• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Protecting backpack in checked luggage

The Anacortesians

Take a walk, its good for your soul
Time of past OR future Camino
SJPDP 24 April 2016 - Santiago de Compostela 27 May 2016
We have flight reservations made out of Vancouver BC and I'm wondering if people have used heavy translucent plastic bags to put their packs in and check them to Madrid. With all the straps and such they seem prime to get stuck in machinery. I've seen packs in bags in airports before, what do you pilgrims recommend?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If you can get a bag large enough its a good idea. Some airlines will provide one on request.

Else tighten all straps. Then wrap the loose ends around the tight part of the strap and tuck them in.

And put on your pack cover and tighten securely.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I've bought a purpose built back pack protector from:-
www.pro-tector.co.uk
The one that I have bought is the Dura Rucksack protector. I've yet to use it and put it to the test, but it does look and feel well made. Given that I've bought the Osprey Atmos AG50 (which isn't cheap) especially for my camino I didn't want to have it damaged en route before I'd even started walking
I am not going to be carrying this thing on my camino but posting it on to Ivar in Santiago to pick it up ready for the return journey.
Carrying my backpack on the plane wasn't an option as I've a pair of trekking poles.

Last edited:
I start my Camino 5.june and my sack will be max. 7 kg so I am thinking to bring it into the aeroplane
with me. ✈✈✈✈

I really try not to offer advice that does not respond to the question asked, but I'd just add a gentle nudge here to suggest that you consider carrying on your backpack. If your pack is too large to carry onto the plane, you should just check to make sure that it's not too large for you to carry for a month. I would never ever check my pack. Yes, I know the statistics, I know that 96% of "lost luggage" is quickly found, but having to stay in Madrid and wait a day with the hopes my luggage arrived is just not what I want to do. Buen camino, whatever you decide. Laurie

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I really try not to offer advice that does not respond to the question asked, but I'd just add a gentle nudge here to suggest that you consider carrying on your backpack. If your pack is too large to carry onto the plane, you should just check to make sure that it's not too large for you to carry for a month. I would never ever check my pack. Yes, I know the statistics, I know that 96% of "lost luggage" is quickly found, but having to stay in Madrid and wait a day with the hopes my luggage arrived is just not what I want to do. Buen camino, whatever you decide. Laurie
I fully agree that if you can take your luggage on board that is what you should do. It saves you money, saves you waiting for your bag to come off the plane and on to the carousel and saves any risk of crush damage. However, if you've got a decent pair of trekking poles, or a useful knife you need to check your bag into the hold, either that or buy a cheap knife and trekking poles which can be discarded at the end of your journey.

I fully agree that if you can take your luggage on board that is what you should do. It saves you money, saves you waiting for your bag to come off the plane and on to the carousel and saves any risk of crush damage. However, if you've got a decent pair of trekking poles, or a useful knife you need to check your bag into the hold, either that or buy a cheap knife and trekking poles which can be discarded at the end of your journey.
Just two quick comments. First, make sure you have the right info on carrying on poles. This is a country by country issue, so you should check out the experiences of people from your country of departure. I only can speak for the US, but I have carried my poles on for years with absolutely no problem. And no US forum member has ever reported being told the poles could not go on. Many report carrying them on without a problem.

Second if you want to check your poles, there is no need to check your pack as well. Get a cardboard tube or use bubble wrap. It's a lot easier to buy new poles in Spain than to spend a day or two replacing gear or waiting for a delayed pack to arrive. Just my opinion of course.

