Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Create your own ad
€1,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
2021 Camino Guides
Most all Camino authors have decided to use 2020 guides for 2021, with free PDF files with updates coming in the spring. Get yours today.

Public Albergues in Galicia open up again at 30% capacity

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
There was a press conference today, where this was announced:

As of today (march 11th 2021) we are allowed to move around freely in Galicia, but not allowed to cross over to another region. So this news means (I guess) that the people that live in Galicia (and are here now) can walk the Camino again (at least inside Galicia).

We are getting closer... step by step. Until then, stay safe!
Ivar

Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.
CaminoSupply.com
Apparel and accessories for your Camino
Year of past OR future Camino
How is the vaccination rate in Spain? How many residents have gotten at least one vaccination so far? What are the government's plans for getting everyone vaccinated? Just trying to gauge the progress of when an "all clear" might be issued. The news about Galicia is welcome.

SabineP

Camino = Gratitude + Compassion.
some and then more. see my signature.
How is the vaccination rate in Spain? How many residents have gotten at least one vaccination so far? What are the government's plans for getting everyone vaccinated? Just trying to gauge the progress of when an "all clear" might be issued. The news about Galicia is welcome.

This site might be a good start.

dick bird

Plata, Ingles, Madrid, Norte, Primitivo, Invierno, Aragones, Olvidado, Chemin D'Arles

As of today (march 11th 2021) we are allowed to move around freely in Galicia, but not allowed to cross over to another region. So this news means (I guess) that the people that live in Galicia (and are here now) can walk the Camino again (at least inside Galicia).

Ivar
As I understood it, there is an anomaly whereby foreigners can fly into Spain, but Spanish people (or foreign travellers) cannot travel between regions. Was this until further notice or just for Holy Week? The eldiario article also mentions that 2022 is also to be considered to be a Holy Year.

how to successfully prepare for your Camino
This book's focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared.
Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.

lt56ny

Veteran Member
CF(2012) Le Puy/CF (2015) Portugues (2017) Norte (2018) CF (2019) VDLP?
I have been checking this Bloomberg page for vaccination status by country.

I have limited access to Bloomberg. Don't know why. Here is the link to the New York Times tracker:

Based on their numbers Spain has administered a little over 5,100,000 vaccines/11 per 100 people. Pretty much in line with the rest of Western Europe.

Richard of York

I have limited access to Bloomberg. Don't know why. Here is the link to the New York Times tracker:

Based on their numbers Spain has administered a little over 5,100,000 vaccines/11 per 100 people. Pretty much in line with the rest of Western Europe.
*with the rest of the EU.

lt56ny

Veteran Member
CF(2012) Le Puy/CF (2015) Portugues (2017) Norte (2018) CF (2019) VDLP?
*with the rest of the EU.
Hi, What you said was true. The reason I wrote Western European Countries was that it seems that many pilgrims are from Western Europe (statistically speaking) or enter Europe through a Western European Portages. The Western European countries (I believe memory serves me correctly) were all at 11 pe100 people. The rest of EU was either near that number or higher or lower. I was just trying to stress that the situation at this moment was about the same in all these countries. No offense was intended.

vegdff

Ivar
Hello,
I am Portuguese, and I am planning to Start the Camino in Porto just after Easter, if the Portugal/Galicia border reopens until there. Do you think, in terms of logistics, like accommodation due to the restrictions will be possible to do it? I know that on the Portugal' side things will be ok in that time.

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
Hello,
I am Portuguese, and I am planning to Start the Camino in Porto just after Easter, if the Portugal/Galicia border reopens until there. Do you think, in terms of logistics, like accommodation due to the restrictions will be possible to do it? I know that on the Portugal' side things will be ok in that time.
As things are now, I think things would be ok on the Spanish side. If you are able to enter into Spain /Galicia. Right now it is not possible to enter Galicia from another Spanish region. Not sure how it will be from Portugal.

Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store
how to successfully prepare for your Camino
This book's focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared.

natefaith

Staff member
Hello,

Hi @vegdff and welcome to the Forum! Keep in mind that all the Spanish regional borders will be closed at least through April 9. I'm not sure which date you would plan to enter Spain, but before April 9 it would not be possible. Once you got to Galicia, though, the albergues in Galicia would still be open (according to the first announcement in this thread) unless something has changed. Buen Camino!

Camino Frances and Invierno (2019)
Camino Frances (2021)
As things are now, I think things would be ok on the Spanish side. If you are able to enter into Spain /Galicia. Right now it is not possible to enter Galicia from another Spanish region. Not sure how it will be from Portugal.
So if I can fly to Santiago from Copenhagen, then I can hike in Galicia? 🤞

Kathar1na

To Santiago and back (roads & paths; Tours; Francés; sea; roads & paths)
Worth noting that despite the fact that the Xunta of Galicia announced a month ago that they would open their albergues and that this was widely reported in the press, they did not open their public albergues in the end and keep them still cerrado, as is also widely reported. They say that there is no need to open them because the private sector is able to cover the currently low demand for beds.

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, they seemed to announce that they would open at 30%, but then they stayed closed. There are other lodging possibilities, but you would need to plan a little I think (or call around for each stage).

It is possible to fly into Santiago (Galicia) and walk now from a Schengen country. Said in another way, it is not illegal. Galicia (as of 8/4) is at 71 new infections (last 14 days) per 100 000 inhabitants.

I am not sure what requirements there is for Danish travels traveling to Spain right now.. I am sure it would be a negative PCR test, but not sure if anything else. You would need to check this if you are thinking of traveling.

natefaith

Staff member
So if I can fly to Santiago from Copenhagen, then I can hike in Galicia? 🤞

Yes! You're correct as far as what the law is right now. Whatever region you fly into (Galicia), you need to stay in that region (Galicia).

Someone who just walked from O Cebreiro during Semana Santa said that she was surprised how closed things still were. The Xunta albergues were closed, and she had to sleep outside one night as the small villages she passed through had no lodgings open. If you'll be walking soon, make sure you can call ahead to book places so you're not caught outside (unless you like that sort of thing!)

Donation to the Forum
Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.

trecile

Camino Addict
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)
Someone who just walked from O Cebreiro during Semana Santa said that she was surprised how closed things still were.
That's very interesting and good information for anyone who is thinking about walking any time soon.

JaviPilgrim

And today I've just finished my second Camino, luckily with nice weather all along.

The fact that most establishments were still closed didn't make the planning very straight forward but in the end there were no surprises and managed to find accomodation and a good meal on every destination. MInd you, forward reservations are a must at this time, as public albergues are still closed and only a few private hotels and hostels are open. The Camino de Invierno is an absolute beauty for the senses, walking along or crossing many rivers, big and small, especially on the first half, where the Sil river is your friend for many miles. Oak, pine, and chestnut forests, olive groves (probaly the Northernmost of Spain) and vineyards are all part of the landscape. We cross three different wine producing regions, so there is another reason to enjoy this particular route.

Due to the local restrictions, I had to cut the first two stages out of the way, the ones starting outside Galicia, but this is just an excuse to do it again in the future, maybe on a bicycle next time. One important piece of advice is to avoid this journey in the summer, as temperatures in the Southern part of Galicia can easily reach 35-40ºC. Spring or autumn are your best bets, even winter (hence the name) but you would have to be ready for the cold; at this time of the year, mid April, I was starting my journeys just before dawn and the temperatures were barely above zero at that time, rising to a nice 17-20ºC during the day. I imagine in the middle of winter it would be cold and, the biggest drawback, the days would be short. Considering there are a few stages above 30km long, that would put some pressure to reach our destination during the daylight hours depending on our fitness and pace.

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 100 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads