A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

Pros & Contras of Camino de Invierno vs Frances

Lirsy

Camino(s) past & future
Primitivo (2017), Norte (2017), Frances (2017), Portugues (2018), La Plata (2018)
Hi!!

I will need to inform pilgrims about the pros & contras of Invierno vs Frances and I have never walked the Camino de Invierno and I would appreciate a lot your help with this!!

If you were in Ponferrada, in May, and a pilgrim asks you about the advantages / disadvantages of taking Invierno, what would you say?

From what I saw, it seems that in Winter there are quite fewer pilgrims, it will be a little more expensive due to the lack of albergues (average 20/25 Euro / day for accommodation), Winter is about 60 km longer than Frances .... and that's all I know. Do you have any other clues to help the pilgrim make a decision?

If the pilgrim finally decide to take Invierno, any important advice?

If the pilgrim finally decides to take Invierno: Do you have any important advice? Alternative caminos? Places you can't miss? etc.

Advertisment

t2andreo

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances: 2013, 2014
Madrid: 2016
Portuguese: 2015, 2017
Invierno: 2018
Voluntario: 2014 to 2017
You are correct. To your assumption that:

1. The Invierno has LOTS of ups and downs. None are too long, but ALL are challenging,

2. Their are NO cafes or bars between most starting & ending places on the Invierno,

3. Finding sellos between stopping places is like a scavenger hunt. It is very difficult and after Monforte de Lemos, the ‘official’ final starting point if you want a Compostela, in becomes very frustrating,

4. The Camino Invierno was the most scenic route I have done yet.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Lirsy

Camino(s) past & future
Primitivo (2017), Norte (2017), Frances (2017), Portugues (2018), La Plata (2018)
Tnx!!

I take notes and I will inform in that direction!!

I would really love to walk that! I love primitivo ... and for what you are telling me, I will love Invierno!! :)

t2andreo

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances: 2013, 2014
Madrid: 2016
Portuguese: 2015, 2017
Invierno: 2018
Voluntario: 2014 to 2017
Yes, from what others tell me about the Primitivo, that sounds about right.

Advertisement

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 6 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 22 4.6%
  • April

Votes: 76 16.0%
  • May

Votes: 131 27.5%
  • June