• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Public Albergue in Azambuja

Diogo92

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
C. Português 2013, 2014
C. de Fátima 2014
C. do Salnés 2015
NOTE from Moderator

This post, from 2014 announced an albergue in Azambuja, which subsequently closed. The albergue has reopened, but it is in a new place. To avoid confusion, I deleted the old information, and here is the new information:

The new one: 12 places, 5 euros (at least), Rua do Espírito Santo, follow signs from the entrance into Azambuja to "Refúgio do Peregrino".

Attachments

• 10649711_836280189723565_5440748221812171141_n.jpg
    10649711_836280189723565_5440748221812171141_n.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 178
Last edited by a moderator:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thanks, Diogo -- More good news for pilgrims walking from Lisbon. It's hard to believe that when I walked in 2009, there were no albergues at all between Lisbon and Porto. This must bring the number up to around 10! Not bad for a five year period. Bom caminho, Laurie

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks for this update, Rodrigo, it is great news for peregrinos. Those first couple of days from Lisbon are getting easier. Now you can go day 1 to Alpriate (20) and then day 2 from Alpriate to Azambuja (35). That's still a long second day, but it is flat and probably doable by many.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Now you can go day 1 to Alpriate (20) and then day 2 from Alpriate to Azambuja (35). That's still a long second day, but it is flat and probably doable by many.

No need to do such a long day; split it in two. Alpriarte to Vilafranca de Xira is about 17kms, and Vilafranca to Azambuja is about 18kms. Perfect!!
Jill

After more then two years without Albergues the city of Azambuja reopens the Albergue of Santa Casa da Mesiricordia

Hi Rodrigo, I am delighted to hear that Azambuja now has an albergue. Surely it is more than 2 years since there was one there? In 2012, 5 years ago, I walked past the Ouro Hotel on the edge of town. After several hours of walking around town, knocking on doors, there was literally nowhere else to stay. The brand new Ouro had undercut all the other establishments. They had all closed down. I had to walk back a kilometre and stay at the Ouro. In 2014, 3 years ago, I had to stay at the Ouro again.

An albergue in Azambuja is fantastic news!
Jill

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hey, the Ouro was fine - very nice receptionist, pleasant room, and very good dinner...

Yes, the Ouro is great, a nice place! I just didn’t like the way they started up. The rooms were ridiculously cheap for about a year, so commercial travellers, and others, soon stopped going to the old pensions and guest houses in town. After every single one of them had closed down, the Ouro then increased their rates.
Jill

I talk to hundreds of pilgrims every month that contact our Pilgrim Association... So I believe that an Albergue it's the basic accommodation for pilgrims.
In a pilgrimage from Lisbon to Santiago must pilgrims typically will sleep out 23 nights so it's important to have affordable accommodation. This policy opens the Caminho to more pilgrims independently of they're money.

Last edited:
Currently staying on albergue of Azambuja located in Russia do Espírito Santo n16. Just opened this Monday, 10th July 2017. 12 beds. 2 bathrooms. Kitchen. Place to wash and dry clothes. 5,00 euros. Very nice welcome.
It's easy enough to find the albergue if you look up to the transit sign posts. The arrows unfortunately don't take you there. Beautifully marked from the albergue to the caminho.

Dinner at snack-bar Totila a stone throw away from the albergue. Always a good sign when there are locals eating there. Full meal at 9,90 euros. Very welcoming.

Vila Franca de Xira needs an albergue but the hostal was fine.
Alpriarte is on par with the best welcoming there is around - Fuenteroble del Camino and Bodenaya came to mind.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Surely it is more than 2 years since there was one there?

The albergue in Azambuja was open in other location from 18-09-2014 to 09-04-2016.
There's still other accommodations besides Hotel Ouro. Yesterday I had dinner with 2 pilgrims that are staying there because they couldn't find the albergue. (Which reminds me that I have to edit my previous post once again).

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The albergue in Azambuja was open in other location from 18-09-2014 to 09-04-2016.

Ah, that explains it. There was no albergue when I first stayed in Azambuja (30 Apr 2012), and I had to stay at the Ouro, as nothing else was open (believe me, I trudged all round town knocking on doors). There was also no albergue the second time, on 23 Jul 2014.

There's still other accommodations besides Hotel Ouro.

I am glad that now, 3 years later, there are alternative accommodation options in Azambuja. I do hope that some of the original places, that closed down 5 years ago, have risen from the ashes, as they were all family-run, and no doubt needed the business.
Jill

You still have on the list the old one, closed since 2016.
The new one: 12 places, 5 euros (at least), Rua do Espírito Santo nº1, signed since the entrance of Azambuja as "Refúgio do Peregrino". The phone # is the private phone of person in charge of the bureaucratic affairs of the Albergue, not usually there. There is no Albergue phone number or email.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You still have on the list the old one, closed since 2016.
The new one: 12 places, 5 euros (at least), Rua do Espírito Santo nº1, signed since the entrance of Azambuja as "Refúgio do Peregrino". The phone # is the private phone of person in charge of the bureaucratic affairs of the Albergue, not usually there. There is no Albergue phone number or email.

Thanks! Fixed now :)

Just to follow this up, the albergue was closed "temporarily" while the church/town worked on reformations. It has now re-opened down the road at Rua do Espírito Santo, 1.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I think this is where my granddaughter and I will head for on our first day out of Lisbon. I have heard nothing but good reviews, and I love the yarn bombing of the trees out front! See you on Aug 12!

I think this is where my granddaughter and I will head for on our first day out of Lisbon. I have heard nothing but good reviews, and I love the yarn bombing of the trees out front! See you on Aug 12!

Hi Coleen, Azambuja is about 3 days from Lisbon. I think you must be thinking of Alpriarte.
Bom caminho.
Jill

Hi Coleen, Azambuja is about 3 days from Lisbon. I think you must be thinking of Alpriarte.
Bom caminho.
Jill
Just looked it up in my Brierleys. My mistake. I will still be stopping there, just not as soon!:rolleyes:

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The Albergue in Azambuja is definitely closed, we tried to stay there on Saturday, but there is a notice on the door stating that it is closed.

We also tried the Recidencial Flor De Primavera, which was recommended to us, unfortunately the lady operating the place told us that she felt she did not want any pilgrims today, but maybe another day, we walked away totally confused, the only place open at present in Azambuja is the Ouro hotel where we stayed.

When we stayed at the albergue in Alparite two days earlier the Hospitaller there told us that she is also closing this weekend until March next year.

We found the albergue in Santarem also closed, though the Santarem hostel is open.

I think we may have problems heading north with albergue not open, I will update as we walk north.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The Albergue in Azambuja is definitely closed, we tried to stay there on Saturday, but there is a notice on the door stating that it is closed.

We also tried the Recidencial Flor De Primavera, which was recommended to us, unfortunately the lady operating the place told us that she felt she did not want any pilgrims today, but maybe another day, we walked away totally confused, the only place open at present in Azambuja is the Ouro hotel where we stayed.

When we stayed at the albergue in Alparite two days earlier the Hospitaller there told us that she is also closing this weekend until March next year.

We found the albergue in Santarem also closed, though the Santarem hostel is open.

I think we may have problems heading north with albergue not open, I will update as we walk north.

The Albergue of Azambuja will open next sunday.
It was closed due to bedbugs.
They replaced all mattresses with full
disinfestation of the Albergue.

The Albergue in Santarem wasn't closed.

You can find alternative Albergues to stay at:
http://www.caminho.com.pt/onde_ficar_e.html

Last edited:
We also tried the Recidencial Flor De Primavera, which was recommended to us, unfortunately the lady operating the place told us that she felt she did not want any pilgrims today,
In April, the albergue being not then open, I also stayed at the "Residential Flor". 20 Euro for single occupancy of a twin bedded room with ensuite.
Older, spotless, comfortable.
I think your experience points to the ever increasing use of variable pricing depending on expected number of accommodation enquiries. Much the same as has occured in the airline industry.
I would suggest that a rate such as I paid would be unavailable if the expectation was that all vacant rooms could be filled at a higher price.
Altho I commiserate, and would be likewise annoyed, I do understand the reasoning that would ensure the maximum return for the property's owner.
Regards
Gerard

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
In April, the albergue being not then open, I also stayed at the "Residential Flor". 20 Euro for single occupancy of a twin bedded room. Older, spotless, comfortable.
I think your experience points to the ever increasing use of variable pricing depending on expected number of accommodation enquiries. Much the same as has occured in the airline industry.
I would suggest that a rate such as I paid would be unavailable if the expectation was that all vacant rooms could be filled at a higher price.
Altho I commiserate, and would be likewise annoyed, I do understand the reasoning that would ensure the maximum return for the property's owner.
Regards
Gerard

Completely agree. Especially if you go to smaller, non-albergue places, make sure you check in advance about the price. Failure to do so may give you an unpleasant surprise. Here's a recent experience from near Lisbon. Pilgrims arrived in the albergue in Alpriate and it was full. The hospitalero (a Lisbon native who has volunteered a lot at this albergue) had a list of alternative places in the vicinity and called a man who had recently given them his phone number. The story was that this guy had an AirBnb house three km away, with a room with 2 bunk beds for four. He said he would pick up the pilgrims and bring them back to the Caminho in the morning. Price 30 €. Good price, the hospitalero thought. So, after speaking with the pilgrims, the hospitalero asked the owner to come pick them up. Next morning, the pilgrims were shocked when the owner asked for 30 euros each. You can be sure the Alpriate albergue will never call that guy again! But the pilgrims were kind of stuck, since there had been no confirmation between them and the owner before they got into the car. In hindsight it all seems so obvious, but the hospitalero never imagined the owner could be saying 30€ for each bed! Moral of the story -- make sure to ask specifically, get it in writing if you are unsure.

Most read last week in this forum

Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back