A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

PSA: Crocs shrink (and how to unshrink them)

Geodoc

Camino(s) past & future
Frances (crossed Pyrenees then Sarria to SdC) 2018, Frances & Ingles Summer, 2019.
I'll be doing the CF in the summer, and unfortunately, due to the size of my feet (I could give Sasquatch a run for his money) I have to strap my Croc sandals to the outside of my pack. Crocs apparently shrink when exposed to direct sun (and heat). Fortunately, they can also be unshrunk (is that a word?) back to the original size with heat. Here's a good link that explains how to do it: How to Un-Shrink Croc Shoes That Have Shrunk.

I think it would probably work to just put the hot Crocs on while they're still hot from the sun (but have socks or something else covering your feet to prevent burning) upon arrival at the albergue. I'll see how this works in three months.

If anyone has prior experience with this (unshrinking, that is, not getting feet burned by hot Crocs), please comment.

Vacajoe

Traded in my work boots for hiking ones
Camino(s) past & future
2019 Biarritz-Pamplona-Lourdes
2018 Aragon/Frances/Finis
2018 Operation Sabre
2018 Marin Ramble
My daughter has worn crocs for 15 years in the hot, hot sun of Sacramento, California. She often left them outside in the sun, but shrinkage was NEVER an issue. My size 14 Crocs often hung on the outside of my pack this past spring while walking the CF and I also never experienced that issue. Not sure it’s a problem you need to worry about.

easygoing

Camino Sharon
Camino(s) past & future
I have walked the Camino Francis 7 times, twice in 2017 and 2018. (2019)
Yes, I have experience with shrinking and stretching Crocs. My husband left his in the sun on the porch and they shrank. For myself I ordered a new pair and they were too loose.
Well, place your Crocs in the dryer for 5 minutes with a couple of towels on medium to high. Don't be surprised when they look even smaller. Put them on over thick socks and wear them until cool.
If your Crocs are too big the dryer will shrink them. If the first time you try this you stretch them too much, just repeat the process. I wish I would have known this before I gave all my brand new loose Crocs to my daughter. I love Crocs but the sizes vary according to style.

Felice

Camino(s) past & future
SJPP to Santiago Sept 2014
Is there any way to stretch crocs a little? My Mary Jane crocs are just a bit tight and I'd love to stretch the back strap a bit.

Geodoc

Camino(s) past & future
Frances (crossed Pyrenees then Sarria to SdC) 2018, Frances & Ingles Summer, 2019.
Try using the method I posted the link to. That might work.

RumAndChupacabras

Do unto other's as you would have them do unto you
Camino(s) past & future
Jul-Sept 2019 ~Apr. 2018 Oviedo, Santo Toribio, Covadonga~May/June 2016 Portuguese
Only recently am I giving serious thought to purchasing Crocs. This is the first I'm reading about shrinking. Thanks for this thread and replies!

Thread starter OLDER threads on this topic Forum Replies Date
Just_Me Equipment Questions 15
Charles Zammit Equipment Questions 22
P Equipment Questions 43
evanlow Equipment Questions 15
B Equipment Questions 2

OLDER threads on this topic

Book your lodging here

Booking.com

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 12 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 41 4.3%
  • April

Votes: 142 14.9%
  • May

Votes: 237 24.9%