• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Protein Supplements

QuailHiker

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2016)
Camino del Norte y Primitivo (2018)
Anyone know if it is possible to buy protein powder or other protein supplements in supermercados or elsewhere? I make a protein smoothie daily and would like to maintain my protein intake on my upcoming second Camino. Looking for good options -- thanks!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Surely you can find them in all kinds of stores in Spain. Decathlon is a sports store which you can find at least in Pamplona, Logrono, Burgos and Ponferrada (if oyu are walking CF). Also in many other towns.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
In El Corte Inglés and Carrefour. Maybe not your usual product though. You could google the name of your brand, add 'España' and find out if they sell it there.

Anyone know if it is possible to buy protein powder or other protein supplements in supermercados or elsewhere? I make a protein smoothie daily and would like to maintain my protein intake on my upcoming second Camino. Looking for good options -- thanks!
As a veggie I was concerned about protein en route. I took my own powder and also bags of nuts. I also maxed out cheese and egg opportunities. N. Spain is not good for veggies. Saw nuts available in shops but not protein powder - I did the Ingles maybe that is why as it is much quieter then the Frances.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have a bariatric lap band, since 2005, and must also supplement my diet with powdered protein supplements. The brand I am advised to use by my bariatric surgeon is UNJURY (http://www.unjury.com/) and I have been using it daily for 12 years.

At home, I have the protein powder in plastic containers. While traveling or on Camino, I am able to obtain the powder in Chocolate, Strawberry and Vanilla, in individual serving packets. When I travel to Santiago to work for a month at the Pilgrim Office, I pack several large containers, as it is cheaper that way. However, the containers are clumsy, I would NOT even think about bringing them on a Camino.

The UNJURY dissolves well in water and tastes very good. The protein is whey based and each packet contains 20 grams of protein. It does contain an artificial sweetener. But unflavored / unsweetened UNJURY is also available for cooking and mixing. I must use a minimum of 2 servings per day, in addition to any protein I can locally source. So, I plan on two packets (2 x 20 gm) daily.

To use the powder with my water carrying system, I have my favorite collapsible funnel (see it here):

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RY5L11G/?tag=casaivar02-20

The collapsible funnel enables placing the protein powder into any water bottle. In the morning, I add a single serve coffee packet with hot tap water to use to jump start me, until I can get proper coffee at a cafe / bar down the trail. I mix the second to use later in the morning, or early afternoon if I am able to get other food based protein, like the excellent tortilla pie served across northern Spain.

Two weeks of protein powder packets, in assorted flavors, plus the funnel, weigh about one kilo. Each packet weighs about an ounce. The good thing is that the weight diminishes as you walk further.

Finally, to save weight, I always send a supply down the road to Ivar to hold, see Services by Ivar at Santiago, here in the forum. This way, I have a resupply on arrival to tie me over until I return home.

Hope this helps. If you have more questions, send me a private conversation.

I have a bariatric lap band, since 2005, and must also supplement my diet with powdered protein supplements. The brand I am advised to use by my bariatric surgeon is UNJURY (http://www.unjury.com/) and I have been using it daily for 12 years.

At home, I have the protein powder in plastic containers. While traveling or on Camino, I am able to obtain the powder in Chocolate, Strawberry and Vanilla, in individual serving packets. When I travel to Santiago to work for a month at the Pilgrim Office, I pack several large containers, as it is cheaper that way. However, the containers are clumsy, I would NOT even think about bringing them on a Camino.

The UNJURY dissolves well in water and tastes very good. The protein is whey based and each packet contains 20 grams of protein. It does contain an artificial sweetener. But unflavored / unsweetened UNJURY is also available for cooking and mixing. I must use a minimum of 2 servings per day, in addition to any protein I can locally source. So, I plan on two packets (2 x 20 gm) daily.

To use the powder with my water carrying system, I have my favorite collapsible funnel (see it here):

http://www.amazon.com/Silicone-Collapsible-Foldable-Funnel-Light/dp/B00RY5L11G/ref=sr_1_4?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1519825660&sr=1-4&keywords=Mini+Collapsible+Funnel&dpID=318f%2BuyJl1L&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

The collapsible funnel enables placing the protein powder into any water bottle. In the morning, I add a single serve coffee packet with hot tap water to use to jump start me, until I can get proper coffee at a cafe / bar down the trail. I mix the second to use later in the morning, or early afternoon if I am able to get other food based protein, like the excellent tortilla pie served across northern Spain.

Two weeks of protein powder packets, in assorted flavors, plus the funnel, weigh about one kilo. Each packet weighs about an ounce. The good thing is that the weight diminishes as you walk further.

Finally, to save weight, I always send a supply down the road to Ivar to hold, see Services by Ivar at Santiago, here in the forum. This way, I have a resupply on arrival to tie me over until I return home.

Hope this helps. If you have more questions, send me a private conversation.
Thank you, Tom. Where do you get the individual packets while on the Camino? I am planning to walk the del Norte/Primitivo starting in mid-April.

I think it is impossible to buy the exact type of protein I use while actual on Camino. I must bring my full supply form the States.

When I have looked for powdered protein supplements, I have only found them in the largest supermarkets in the largest cities. And then there is not a lot of choice. It is a niche market. You might try a farmacia. But, I have no experience with this.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
You can find protein powders and such at El Corte Ingles or in sports nutrition shops. I googled "nutrición deportiva Coruna" and found 6 shops. There's 1 in Ferrol. You could try that for the major towns you will be going through to stock up as you go.

I could swear that I've seen some also in certain farmacias, but will be looking myself next week when I return to Galicia.

You can also get a good batida de proteína in a gímnasio (fitness center). Try the farmacia and the droguero.
If you prefer a special brand, you might contact their customer service to ask if and where it is available in Spain.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.