• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Protecting your pack on the plane

Jill81

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances ’14,’19
Portuguese ‘15
Via Francigena ’16
Kumano Kodo, Japan 2017
VdlP 2018 to be cont’d
IMG_1940.JPG
For most of us, getting to the start of our camino involves flying and if you want or need to check in your pack it's a good idea to protect it from damage or theft. I know that there are a few threads on this already but here's an alternative. Recently I came across these Ikea zippered polypropylene bags (190 grams) that will swallow up all but the largest backpack and poles for €3/£3/US 3.99. They are cheap, durable, and when you arrive at your destination you can either donate it to someone at the airport or hang onto it for your trip home. I'm wondering if it might serve as a bedbug barrier when in albergues? If you don't want to keep it for the duration of your camino there are China shops in Santiago (the kind people at the tourist office will tell you where the nearest one is) that sell similar bags for a few Euros.

Unfortunately theft from checked items does occasionally occur at the airport so it is worth putting your pack in something, and maybe securing it with a small lock, duct tape or string to discourage inquisitive fingers. I once met someone who was missing a very nice pair of trainers when her pack arrived on the luggage belt but thankfully she had worn her boots on the plane!

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90149148/

FRAKTA Bag from Ikea . . .

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I've been using one of these for a couple of years now. I've tended to carry on my pack, but check this Frakta bag with poles, corkscrew, any larger-than-100ml bottles. I tie it up with spare shoelaces into a scrunchy package, one time I fastened a cable tie round the handles but then had to find scissors to cut it, so now use the laces.

I put my pack in it when at albergues (hoping it is too slippy for bedgbugs to scramble up), and use it when sending my backpack ahead, with the shoelaces tied around the handles.

It does fold down pretty flat, when trodden on, so doesn't take up much space/weight in a pack.

Has worked for me on 3 trips to the camino in Spain, and no doubt will do so in future.

You could also mail it down the road to Ivar in Santiago, so it would be waiting for you on arrival, along with other items you realized on arrival you either would not need for your Camino, or changed your mind about carrying. I use this method to send souvenirs down the road as well.

EVERYTHING weighs SOMETHING. Sooner or later it does add up.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You could also mail it down the road to Ivar in Santiago, so it would be waiting for you on arrival, along with other items you realized on arrival you either would not need for your Camino, or changed your mind about carrying. I use this method to send souvenirs down the road as well.

EVERYTHING weighs SOMETHING. Sooner or later it does add up.
Good idea to mail it ahead with things you can do without . . . Personally I wouldn't hang onto it for the duration of my Camino and in the past have just bought a bag at a China shop to use on the plane.

The China shop idea is also a sound one that I have used previously. However, the IKEA bag, if you can obtain one is a good idea for a reusable bag that has all sorts of uses.

In particular, I like it because there is no mistaking it coming down the baggage belt. Because of the bright color, it is also unlikely that someone would mistake it for their bag and inadvertently walk of with it.

I will need to go to my local IKEA in few weeks for a shelving unit. While I am there, I will try to pick up one of these handy tote bags.

I had my husband bring me a FRAKTA bag when he met me in Santiago. I carried my pack on the plane flying over, out of fear it would get lost. I used a mailing tube for my poles and knife, which I tossed on arrival. But the FRAKTA bag was really useful for checking my bag on the flight to Valencia and then home.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Works for me, although be careful not to load the bag up with too many souvenirs for the trip home. My first one busted a seam on the trip back to Australia. Luckily I didn't lose anything.

Works for me, although be careful not to load the bag up with too many souvenirs for the trip home. My first one busted a seam on the trip back to Australia. Luckily I didn't lose anything.
Hadn't thought of an IKEA bag, but I had recognised the problem of a backpack, with all the straps and buckles, surviving the baggage handling equipment and people. Rang the airline I am travelling with (Qantas) and they said they would not be responsible for any damage to a backpack with loose straps and buckles, which suggests that it is not an uncommon occurrence.

After quite a bit of running around and checking out offerings at outdoor shops, I chanced on a fabric duffel bags in KMart - $15. Big enough to hold all of my backpack, and a bit more, and stay within the airline $20kg limit; and be useful for other purposes later (as well as for travelling for future Caminos). I plan to bundle up the surplus clothing, etc. and forward the duffel bag from SJPP to Santiago.

IKEA bags do seem quite flimsy and subject to failure while being moved around by the airline baggage handlers (I have seen the care they take, and it isn't pretty).

I use the overhead locker across the aisle from my seat, not the locker above me. Better view of any potential mischief. I use light cable ties if I can't lock my check-on - a standard ploy but I've never found one has been removed. I use a patchy/faded roller-bag that looks crap but is in fact a first-rate bag. Leave yours in the summer sun by a window for a few weeks for that lived-in, "neglected" patina.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Both my wife and I have back packs too large for carry on at 60L and 50L. We also have our poles, a cork screw and a small utility knife so we always check our bags. We have nylon 'over bags' we got at the same shop as our pack packs. Our packs are zipped into these before we check them in. Being a decent gauge of nylon, they are very tough over bags. Gives your bag a little more security, but also reduces the chances your back pack gets damaged as baggage handlers typically are not gentle. Would hate to have my unsecured back pack get damaged by a belt on a luggage carasol.
Yeah, they probably weigh half a pound each but fold up very compact. They are worth it in my opinion as with four Camino's under our belts, no loss or damage of any kind...so far!

I am using a Car seat/stroller check bag.

I have a Osprey 70L backpack and the Ikea bag was not big enough. I have to carry a CPAP and that is why I have to have a 70L backpack.

Last edited:
I have seen others using the stroller bags at the carousel. I would like to think the Samsonite gorillas (for those that remember the commercial) would be a bit kinder to a bag which proclaims that a stroller is inside. Plus too much chance they will find a diaper bag as well.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have moved a few posts to a new thread in the Bed Bugs section - so ensure this thread does not get side-tracked.

So as not to derail, I have moved some posts here from the thread about Ikea blue bags used to protect packs in planes.

Are they waterproof? Because if yes, then they would be useful for protecting a backpack from bed bugs. Last time I used plastic garbage bags, but an Ikea bag would be easier and perhaps a bit sturdier.

Actually, just looking at the picture closely I don't think they would be - too loosely woven.

No, they are not entirely waterproof. Water will seep through the seams, fabric and zipper area. The polypropylene material itself is incredibly tough (they are the same material as the other big blue bags sold at Ikea) but like any lightweight bag the seams and straps remain the weak point. I always cut off any extra straps that might get snagged on something and make it as bomb proof as possible with duct tape or cord before checking it in.

When you reach your destination you can either give it away, recycle it, or use it to send stuff ahead. Either way, it saves having to carry around an expensive cover for several weeks. As t2andreo says, EVERYTHING weighs SOMETHING.

Good idea to mail it ahead with things you can do without . . . Personally I wouldn't hang onto it for the duration of my Camino and in the past have just bought a bag at a China shop to use on the plane.
Is there a China shop in Santiago? I've seen them in other cities on the Camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Both my wife and I have back packs too large for carry on at 60L and 50L. We also have our poles, a cork screw and a small utility knife so we always check our bags. We have nylon 'over bags' we got at the same shop as our pack packs. Our packs are zipped into these before we check them in. Being a decent gauge of nylon, they are very tough over bags. Gives your bag a little more security, but also reduces the chances your back pack gets damaged as baggage handlers typically are not gentle. Would hate to have my unsecured back pack get damaged by a belt on a luggage carasol.
Yeah, they probably weigh half a pound each but fold up very compact. They are worth it in my opinion as with four Camino's under our belts, no loss or damage of any kind...so far!
With the size packs you carry you could probably stuff a full set of luggage in them! :eek:

Is there a China shop in Santiago? I've seen them in other cities on the Camino.
Unless it has closed there is a small one right in the centre, and there are several more in Santiago on Google Earth so it shouldn't be a problem finding one. Ask at the tourist office for a "Bazar Chino" and they'll show you on a map. They sell all the typical stuff, including the polypropylene bags, tape and cord.

Yes, there are at least three, good Bazar Chino shops in Santiago. There may be others, and I believe there are two on Rua San Pedro on the walk in on the Camino Frances. But, in my experience working at the Pilgrim Office for four years, and constantly having to scrounge for one needed item or another, here are the three most conveniently located Bazar Chinos that I frequent.

IMHO, the largest, best stocked and most eclectic is in new town, on Rua de Alfredo Branas. As you are walking AWAY from old town, it is on the right just across from a Dia supermercado.

Also in new town, on Rua Montero Rios, directly opposite the Carrefour, is a good but smaller Bazar Chino.

Lastly, in old town, on Rua das Orfas, there is a small but well stocked Bazar Chino. The young Asian lady who works there speaks very good English as well. This location is just about parallel to the Pilgrim House on the parallel Rua Nova #19.

Finding these shops is vastly easier if you either use Google Maps, or go to the TI at #63 Rua do Vilar to get a good FREE map of Santiago. They do give out city maps at the TI for Galicia located at the Pilgrim Office. However, the maps provided at the city TI are MUCH better, at least IMHO.

I hope this helps.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
With the size packs you carry you could probably stuff a full set of luggage in them! :eek:
Our pack sizes have worked well for us. Packs are super comfortable. 100% of our gear is inside our packs, no smaller bags, or items hanging outside our packs or fanny packs required. Bags are not stuffed, easy to get to what we need quickly.
It's great that so much variety of gear is available to the modern hiker and trekker.
I think it is great that smaller packs exist for those that choose to travel ultra light or may have physical issues that prevent them from handling a larger pack.

View attachment 35837
For most of us, getting to the start of our camino involves flying and if you want or need to check in your pack it's a good idea to protect it from damage or theft. I know that there are a few threads on this already but here's an alternative. Recently I came across these Ikea zippered polypropylene bags (190 grams) that will swallow up all but the largest backpack and poles for €3/£3/US 3.99. They are cheap, durable, and when you arrive at your destination you can either donate it to someone at the airport or hang onto it for your trip home. I'm wondering if it might serve as a bedbug barrier when in albergues? If you don't want to keep it for the duration of your camino there are China shops in Santiago (the kind people at the tourist office will tell you where the nearest one is) that sell similar bags for a few Euros.

Unfortunately theft from checked items does occasionally occur at the airport so it is worth putting your pack in something, and maybe securing it with a small lock, duct tape or string to discourage inquisitive fingers. I once met someone who was missing a very nice pair of trainers when her pack arrived on the luggage belt but thankfully she had worn her boots on the plane!

Great idea. I have a bag called a rucksack protector that I bought some years ago after seeing it mentioned on here. It is a great bag with provision for a lock but unfortunately, with its stuff bag, it weighs 1kg and it is not something I would throw away. A visit to IKEA before next April is definitely in my diary :)

I used the waterproof rucksack cover to protect my baggage.using 2 lightweight luggage straps to keep it in place.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
For our last camino we picked up an old suitcase from the op shop for $2 which we checked in. It fit both our packs and poles inside. Everything arrived, nothing missing or broken. The receptionist at our accommodation was happy to donate it back to a charity for us. In Santiago, we picked up a cheap bag for the return, which we donated to our local op shop.

Oh one of my nightmares. I've seen it happen to other people. I never want to see my undies and various other possessions travelling unattended around the luggage carousel in any airport! :eek::eek::eek::p:p:p Though on reflection (which this forum is good at making us do), and in the big scheme of things, a broken travel bag is not the end of the world, provided it isn't at the start of a camino! :p:p:p

View attachment 35837

Loved it!!! Peace of mind.

€60,-
Oh one of my nightmares. I've seen it happen to other people. I never want to see my undies and various other possessions travelling unattended around the luggage carousel in any airport! :eek::eek::eek::p:p:p Though on reflection (which this forum is good at making us do), and in the big scheme of things, a broken travel bag is not the end of the world, provided it isn't at the start of a camino! :p:p:p

:D:D:D

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.