• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

PSA: Crocs shrink (and how to unshrink them)

Geodoc

Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2018 (across Pyrenees, then Sarria to SdC), CF 2019 (SJPdP to Finisterra & Muxia), CI 2019
I'll be doing the CF in the summer, and unfortunately, due to the size of my feet (I could give Sasquatch a run for his money) I have to strap my Croc sandals to the outside of my pack. Crocs apparently shrink when exposed to direct sun (and heat). Fortunately, they can also be unshrunk (is that a word?) back to the original size with heat. Here's a good link that explains how to do it: How to Un-Shrink Croc Shoes That Have Shrunk.

I think it would probably work to just put the hot Crocs on while they're still hot from the sun (but have socks or something else covering your feet to prevent burning) upon arrival at the albergue. I'll see how this works in three months.

If anyone has prior experience with this (unshrinking, that is, not getting feet burned by hot Crocs), please comment.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My daughter has worn crocs for 15 years in the hot, hot sun of Sacramento, California. She often left them outside in the sun, but shrinkage was NEVER an issue. My size 14 Crocs often hung on the outside of my pack this past spring while walking the CF and I also never experienced that issue. Not sure it’s a problem you need to worry about.

Yes, I have experience with shrinking and stretching Crocs. My husband left his in the sun on the porch and they shrank. For myself I ordered a new pair and they were too loose.
Well, place your Crocs in the dryer for 5 minutes with a couple of towels on medium to high. Don't be surprised when they look even smaller. Put them on over thick socks and wear them until cool.
If your Crocs are too big the dryer will shrink them. If the first time you try this you stretch them too much, just repeat the process. I wish I would have known this before I gave all my brand new loose Crocs to my daughter. I love Crocs but the sizes vary according to style.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Is there any way to stretch crocs a little? My Mary Jane crocs are just a bit tight and I'd love to stretch the back strap a bit.

Try using the method I posted the link to. That might work.

Only recently am I giving serious thought to purchasing Crocs. This is the first I'm reading about shrinking. Thanks for this thread and replies!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'll be doing the CF in the summer, and unfortunately, due to the size of my feet (I could give Sasquatch a run for his money) I have to strap my Croc sandals to the outside of my pack. Crocs apparently shrink when exposed to direct sun (and heat). Fortunately, they can also be unshrunk (is that a word?) back to the original size with heat. Here's a good link that explains how to do it: How to Un-Shrink Croc Shoes That Have Shrunk.

I think it would probably work to just put the hot Crocs on while they're still hot from the sun (but have socks or something else covering your feet to prevent burning) upon arrival at the albergue. I'll see how this works in three months.

If anyone has prior experience with this (unshrinking, that is, not getting feet burned by hot Crocs), please comment.
Ha! You learn something new every day. Shrinking crocs... yesterday I found the one shop in Dublin (that I could find in the city centre) that stocks Crocs. Plenty advertise, but then the assistants look at you blankly, no, we don’t stock them... there used to be a shop... I know there used to be a shop. I never did go in to it. However, back to the shop where I bought not one but two pairs of crocs yesterday. Why? A few reasons. My second toe on left foot has decided to part company from its 71 year old space and move east. So I want to try to tame it with the between toe strap on both styles. The flat pair will be for the pool, on or off camino. The mesh pair will be for when the day’s walking is done. Either will be fine for using in the shower. I don’t plan on leaving them outside my pack while walking, and they are both soft and squishable. They weigh very little. I have a very broad foot and both sandal styles are fine for me. They are usable for many occasions, on or off camino. I did manage to wear my keen sandals everywhere this last year, so walking on that kind of footbed isn’t a problem. So I will walk in my trusty meindl shoes and recover in my airy crocs. Let’s see how it works...
1CCCF250-B175-4886-BE7E-47226D0684EA.jpeg930418DB-9923-49DC-AAAC-B005A9F55856.jpeg

Hello! Geodoc, thanks for the link! I was looking for some shrink methods and u gave a such good info. How do you thing is some of them works on kids Crocs? We have Crocband Clog (first one here ) Thank you once more!
Try the dryer method mentioned by easygoing earlier in the thread.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.