• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Public holiday at start of May?

Jep

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan to walk the Camino in May (2017)
I'm hoping to walk the Camino in May 2017. I've read a few of the posts in this forum, and they suggest things get busy around the holiday weekend at the start of May, which I think is the weekend of Monday 1st May 2017.

Based on the above, how many days would it be worth waiting before it gets a bit quieter? I will have until 4th June to make it to Santiago.

Thanks

Jep

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The Camino Pilgrim Office in St Jean (apparently) is open every day of the year. The only real problem you may have is when you are in the smaller towns and its the local Saints Day/Festival Day - then nearly all the shops will be closed and the bars/cafes may not be open until later in the day - say after 3.00/4.00 pm. No personal experience of how it affects the albergue accommodation situation. Cheers

I'm hoping to walk the Camino in May 2017. I've read a few of the posts in this forum, and they suggest things get busy around the holiday weekend at the start of May, which I think is the weekend of Monday 1st May 2017.

Based on the above, how many days would it be worth waiting before it gets a bit quieter? I will have until 4th June to make it to Santiago.

Thanks

Jep

Hi, my guess is there will be huge crowds starting in St Jean and Roncesvalles on Saturday 29 April and Sunday 30 April. If you arrived in St Jean on Tuesday 2 May the big wave will hopefully be ahead of you, but it is still going to be busy. Jill

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks all - Jill, this is particularly useful info.
Hi, my guess is there will be huge crowds starting in St Jean and Roncesvalles on Saturday 29 April and Sunday 30 April. If you arrived in St Jean on Tuesday 2 May the big wave will hopefully be ahead of you, but it is still going to be busy. Jill

Are the crowds likely to be walking all the way to Santiago? Also, will the crowds be of a sufficient number to cause many No Room at the Alberge issues en route?

Thanks again,

Jep

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Would recommend booking first few days from Roncesvalles onwards. Last may accomodation has been rather difficult all the way to Logrono, where they do have a rather important fiesta sometimes in may lasting for a few days.

Would recommend booking first few days from Roncesvalles onwards.
As an alternative, book to Roncesvalles, then call ahead each day to see what is available based upon how you are feeling and how far you think you can go. You will always be able to find a bed by phone and you will save wandering around town!:)

Are the crowds likely to be walking all the way to Santiago?

Yes, but not the same crowds. Many people walk only 1, 2 or 3 weeks each year, starting where they left off the previous year. So you’ll meet people who leave at, say, Pamplona, but then you’ll meet others who start in Pamplona. It thins out a bit between Burgos and Leon. Jill

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks everyone, I think I'll mix up the booking a bed ahead, phoning and chancing it. I guess that's 3 different experiences to build in, always a good thing!
Jep

The weekend prior to May 1 will be very busy for all long
distance transport throughout France. Be prepared!
I knew this but SNCFE still wont let me book my seat. I have tried just about every booking site - as soon as I put in an Australian credit card - its blocked. I think I can book at the end of January. Cheers
(PS HNY!!)

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back