We have flight reservations made out of Vancouver BC...
Hola fellow Washingtonian! I bought a 3" mailing tube from UPS (and cut it down lengthwise to fit my trekking poles). I then sewed a quick nylon bag for it. (pink ties have since been removed) Right now I have the bag/tube with poles slipped down into my pack. If at security they say I need to check the poles in, all I have to do it put a luggage tag on the easily identifiable bright orange bag and send it through. I've put my Burgos hotel information in the tube just in case....
25027963034_13c17f8264_m.jpg

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Anyone flying by Ryanair can save themselves the trouble of looking up whether you can carry on your trekking poles. They are definitely something that needs to be checked in.
8.10.1.2 Pointed/edged Weapons & Sharp Objects; pointed or bladed articles capable of causing injury, including axes & hatchets, cleavers, arrows and darts, crampons (grappling iron, hooked bar of iron, or plate with iron spikes used in mountaineering), harpoons & spears, ice axes & ice picks, ice skates, knives with blades of more than 6 cms including lockable or flick knives, ceremonial, religious and hunting knives, made of metal or any other material strong enough to be used as a potential weapon, meat cleavers, machetes, open razors and blades (excluding safety or disposable razors with blades enclosed in cartridge), sabres, swords and swordsticks, scalpels, scissors with blades more than 6 cms as measured from the fulcrum, ski and walking/hiking poles, throwing stars, tradesman's tools with a blade or a shaft of more than 6 cms that have the potential to be used as a pointed or edged weapon, e.g.drills and drill bits, box cutters, utility knives, all saws, screwdrivers, chisels, crowbars, hammers, pliers, wrenches/spanners, blow torches.
Having said that, if you're paying 20€ to check in your poles, I'd let them have the full backpack. Ryanair have a pretty good record on lost luggage and as I'm not having to make any connecting flights I'm pretty confident that my luggage will appear on the carousel.
Nevertheless, if you have been bitten once, stuff you backpack in the locker over your head and don't let it out of your sight!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I use an inexpensive nylon / polyester laundry bag purchased in a dollar store. I bought one in a bright color so my checked piece of luggage would be unique and easy to identify. I leave for Madrid on Monday, 4 April, so this is actually what I am presently doing. I used this technique last year when flying from the States to Portugal to do that Camino, and it works great.

I attached a DESTINATION address tag to the rucksack, with hiking poles attached firmly to one side. The rucksack slides inside the laundry bag. The bag is tied closed, with another DESTINATION tag attached to the tie string. The tie string is then tied securely shut using a square knot, or another suitable locking knot.

This protects the rucksack within from snagging on luggage handling machinery, and gives the baggage handlers ample loose material to grab for a hand hold.

You use a DESTINATION tag so your bag is delivered to where you will BE, not where you started your journey from home. It hardly helps to have your rucksack returned home if it gets misdirected or lost, while you are in Spain or France, Portugal, etc.

Other threads have recommended you have a firm reservation for your first night's lodging. I am staying in Madrid for two nights before starting, so my bag is tagged with that hotel address. I included my e-mail and text contact information on the address tag. My address tags are made using business card stock on my laser printer...easy peasy...

On safe arrival, the outer laundry bag is removed and folded away. It can be used as a rucksack liner, or even a laundry bag. Repeat this sequence when returning home.

I hope this helps. I know it works.

We have flight reservations made out of Vancouver BC and I'm wondering if people have used heavy translucent plastic bags to put their packs in and check them to Madrid. With all the straps and such they seem prime to get stuck in machinery. I've seen packs in bags in airports before, what do you pilgrims recommend?
If you can get the plastic cover I would but I couldn't and just tightened everything fine both ways

Maybe I was lucky but I took 17 flights last year with nothing on my one 60L with no cover or anything and never had an issue. Checked every time. I had a zipper break from use but not from flights.

€46,-
We never vhad any problems carrying walking sticks aboard be sure your rubber tips are on.

I have a deuter back pack and purchased a deuter flight cover, it is basically a duffle bag the back packs fits into, and i agree with the other comments to connect and tighten the straps.

The cheapest solution is to go get some shrink wrap, like the florist uses, at any hobby shop. Use this clear wrap to wrap the backpack, but leave the top handle outside the wrap. Your hair dryer shrinks to fit the backpack like a glove!! Get some clear tape to reinforce the wrap. This worked like a charm for me, and no one undid the wrap.

