeted by the Abbot of the adjacent monastery who smiled as he directly asked "Do you speak English?". When I nodded he then handed me a selection on St Elisabeth and love to read aloud during the evening service. After briefly scanning the passage, I went "live" in front of the assembled 3 other pilgrims and 4 parish members. After the service we all filed out into the frosty mountain night.

...Next morning cold fog swirled white and dense throughout the village. The bread delivery truck was parked where the camino continues westward. Dressed in "civies" the Abbot was buying two huge loaves. As we nodded to each other I thanked him for the past evening's service; he wished me a spiritual Buen Camino and then disappeared into the white.
After these brief encounters each of us would follow our own path into the fog blanketed unknown.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

One of my favorite websites for both food and cultural information around the world is Cultural Backstreets. As your Portuguese Camino may have you starting in or going through Porto, I though you...
Wonderful story! https://www.lavozdegalicia.es/noticia/santiago/santiago/2024/04/23/espiritu-barraca-garcia-lorca-llega-camino/00031713905544318401215.htm Filmmaker and pianist and their...
Anne Chépeau of Radio France in an article published 24/04/2024, describes a special exhibition of paintings and choir carpet of Notre-Dame cathedral restored after the 2019 fire and presently...
As many of us know, over the last years the Camino has risen in popularity for South Koreans. I didn't know it had made it into their dramas, though! I was watching the Korean drama (Kdrama)...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.