For the return trip home, yes, I carried some folded shrink wrap in my pack the whole trip, and found clear tape in a store in town before I left.

For the next Camino, I decided to CARRY ON the back pack, with a small string bag that I could separate for the essentials under my seat. I even collapsed my poles, and used carbon-based ones that don't show up on the xray. This worked like a charm for me!! You can see my article on http://www.pilgrimagetraveler.com/packing-list.html for more info if you like!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I had two solutions, one going and one coming back. I volunteer at a place that has shrink wrap. Going, I packed my poles, boots (who wants to go through airports in boots?), etc in the pack, wrapped it, and checked it. I had travel insurance (not expensive) so if it got lost, I would just buy everything new. Besides, the insurance offered great medical coverage (invaluable if you develop a serious health issue). My carry-on bag was a canvas haversack carried over the shoulder. This doubled as my food bag while walking. At the airport I had to repack everything to get out boots and poles ready for walking. For coming back, I carried a 30 gallon black trash bag in the bottom of the pack plus a small 25-ft roll of duct tape. The night before I returned, I repacked for traveling, placed it in the trash bag, and wrapped it snug with duct tape. I'll used the trash bag method both ways next time. Cheap.

I am all packed for departure tomorrow...YIPPEE!:)

At the last moment I decided not to obsess with compressing everything into the 35-liter French rucksack I was considering. I ended up going with my old friend from my three prior Caminos. The rucksack is a 48-liter Osprey Kestrel rucksack. The smaller rucksack would be more suitable to summer Caminos, OR, for use by a much smaller person. A large person, like me, has large clothing, and everything is scaled up, even when packed and compressed.:eek: It all fits comfortably into the 48 liter rucksack.

However, this year, for the first time, my pack weight, all in, is 10 percent of my naked body weight - 245 pounds; I TOLD you I was a big guy! The rucksack completely loaded, weighs 24.5 pounds.

NOTE that this includes my "special weight penalty." Because of chronic health issues, I must carry protein dietary supplements (1.2 Kg / 2.5 pounds for 2 weeks) and my enlarged toiletry and medication sack (1.2 Kg / 2.5 pounds for 2 weeks). I will mail a two-week resupply cache from Madrid ahead to my mid-point, for the second half of my month-long Camino. Factoring in this extra 2.4 Kg or about 5 pounds, my pack is actually LESS than the mythical 10 Kg or 22 pounds!:) That, given my size and weight, is a miracle! THANK YOU DougFitz for being so naggingly correct!

In each of my previous three Caminos, I have mailed stuff ahead to Ivar at Santiago. I am resolved NOT to have to do so this time...it is embarrassing and a private joke between Ivar and me...I receive his "Camino Idiot" frequent user discount... last year on a 10-day Camino from Porto, I actually shipped him FOUR boxes! One was souvenirs and end-of-Camino clothes, but WHAT WAS I THINKING?

However, each year, I make a list of what I mailed down the road to Ivar so I DO NOT bring it the next time. Still, and proving Einstein's maxim about insanity (repeating the same experiment in the hopes of a different outcome...) I somehow manage to do it again and again. But, this time, I scrubbed each item for multiple uses, and used my dietary scale to weigh EVERY item in grams and ounces. IT DOES ADD UP FOLKS! I think the result is as light as I can make it, practically speaking. We shall see when I do my after-action, after-Camino evaluation, as I do each year.

Here is a photo of my rucksack BEFORE the laundry bag, and again AFTER the laundry bag...picture worth one thousand words...;)

Camino 2016 - 1.jpg Camino 2016 - 2.jpg

NOTE the presence and visibility of the DESTINATION tags, both on the rucksack proper, and the outer laundry bag. I use heavy duty rubber bands to fasten the luggage tags. This way they will give if caught on something.

After tying the laundry bag closed, I tucked the excess cordage into the tiny hole remaining.

As always, I hope this helps.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks for all the inputs. We'll simply need to choose now. One option we've been told about is that at the Vancouver airport there is a baggage service for outsized, unique, etc., that will do a quick shrink wrap for 10$ before you check in. We may do that. Still have time to procrastinate and put off decisions -- not in crisis mode until end of next week :)

I start my Camino 5.june and my sack will be max. 7 kg so I am thinking to bring it into the aeroplane
with me. ✈✈✈✈
If you are bringing your backpack as carry on what will you do with your hiking poles? When I went to Peru they made me check them.

We are checking our packs. too many reported glitches with the poles or the packs not fitting into the overhead storage -- especially when we will not be the first boarding and the folks in front of us will be using most of the in cabin storage.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I came from Nz on Saturday. I cable tied my zips and shrink wrapped my entire pack. It was perfect and stayed clean! Just be sure to cut the wrap so that the luggage workers have access to two handles.
(I was so relieved to see my pack, don't take too much anxiety from the horror stories
Best of luck ☺

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Maybe I was lucky but I took 17 flights last year with nothing on my one 60L with no cover or anything and never had an issue. Checked every time. I had a zipper break from use but not from flights.

Yes, I would opine that you were very lucky. Some of us find that an ounce of prevention, in this situation is worth a pound of cure...not to mention the stress reduction.

You use a DESTINATION tag so your bag is delivered to where you will BE, not where you started your journey from home. It hardly helps to have your rucksack returned home if it gets misdirected or lost, while you are in Spain or France, Portugal, etc.

Other threads have recommended you have a firm reservation for your first night's lodging. I am staying in Madrid for two nights before starting, so my bag is tagged with that hotel address. I included my e-mail and text contact information on the address tag. My address tags are made using business card stock on my laser printer...easy peasy...

Hi @t2andreo
We are leaving for our first camino in 3 days and will be checking our packs.
I remembered reading your advice re the destination tag.
Do you know if we can put the address of the Pilgrim's Office in SJPdP on our packs, as we only have 1 night's accommodation prebooked in SJPdP?
If our bags go missing - Dubai, Paris or Biarritz - our accommodation may well be booked out if we need to wait around for our packs.
Thank you.
Carol

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
At this point in your Camino, the Pilgrim Office never heard of you and does not know you. Do you seriously want to take that chance? Besides, accepting wayward luggage is surely not in their remit.

No. Make a hotel reservation at one of the many fine, small hostels and family-run hotels in SJPdP. They are in the business of handling luggage. At least if an airline lost baggage agent phones the hotel, there will be a record of your reservation. Also, if you arrive but a bag does not, contact the hotel to advise them that a lost bag may be sent there to wait for your arrival.

This said, arriving in Europe from another conntinet, outside the EU, necessarily means that the plane does not leave the place of origin until all checked-in passengers are cross matched with all the checked-in luggage. In the post-9/11 travel environment, NO checked luggage flies without the corresponding passenger having been boarded. If the passenger fails to board, their luggage must be found and removed from the plane, for security reasons.

This means that if you land in France or Spain, your bags also landed with you on the SAME PLANE. If a bag were to go "walkabout," it would logically have to occur on the arrival end. And given customs inspections, it is similarly very unlikely you would get separated from your checked bag.

In fact, the only logical scenario I can envision is where you leave the secure customs area without your checked bag. I know that sounds illogical, but that is likely the only way it can happen, ordinarily.

I hope this helps.

Thank you for your help.
We will put the address of our accommodation in SJPDP and trust that all will go well.

All my osprey packs are under 50L so I usually get them on as carry on. No waiting. Love it. But if I ever do have to check them for whatever reason, I always carry a light bag with me to store my pack in when checking. Don't want to tempt fate. But if you don't have a storage bag, most airlines can wrap it in plastic for you. Highly recommended. Straps are like octopus tentacles and can easily get caught in a conveyor belt.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back